Going Back to the Spread ...

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Going Back to the Spread ...

Post by madeinhawaii »

From today's (7/24/2014) Advertiser article regarding the QBs:

"Woolsey appears to be best suited for the Rainbow Warriors' renovated offense, which will call for quarterback rollouts and wider formations.
When Chow was hired two years ago, he implemented a pro-set offense that utilized a tight end, fullback and imposing blockers.
"I'm not sure we made the right decision," Chow said, "but I thought, at the time, we could get those linemen, and we'd line up, and beat the heck out of (defensive fronts). Well, it didn't happen that way. We're changing. ... We're going to move it around like everybody else."
Chow said Woolsey provides a dual threat as a passer and runner.
"The days of the starting quarterback sitting back in the pocket are gone," Chow said. "Ikaika is not that guy who sits in the pocket. He's 6-2. He's 215. He can run. He lifts with the linemen. He's very athletic. If he wins it, he gives us that option (of passing or running)."

Chow's pro set has failed the way many of the RNS/spread advocates have been predicting and Chow is finally admitting it. Now we're going back to concepts very similar to the ones he purged from the offense.

Has he recruited the talent to do so?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Going Back to the Spread ...

Post by SundayJam »

Unbelievable...we're going back to that crappy offense we fired the last coach over? I'm pretty sure Woolsey is also one of Mack's recruits.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i liked what i saw in the offense during the spring practices and game. hawaii's version of the spread and a no-huddle will open up the offense this year.

if the no-huddle can get the play snapped in 15 seconds, the offense has a chance. if they can get the plays snapped in less than 13 seconds i expect to see more first downs and maybe a big play or two each quarter. having a mobile qb with designed rollouts should help the o-line maintain qb protection and put some distance between the blind side pursuit.

sefa and laka should be pounding poi this year. sefa and elisara will senior up and guide the running backs. with a healthy running back rotation, defenses will have to respect the run and play action should open up the receiver corps who are much improved in route running, getting separation, and ball handling. tight ends are big, fast. harding is even harder.

i see the warrior offense as ready to play all quarters, scoring more in the first and third quarters, and winning the end game this season.

QbreakN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by QbreakN »

I think he's just saying that if the QB is mobile he's gonna design plays that take advantage of it.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

st808 wrote:i liked what i saw in the offense during the spring practices and game. hawaii's version of the spread and a no-huddle will open up the offense this year.

if the no-huddle can get the play snapped in 15 seconds, the offense has a chance. if they can get the plays snapped in less than 13 seconds i expect to see more first downs and maybe a big play or two each quarter. having a mobile qb with designed rollouts should help the o-line maintain qb protection and put some distance between the blind side pursuit.

sefa and laka should be pounding poi this year. sefa and elisara will senior up and guide the running backs. with a healthy running back rotation, defenses will have to respect the run and play action should open up the receiver corps who are much improved in route running, getting separation, and ball handling. tight ends are big, fast. harding is even harder.

i see the warrior offense as ready to play all quarters, scoring more in the first and third quarters, and winning the end game this season.
Didn't Dustin Elisara medically retire? I like your optimism.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

Duster wrote:
st808 wrote:i liked what i saw in the offense during the spring practices and game. hawaii's version of the spread and a no-huddle will open up the offense this year.

Didn't Dustin Elisara medically retire? I like your optimism.
yeah, he and wily. i'm hoping that they would let elisara, as a senior, inspire and motivate the backs, along with sefa.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

QbreakN wrote:I think he's just saying that if the QB is mobile he's gonna design plays that take advantage of it.
Exactly. There is more to Chow's offense than we have seen so far. Having roll outs have been always been a part of it. He has more in his play book. He just has not been able to develop the kind of online he had wanted since he has been here so he is adjusting. This I think is a positive. His spread will not be the R&S we have seen in the past.

The only problem I see is that we will need more than one quarterback to run our offense. Especially if we expect him to run the ball.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

well, you gotta hand it to Chow for being pretty candid about things.

QbreakN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by QbreakN »

RedZone wrote:The only problem I see is that we will need more than one quarterback to run our offense. Especially if we expect him to run the ball.
Well Joey is 1 for 1 and 1 TD. Haha

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

QbreakN wrote:
RedZone wrote:The only problem I see is that we will need more than one quarterback to run our offense. Especially if we expect him to run the ball.
Well Joey is 1 for 1 and 1 TD. Haha
they should start grooming Harding to play QB too...

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

QbreakN wrote:I think he's just saying that if the QB is mobile he's gonna design plays that take advantage of it.
No, he alluded that he doesn't have the kind of linemen on Offense that he needs to run the pro set so he's going to move things around ... spread it out... heave ho, time!

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Sounds like Chow is jumping ship and bailing on his vision as a head coach. I've been backing this guy since day one, but now (well actually since last year) I'm losing faith in him as a head coach. i just don't buy that crap about not finding the right O-lineman for the job, coach dammit.....do your job!! Did he get together with Chris Naole and said "damn these O-lineman are crap", the same O-lineman YOU recruited!!! Seriously, I've never heard a coach say something like that before, especially coming from a college HC. The days of a pocket QB are over, holy smokes he just lost a ton of recruits. Step one, get your players to buy into your system, I can tell you from talking with ex-players that he hasn't done it yet. And how is he gonna do that if Chow keeps changing up the offense and now saying the days of pocket QB's are over, should we tell Beau Reilly and Aaron Zwahlen to just pack up and leave or transfer while we're at it??

Well I guess most of you are right, this may be Chow's last year here.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Makana wrote:Sounds like Chow is jumping ship and bailing on his vision as a head coach. I've been backing this guy since day one, but now (well actually since last year) I'm losing faith in him as a head coach. i just don't buy that crap about not finding the right O-lineman for the job, coach dammit.....do your job!! Did he get together with Chris Naole and said "damn these O-lineman are crap", the same O-lineman YOU recruited!!! Seriously, I've never heard a coach say something like that before, especially coming from a college HC. The days of a pocket QB are over, holy smokes he just lost a ton of recruits. Step one, get your players to buy into your system, I can tell you from talking with ex-players that he hasn't done it yet. And how is he gonna do that if Chow keeps changing up the offense and now saying the days of pocket QB's are over, should we tell Beau Reilly and Aaron Zwahlen to just pack up and leave or transfer while we're at it??

Well I guess most of you are right, this may be Chow's last year here.
what's funny is that some of us who became disenchanted with Chow early in his first season are feeling good that the old bird seems open to change. I think there are a lot of things he thought the job was gonna be before he got here and then he had to learn the hard way that his instincts were either wrong, outdated, or needed to be adjusted in his change from being a coordinator to a head coach. My stance has always been that they did not have to try to do a total rebuild from the ground up in his first season and that going 4-20 in seasons 1 and 2 was not necessary, and I was not interested in giving him a "free pass" in the name of "rebuilding". We could have competed in season 1 if he were willing to mold his philosophy to work with what he inherited from the previous staff (which was a .500 team one year removed from 10 wins).

Things I that make me optimistic for this season:
-New DC
-Wynn getting more of an opportunity as OC
-Low expectations
-Chow showing a willingness to adapt

We'll see how it all plays out, but I think these changes will make for a better football team. But if not, then Chow will probably be gone soon enough and that's ok with me as well. I'd rather have them start winning now, though.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

poidog wrote:
what's funny is that some of us who became disenchanted with Chow early in his first season are feeling good that the old bird seems open to change. I think there are a lot of things he thought the job was gonna be before he got here and then he had to learn the hard way that his instincts were either wrong, outdated, or needed to be adjusted in his change from being a coordinator to a head coach. My stance has always been that they did not have to try to do a total rebuild from the ground up in his first season and that going 4-20 in seasons 1 and 2 was not necessary, and I was not interested in giving him a "free pass" in the name of "rebuilding". We could have competed in season 1 if he were willing to mold his philosophy to work with what he inherited from the previous staff (which was a .500 team one year removed from 10 wins).

Things I that make me optimistic for this season:
-New DC
-Wynn getting more of an opportunity as OC
-Low expectations
-Chow showing a willingness to adapt

We'll see how it all plays out, but I think these changes will make for a better football team. But if not, then Chow will probably be gone soon enough and that's ok with me as well. I'd rather have them start winning now, though.
Spot on, poidog.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Wow, imagine that, change! While we're at it! Go back to Warriors and drop the Rainbow.

The sounds of change for Chow really looks like he's trying to hide his desperation. Desperation to win and desperation to salvage his ego. Either way, as long as Chow-ball can get more wins, I don't care what he runs, just be consistent at it and WIN dammit.

This Von Appen wannabe years is demoralizing.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!