unpaid D-1 football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
footballfreak
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: unpaid D-1 football

Post by footballfreak »

Why is St. Louis so low on the rankings, granted they are 0-2 but that two teams they played is Mililani #2 in the state and St. Johns Bosco #2 in the nation. I believe they should be ranked higher than #9. Also they should put Tua as the QB, he has proven hinself in 2 games, hats off to Kuhns, but Tangovailoa is their man now and for the future.

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

I bet Tua gets the starting job, unlike previous coaches at St. Louis that make you follow the seniority ladder I think Cal plays whoever is better.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

footballfreak,

Thanks for the interest. I will admit that St.Louis might be low at 9,but I do not believe they are a top four team anymore.
In their two losses,defense has been the problem.They can't defend well enough against teams who can both run and pass like Mililani and St.John Bosco.There is no way a team does not go down in my system when they lose so I had them at 4 in preaseason and the Crusaders have lost two games to top-flight opponents,so why did I not just drop them 1 spot each of the past two weeks and have them at six.

To me,the St.Louis defense is a major problem to the extent that,if they face teams who can only run well,or only pass well,then I don't think the Crusaders can be favored in those contests either.

So.let's look at who I have ahead of St.Louis, Kamehameha,I admit is a wild card because they have not played a game yet due to Iselle.

The next two teams in my rank,Kahuku and Campbell,have demonstrated the abiliity to rush for 200-300 yards a game and they have defenses which I believe can limit the Crusaders enough offensively because St.Louis is one-dimensional right now,they don't run well at all.

Now,we get down to Farrington at six,The Govs put up monster rushing numbers,and their defense could still hamper the St.Louis passing game enough to win.The wild card with the Govs is that they still rack up too many penalties.Enough wishy-washy comment...still think the Govs can beat St.Louis.

I think my first six teams all have a defense that can limit St.Louis ' one dimensional attack enough that they can score enough points to win .It doesn't matter as long as the defense is there,because St.Louis can't stop elite balanced offenses like Mililani and St.John Bosco or Campbell...and I don'T believe with the defenses that Kahuku and Farrington have that St.Louis could score enough points to outweigh the superior rushing,clock-consuming drives that the Crusaders haven't been able to stop either.

Like i said earlier in the thread,I would have to go down to 7 where Leilehua is before I would have to truly say that St.Louis might have a chance to win.

So,would 7 have been too low for you if I had them at seven?That is the best I really could have given them looking back on the game results and my evaluation

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:footballfreak,

Thanks for the interest. I will admit that St.Louis might be low at 9,but I do not believe they are a top four team anymore.
In their two losses,defense has been the problem.They can't defend well enough against teams who can both run and pass like Mililani and St.John Bosco.There is no way a team does not go down in my system when they lose so I had them at 4 in preaseason and the Crusaders have lost two games to top-flight opponents,so why did I not just drop them 1 spot each of the past two weeks and have them at six.

To me,the St.Louis defense is a major problem to the extent that,if they face teams who can only run well,or only pass well,then I don't think the Crusaders can be favored in those contests either.

So.let's look at who I have ahead of St.Louis, Kamehameha,I admit is a wild card because they have not played a game yet due to Iselle.

The next two teams in my rank,Kahuku and Campbell,have demonstrated the abiliity to rush for 200-300 yards a game and they have defenses which I believe can limit the Crusaders enough offensively because St.Louis is one-dimensional right now,they don't run well at all.

Now,we get down to Farrington at six,The Govs put up monster rushing numbers,and their defense could still hamper the St.Louis passing game enough to win.The wild card with the Govs is that they still rack up too many penalties.Enough wishy-washy comment...still think the Govs can beat St.Louis.

I think my first six teams all have a defense that can limit St.Louis ' one dimensional attack enough that they can score enough points to win .It doesn't matter as long as the defense is there,because St.Louis can't stop elite balanced offenses like Mililani and St.John Bosco or Campbell...and I don'T believe with the defenses that Kahuku and Farrington have that St.Louis could score enough points to outweigh the superior rushing,clock-consuming drives that the Crusaders haven't been able to stop either.

Like i said earlier in the thread,I would have to go down to 7 where Leilehua is before I would have to truly say that St.Louis might have a chance to win.

So,would 7 have been too low for you if I had them at seven?That is the best I really could have given them looking back on the game results and my evaluation
I suspect that St Louis can beat Campbell and Farrington. Remember, St Louis put-up over 40 points on Mililani, and I think Mililani has a better D than Campbell and Farrington. Despite not having much of a running game, I think St Louis' high-octane passing game would be (just) enough to beat Campbell and Farrington. As for Leilehua, I think they have a better running game than Campbell, and Leilehua CAN strike deep through the air. Leilehua vs St Louis would be a good game.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

scoringlive ranking came out today for week 3 and looks prety legit
1. Punahou
2. Mililani
3. Kahuku
4. Kamehameha
5. st. Louis
6. Farrington
7. Campbell
8. Leilehua
9. Kapolei
10. Waianae

although I am kahuku fan I dont think they deserve to have jumpted up two spots to #3 yet. I think kahuku will be there in the OIA title game and possibly the state finals game they look that good. but this early in the season they didnt really have an opponent to prove themselves worthy of a 3 ranking yet looks like scoringlive is using teh eye test and kahuku for sure passes the eye test this year.
-------------------

DA SCOUT

Post by DA SCOUT »

first of all Campbell does not have a elite balanced offense ,farrington does not have the type of offense to get in a shoot out with STL and the govs defense is overrated look at the kapolei game and STL is not one sided they have tua that can run and throw pick your poison so i say no higher than 5 all stl has to do is figure how to make any team punt a couple of times and they will win

footballfreak
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by footballfreak »

DA SCOUT wrote:first of all Campbell does not have a elite balanced offense ,farrington does not have the type of offense to get in a shoot out with STL and the govs defense is overrated look at the kapolei game and STL is not one sided they have tua that can run and throw pick your poison so i say no higher than 5 all stl has to do is figure how to make any team punt a couple of times and they will win
I agree that St. Louis should be a 5 until they can beat some other high caliber team in the top 10 team, and do it convincingly.

Swag43
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Swag43 »

Gotta give Cal some time to rebuild...this year is certainly ain't their year...can't wait for this weekends game...wish Tagovailoa came to the Buff which would've been a perfect transition with Tui leaving and Tua taking the helm...the Buffs D who returns 9 starters will pin their ears back and pressure...get ready for the Lakalaka dance lol...Moeai will be on another level....Finally some DEFENCE....:)

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I don't think any team in the state would've beat Mililani and St. John Boscoe back to back. Yes that's including Punahou.

I don't believe we've seen what St. Louis can do yet since they've only now got some guys on defense back from AP. And it seems the QB battle has been settled. Tough break for Ryder Kuhns though. Keep ya head up bro. The team will need you sometime this season. Point being is that St. Louis is far from giving up this season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

DA SCOUT wrote:first of all Campbell does not have a elite balanced offense ,farrington does not have the type of offense to get in a shoot out with STL and the govs defense is overrated look at the kapolei game and STL is not one sided they have tua that can run and throw pick your poison so i say no higher than 5 all stl has to do is figure how to make any team punt a couple of times and they will win
Well, remember that Farrington has a huge O-line and two good RBs (especially, Mamiya). With St Louis' D-line being somewhat weak against the run, Farrington wouldn't HAVE to get into a shoot-out with St Louis; they could just keep the ball on the ground and pound the rock. Also, St Louis doesn't really have a running game, in that they don't have a good RB. Also--regarding Farrington's close game with Kapolei--let's not forget that Kapolei has one of the biggest and best O-lines; St Louis had just as much trouble with them in THEIR scrimmage. Kapolei's O-line is just like a college O-line.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

footballfreak wrote:
I agree that St. Louis should be a 5 until they can beat some other high caliber team in the top 10 team, and do it convincingly.
Well, when you talk about the Top Five, that's a pretty elite group. It's not easy to beat a top-five team CONVINCINGLY. Just to beat one at all, is quite an accomplishment.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote:I don't think any team in the state would've beat Mililani and St. John Boscoe back to back. Yes that's including Punahou.

I don't believe we've seen what St. Louis can do yet since they've only now got some guys on defense back from AP. And it seems the QB battle has been settled. Tough break for Ryder Kuhns though. Keep ya head up bro. The team will need you sometime this season. Point being is that St. Louis is far from giving up this season.
Do you think Mililani can beat Punahou?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:I don't think any team in the state would've beat Mililani and St. John Boscoe back to back. Yes that's including Punahou.

Can't say with any certainty considering we have not seen Punahou play and we've haven't seen their new QB yet. We'll know more after this weekend.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:

Can't say with any certainty considering we have not seen Punahou play and we've haven't seen their new QB yet. We'll know more after this weekend.
What surprises me is that some sources are saying that the new Punahou QB is better than Kamehameha's Sua-Godinet, which I thought was somewhat surprising. Sua-Godinet isn't "in the same league"--(pardon the expression)--as Tuileta was, but he DOES have good feet (can run when he has to), has a pretty quick release, and has gained more accuracy and range over the summer. He was Kamehameha's starting QB last year, too. Is Punahou's new QB really better than Sua-Godinet?

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

Ive heard that the qb was actually struggling. He doesnt have the timing down with Noa and company just yet. He has all the tools around him to make the offense go, it will come down to his management of the system. I have also heard the offensive line is struggling with Uluave being injured and 3 new starters. I heard Kaumatule and Saula were even taking snaps on the opposite side of the ball. At the end of the day, I think Punahou will be in the state tournament, but Kahuku looks good, and so does Mililani.