unpaid D-1 football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HumbleFan1
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: unpaid D-1 football

Post by HumbleFan1 »

If Iolani keeps it close vs St. Louis or even beats them, will that finally convince everyone that Iolani belongs in D1? The only team that's likely to beat them by more than 30 pts is Punahou.

BTW, you can't prevent blowouts even if you pit similarly sized teams together, so why stop ILH D2 teams from playing D1 teams? Damien played Kamehameha closer than ILH officials thought they would. Should Kamehameha stop playing Damien? St. Francis LEAD at halftime against the Warriors; should they stop playing Kamehameha? And this is my favorite--Punahou lead 41-0 at halftime against St. Louis and clobbered them, 55-7. Should they stop playing because of that lopsided score? Blowouts will always happen and even to the best of them like Punahou (remember that 42-7 game Mariota and co gave them?), Kamehameha (24-0 and 38-12 ring any bells?), and St. Louis (need I say more?). And if the league thinks Iolani should remain a D2 team--after promising us that this would be their last year--get back to me once they beat overmatched and smaller ILH D2 teams 42-0 every week.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Wasn't one of the concerns about D1 vs D2 match ups also about safety? Something about the disparity of both the average size of the individual players and the size of the total roster?

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to stop D1 vs D2 games during the regular season because it's a lose-lose situation for the D1 teams. If they win, who cares? But if they happen to lose, it'll be a VERY big deal. The fans of the D1 team who got upset will spew excuses like the D2 team they lost to should actually be a D1 team blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is they're not -- they're a D2 team. End of story. If the ILH D1 teams gotta play each other three times during the regular season to make a full season, so be it. I'd think fans of Kam and St Louis would want multiple shots at trying to take down Punahou. At very least, multiple regular season games between the three ILH D1 teams will clearly show how much or little separation there is between Punahou and the other two. No more excuses, guesses and speculation based on just one regular season game.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

bandits1 wrote:Wasn't one of the concerns about D1 vs D2 match ups also about safety? Something about the disparity of both the average size of the individual players and the size of the total roster?

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to stop D1 vs D2 games during the regular season because it's a lose-lose situation for the D1 teams. If they win, who cares? But if they happen to lose, it'll be a VERY big deal. The fans of the D1 team who got upset will spew excuses like the D2 team they lost to should actually be a D1 team blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is they're not -- they're a D2 team. End of story. If the ILH D1 teams gotta play each other three times during the regular season to make a full season, so be it. I'd think fans of Kam and St Louis would want multiple shots at trying to take down Punahou. At very least, multiple regular season games between the three ILH D1 teams will clearly show how much or little separation there is between Punahou and the other two. No more excuses, guesses and speculation based on just one regular season game.
I don't think anyone would claim Pac-Five should be D2 or Damien should be D2 if they beat a D1 team. It almost happened four years ago when Kamehameha needed a late touchdown to beat P5. If P5 had won, would anyone've clamored for them to move up?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Saturday thoughts,

Farrington passing for around 270 give or take and only running for 150 give or take a few.... a sign of the apocalypse?
I don't believe we should be worried until Leilehua goes smashmouth...that would have to be the end...heh,heh!

That was an interesting article in the SA. I think if the ILH no longer allows interdivisional games one consequence is going to be a three round-robin format for the three schools that should be D-II in 2015.I am assuming that Iolani will be moved up to D-I next year.Four D-I schools gets interesting.Do the D-I schools play a two round-robin format or three?
Two would mean six games plus an OIA interleague contest and the occasional interstate opponent..but you are talking maybe an eight game season. They could stop at two and then do a two week playoff but that would limit games for the first round losers.Three rounds would make for a nine game season. Some people might think that is more than enough considering that two,maybe three more get tacked onto that for the ILH winner if they get to the D-I finals in the state tourney.Three might also kill interleague with the OIA ,but with the OIA teams playing more games among themselves,it has become harder for ILH teams to schedule public school opponents anyway. Still,I would hate to see interleague vanish...maybe it will only fade a little instead of completely disappearing.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Six,

1.Punahou 3-0
2.Mililani 5-0 No.5 Campbell next.
3.Kamehameha 3-0 Unranked St.Louis next.
4.Kahuku 4-0 No.10 Kaiser next.
5.Campbell 4-0 No.2 Mililani next.
6.Farrington 5-0
7.Leilehua 4-0
8.Hilo 4-0
9.Waianae 2-2 DNP
10.Kaiser 2-2 New to the top ten. No.4 Kahuku next.

Things start heating up next weekend with Kaiser-Kahuku,Mililani-Campbell, and Kamehameha-St.Louis all having seeding implications for league playoffs.

Media and boards like this one are talking more and more about reclassification to give schools the chance to play other schools in a fair fight. No more Punahou-St.Francis ,just to use an example.not picking on anyone here.Change seems to be slow in the islands...but ,the more this is brought up,especially in mainstream media, the discussion gets so loud that sports administrators will have to at least start thinking about reclassification.Doing something about it....well,that's another matter.Let's see what happens.

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

[quote="unpaid"]Week Six,

1.Punahou 3-0
2.Mililani 5-0 No.5 Campbell next.
3.Kamehameha 3-0 Unranked St.Louis next.
4.Kahuku 4-0 No.10 Kaiser next.
5.Campbell 4-0 No.2 Mililani next.
6.Farrington 5-0
7.Leilehua 4-0
8.Hilo 4-0
9.Waianae 2-2 DNP
10.Kaiser 2-2 New to the top ten. No.4 Kahuku next.

unpaid, I would rank Kahuku at #3 ahead of Kamehameha because of the injuries to RB Apelu. Also, Campbell and Farrington are ranked too high. They both had an easy schedule so far, and both were outplayed and had to come from behind to beat a very ordinary Kapolei team. I think Leilehua should be higher than either of them unless either team can give Mililani a tough game. .

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

kanakattack,

I see your point about Kamehameha.Apelu was a big part of what they do on offense.Still,they are a top five team and they have more pieces than most teams..so losing one doesn'T hurt them as bad as ,say Moanalua would be hurt if one of their receivers got knocked out for the year.You can definitely make an argument that Kahuku is better than Kamehameha...but ,for me ,it comes down to this.I have Kamehameha at 3 and Kahuku at 4 and they haven't lost yet.I don't believe the Warriors will lose to St.Louis and I don't think Kahuku will lose to Kaiser.....so,I have to stay true to my system and keep Kamehameha and Kahuku where they are for right now.

You might just be right about Leilehua being better than Campbell or Farrington.I am just not sure how much weight should be given to the Govs and Sabers struggle against Kapolei.My gut feeling is that Leilehua would also struggle but win against Kapolei.So,again,since I have those three teams where they are,I don't see a change until they start losing.

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

"I am assuming that Iolani will be moved up to D-I next year.Four D-I schools gets interesting.Do the D-I schools play a two round-robin format or three?" from unpaid.

Don't hold your breath about Iolani moving up to D1. If there's no mingling between OIA/ILH, don't be surprised if ILH D-1 teams have a four game season: Each "strong" school playing each other twice. Even if ILH D1 schools try to add "outside" opponents, the most games they're likely to get locally is six. Ridiculous right?

Squid Diver
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Squid Diver »

whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:"I am assuming that Iolani will be moved up to D-I next year.Four D-I schools gets interesting.Do the D-I schools play a two round-robin format or three?" from unpaid.

Don't hold your breath about Iolani moving up to D1. If there's no mingling between OIA/ILH, don't be surprised if ILH D-1 teams have a four game season: Each "strong" school playing each other twice. Even if ILH D1 schools try to add "outside" opponents, the most games they're likely to get locally is six. Ridiculous right?
Totally ridiculous.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

unpaid wrote:
Farrington passing for around 270 give or take and only running for 150 give or take a few.... a sign of the apocalypse?
Why Farrington did not work on their passing 10 years ago just baffles me and is a sign that a head coach change is long over due, even now that they want to pass they are doing it wrong and will never get over the hump of winning an OIA title.

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Squid Diver wrote:
whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:"I am assuming that Iolani will be moved up to D-I next year.Four D-I schools gets interesting.Do the D-I schools play a two round-robin format or three?" from unpaid.

Totally ridiculous.
Ridiculous, but entirely possible, and maybe even likely, right?

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:Don't hold your breath about Iolani moving up to D1. If there's no mingling between OIA/ILH, don't be surprised if ILH D-1 teams have a four game season: Each "strong" school playing each other twice. Even if ILH D1 schools try to add "outside" opponents, the most games they're likely to get locally is six. Ridiculous right?

That's the ridiculous part, it's going to happen. This needs to change. ILH and OIA need to merge already.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I am not saying that island prep teams need to play 15 football games a year like some states teams do on the mainlaind,but If Punahou could possibly go 9-0 and be the Hawaii state champion...then there is something wrong.

When I was at Radford ,the Rural OIA as it was known then had ten teams. We had a nine-game regular season and a tenth game in the Turkey Bowl if your school finished in the top4....yeah I predate the Prep Bowl ...sue me! ...heh!..heh!

Point is....In my life ,,there is something about 9-10 games to qualify for a state playoff to be right...then 11,12,13,games to decide a state champion.

Beyond that,what about finances for the individual schools? Equipment,facilities maintenance,uniform repairs,etc...I don't understand how many Hawaii schools break even in football for crying out loud when they only have 8 or less times to make some money.

If there could be a way to reclassify Hawaii prep teams and make leagues a minimum of 8 teams ,that would improve things tremendously in my mind.

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Squid Diver wrote:
whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:Don't hold your breath about Iolani moving up to D1. If there's no mingling between OIA/ILH, don't be surprised if ILH D-1 teams have a four game season: Each "strong" school playing each other twice. Even if ILH D1 schools try to add "outside" opponents, the most games they're likely to get locally is six. Ridiculous right?

That's the ridiculous part, it's going to happen. This needs to change. ILH and OIA need to merge already.
completely agree with you, but my understanding is that OIA doesn't need/want to. Maybe OIA thinks ILH is getting what it deserves for all the cherry picking of top athletes going on? I don't want to get into that argument because it's just too complicated.

Undftd

Post by Undftd »

whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:
Squid Diver wrote:

completely agree with you, but my understanding is that OIA doesn't need/want to. Maybe OIA thinks ILH is getting what it deserves for all the cherry picking of top athletes going on? I don't want to get into that argument because it's just too complicated.
This is also what i found, contrary to false belief its the OIA not the ILH that is antimerger.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions