unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
unpaid wrote:Week Three,

1.Lahainaluna 2-0
2.Iolani 1-0 DNP No.9 Damien next.
3.Konawaena 1-0 DNP No.5 Kamehameha-Hawaii next.
4.Pearl City 2-0 No.8 Kaimuki next.
5.Kamehameha-Hawaii 0-0 DNP No3 Konawaena next.
6.Hawaii Prep 1-1 D-I No.10 Hilo next.
7.Kapaa 0-1 DNP
8.Kaimuki 1-0 No.4 Pearl City next
9.Damien 1-0 No.2 Iolani next
10.Kauai 0-2

There will be some movement next weekend with so many of the squads inside the top ten facing off. Kapaa will face a 1-0 Waimea team in KIF play.Nanakuli,Pac-5,and St.Francis,who is now 2-0 by the way,are looking to move up with some spots that might be available after next weekend.
I hope these games involving D2 ILH teams are an indication that they've improved and are no longer a pushover for even Iolani. That way, next year's ILH D2 representative can be strong while Iolani tries its luck with D1 teams.
Now that Iolani has a big O-line, do they have an excuse for not being in D1?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naue wrote:Keep an eye on that team from Nanakuli...those boys from the west side are ballin...
Had a chance to see their scrimmage against Waianae and I was impressed.
Was pretty much even except Nanakuli forced more turnovers and their running game gave Waianae fits
You mean Waianae couldn't handle Nanakuli's running game? And now, Waianae smashed Kaiser this weekend? WHAT was the score of the scrimmage?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Getreal$,

Of course,Typhoon Iselle has been responsible for a lot of teams not having a game yet..so nature has thrown a wild card into my rankings.Punahou also has not played a game yet because of the storms.I can only say that my preseason post on rankings.like every one else's is subjective. Once the season begins,in my system,it's win s and and losses.
So,if I have the Warriors at No.5 then that means I have not tried to mess with my preseason evaluation too much.
That said,every school is in play this week,and once the season begins for everyone, it's wins and losses for me to decide who goes up and down.

FatherofCody&Casey,
Last year,Kauai stopped the D-II Iolani streak. That said,you know the Iolani squad is upset because of it. What makes this year intriguing is that Iolani is not in the conversation as a lock this year for the D-II championship.. It's not just my way humble unofficial rankings,the Star Advertiser doesn't have them in the top ten for the entire state,and Scoringlive doesn,t have them NoI in D-II ,neither do I. From my point of view,2014 is probably the first real competitive year of D-II in the ILH.Damien has some size,Pac-5 'S QB just set a state standard for passing yards in a single game,and St.Francis,after saying they were going to kill varsity,somehow over the summer decided to field a varsity team anyway,and be 2-0..Yeah,I think ILH D-II could actually be interesting this year. Of course ,I understand that the usual ILH arguement will follow,what if ILH D-II had more than one team at states......OK,bring it on!
I think the biggest threat to Iolani in ILH D2 is Pac-Five. I'm surprised Pac-Five beat Kealakehe; doesn't Kealakehe have pretty good size on the O-line? I would think that if Pac-Five could beat Kealakehe's O-line, they can beat Iolani's O-line. Yes, I know Iolani's O-line is big this year. Whose O-line is bigger: Kealakehe's or Iolani's? Anyone know?

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
I think the biggest threat to Iolani in ILH D2 is Pac-Five. I'm surprised Pac-Five beat Kealakehe; doesn't Kealakehe have pretty good size on the O-line? I would think that if Pac-Five could beat Kealakehe's O-line, they can beat Iolani's O-line. Yes, I know Iolani's O-line is big this year. Whose O-line is bigger: Kealakehe's or Iolani's? Anyone know?
Pac-Five beat Kealakehe? when? I know they beat King K 54-37 http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ng-record/

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

SRJC wrote:
Pac-Five beat Kealakehe? when? I know they beat King K 54-37 http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ng-record/
Sorry; my bad. I had confused Kealakehe with King Kekaulike.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

Naue wrote:Keep an eye on that team from Nanakuli...those boys from the west side are ballin...
Was pretty much even except Nanakuli forced more turnovers and their running game gave Waianae fits
You mean Waianae couldn't handle Nanakuli's running game? And now, Waianae smashed Kaiser this weekend? WHAT was the score of the scrimmage?
If memory serves me right..it was either a tie or nanakuli pulled that one out by one score...
But yes, very impressed with that running back from nanakuli....small but powerful runner who refused to go down...I enjoyed watching that kid....dont know his name either because it was just a scrimmage and there was no announcers
Also the Nanakuli defense forced 5 turnovers...3 interceptions and 2 fumbles
"when they show you their true colors, believe them"

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naue wrote:
If memory serves me right..it was either a tie or nanakuli pulled that one out by one score...
But yes, very impressed with that running back from nanakuli....small but powerful runner who refused to go down...I enjoyed watching that kid....dont know his name either because it was just a scrimmage and there was no announcers
Also the Nanakuli defense forced 5 turnovers...3 interceptions and 2 fumbles
Waianae is ranked. If Nanakuli gave them that good a rub, perhaps Nanakuli should be thinking about going D1 next year. Is it possible that Nanakuli wins the OIA D2 title this year?

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Isn't Nanakuli a relatively small school? Unless they can give assurances that they won't be jumping back-and-forth every three or whatever years between D1 and D2 based on talent and recent success, I'd say they're better off just staying in D2.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote:Isn't Nanakuli a relatively small school? Unless they can give assurances that they won't be jumping back-and-forth every three or whatever years between D1 and D2 based on talent and recent success, I'd say they're better off just staying in D2.
I read on one of these threads that Nanakuli's HIGH-SCHOOL enrollment--(they have intermediate students, too)--was somewhat large for a D2 school. Also, if Nanakuli can keep good players coming, their student-body enrollment might not necessarily matter; Kahuku is a good example. Like Nanakuli, Kahuku has intermediate students. However, their high-school enrollment isn't as large as we might think. It's amazing that Kahuku can keep producing good football teams that are on a par with schools having larger student-body enrollment: Schools like Farrington and Campbell, for example. I think Kahuku is proof that it's not QUANTITY that counts, but QUALITY. For some reason, Kahuku keeps producing good players just about every year, regardless of the school's enrollment. Having said all that, what's WAIPAHU'S excuse? Waipahu has one of the largest student-body enrollments, about equal to Farrington's and Campbell's. So WHY is THEIR team so weak?

Localfan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Localfan808 »

Its nuts that a school with Campbellʻs enrollment, near 700-900 students per graduating class, was ever part of division 2! Compare that with Nanakuli and Waialua where they graduate classes between 100-130 students. The real enrollment numbers should be taken from graduating classes as the state lists have some schools include intermediate numbers. The ILH shows a big difference too. Compare Iolaniʻs and Damienʻs 150-220 students per grad class to Kamehameha and Punahouʻs 400-500. Classification based on enrollment needs to continue to be discussed. Excelling low enrollment schools like Kahuku or Kaiser should certainly have the opportunity to move up by, but schools moving down or staying in Division 2? Crazy!

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

Localfan808 wrote:Its nuts that a school with Campbellʻs enrollment, near 700-900 students per graduating class, was ever part of division 2! Compare that with Nanakuli and Waialua where they graduate classes between 100-130 students. The real enrollment numbers should be taken from graduating classes as the state lists have some schools include intermediate numbers. The ILH shows a big difference too. Compare Iolaniʻs and Damienʻs 150-220 students per grad class to Kamehameha and Punahouʻs 400-500. Classification based on enrollment needs to continue to be discussed. Excelling low enrollment schools like Kahuku or Kaiser should certainly have the opportunity to move up by, but schools moving down or staying in Division 2? Crazy!
St. Louis 2014 gradating class was less than 100 students. :D

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote:
Localfan808 wrote:Its nuts that a school with Campbellʻs enrollment, near 700-900 students per graduating class, was ever part of division 2! Compare that with Nanakuli and Waialua where they graduate classes between 100-130 students. The real enrollment numbers should be taken from graduating classes as the state lists have some schools include intermediate numbers. The ILH shows a big difference too. Compare Iolaniʻs and Damienʻs 150-220 students per grad class to Kamehameha and Punahouʻs 400-500. Classification based on enrollment needs to continue to be discussed. Excelling low enrollment schools like Kahuku or Kaiser should certainly have the opportunity to move up by, but schools moving down or staying in Division 2? Crazy!
But remember, St Louis is an all-boys school, so that figure can be misleading. Even so: Imagine St Louis were a coed school, and had roughly an equal number of girls. That would give them a graduating class of less than 200. Even THAT is low. Yet, look how good St Louis is in football almost every year; they're ranked almost every year. That's why enrollment isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of whether a school should be D1 or D2. That's why exceptions HAVE to be made. For example: St Louis and Kahuku should ALWAYS be D1 in football, REGARDLESS of their enrollment. When it comes to classification, we can't go blindly by enrollment alone.

Localfan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Localfan808 »

BowTow wrote:
But remember, St Louis is an all-boys school, so that figure can be misleading. Even so: Imagine St Louis were a coed school, and had roughly an equal number of girls. That would give them a graduating class of less than 200. Even THAT is low. Yet, look how good St Louis is in football almost every year; they're ranked almost every year. That's why enrollment isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of whether a school should be D1 or D2. That's why exceptions HAVE to be made. For example: St Louis and Kahuku should ALWAYS be D1 in football, REGARDLESS of their enrollment. When it comes to classification, we can't go blindly by enrollment alone.

True, maybe a 3 division system? Bottom division for small schools, middle division for big schools, and a top "open" division for top teams who choose to play in that division. Any team can opt to move up, but strict restrictions to move down?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.2 Iolani and No.9 Damien. I have said that ILH D-II is actually interesting this year,because I don't think Iolani is a lock like they have been recently.Both teams are bigger physically in some ways than they have been in past years .

I no longer expect Iolani blowouts,but I still think Iolani has enough to win the close ones.Iolani wins this one in a close shave against the Monarchs.

No.3 Konawaena and No.5 Kamehameha-Hawaii. The Wildcats seem rejuvenated from last years disappointment at states while Kamehameha-Hawaii is still trying to get to states.Going with Konawaena.

No.4 Pearl City and No.8 Kaimuki. I like the Chargers to win this one.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

unpaid wrote:Headliners this week,

No.4 Pearl City and No.8 Kaimuki. I like the Chargers to win this one.
Looking forward to this one. The two teams were really starting to go at it before the Bulldogs moved up to Red. Go Chargers.