unpaid D-1 football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-1 football

Post by unpaid »

Probably coincidence,but you have noticed that 16 in 16 on scoringlive the first two teams featured,Campbell and Kaiser,both planning to start sophomores at QB. That is rare,even rarer to have a true freshman in hs start at QB although I have seen it done once..but,is there a youth movement going on here...it seems that most coaches will go with an upperclass(JR,SR) athlete at QB to replace a graduated leader,as opposed to going with a sophomore.

Should be interesting this fall to see how it plays out with Campbell and Kaiser...and anyone else who is going to go with a sophomore at QB.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:Probably coincidence,but you have noticed that 16 in 16 on scoringlive the first two teams featured,Campbell and Kaiser,both planning to start sophomores at QB. That is rare,even rarer to have a true freshman in hs start at QB although I have seen it done once..but,is there a youth movement going on here...it seems that most coaches will go with an upperclass(JR,SR) athlete at QB to replace a graduated leader,as opposed to going with a sophomore.

Should be interesting this fall to see how it plays out with Campbell and Kaiser...and anyone else who is going to go with a sophomore at QB.
These kids featured have the physical size to compete at the varsity level. I am, however, somewhat skeptic of kids that transfer from the ILH of their actual grade level or if they should have been a Junior and in some cases a senior. Not saying that is true with these boys but I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. I know for a fact that a certain and current All State wide receiver in the ILH is entering his Junior season but should be a senior at the very least. Whats my point? Maturity and physical development greatly improves after age 18 and those kids that are held back a year or two have a definite advantage over lets say a 17 year old Senior in the public school system.

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

not just in the ILH but many public school parents are holding their kids back too. It just makes sense, why would you not do it? There are so many benefits to being a year older then the kids you are competing against (mentally, physically etc.)

I dont know about those sophomore QBs but I know a handful of other kids in sports like basketball/football and volleyball who are held back, all in public schools and it seems to be the parents that have hopes of athletic scholarships for their kids that are the ones holding them back.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

westside.gee wrote:not just in the ILH but many public school parents are holding their kids back too. It just makes sense, why would you not do it? There are so many benefits to being a year older then the kids you are competing against (mentally, physically etc.)

I dont know about those sophomore QBs but I know a handful of other kids in sports like basketball/football and volleyball who are held back, all in public schools and it seems to be the parents that have hopes of athletic scholarships for their kids that are the ones holding them back.
I didn't say anything was wrong with it but call it what it is. My point is, I hear all the time how this one kid is the real deal or how this sophomore is doing amazing things only to find out he was actually held back a couple of years thats all.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

westside.gee wrote:not just in the ILH but many public school parents are holding their kids back too. It just makes sense, why would you not do it? There are so many benefits to being a year older then the kids you are competing against (mentally, physically etc.)
This stuff has been going on in the mainland for years. 60 Minutes did a feature on this very topic. I think they called it "red shirting at kindergarten". Parents are making their kids repeat kindergarten. It's not necessarily for athletics. Parents want their children to be academically mature. Makes perfect sense to me.

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Lots of other countries have their students start school later than we do in the United States. From a developmental standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. Of course the challenge that many families here have is finding an extra year of child care if their students aren't in school. There are other obstacles as well but hopefully the decision is made in the best interest of the student and others, and not for selfish and egotistical reasons.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I dunno. It seemed to be a trend in college football in recent years and now Hawaii prep football too now, I guess.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

my goodness, read today's paper, Kapolei's Oline is pretty damn big. If they are as athletic and nasty as they are big, with DJ running the O, I expect the 'canes to ram the ball down peoples throats.

As for Kamehameha, with the studs they have returning on D and a full summer to get used to BB's defensive makeup, I expect the Warriors to dominate on D.

As for my beloved Red Raiders, time will tell. I think the D should b just fine...overall, we'll see how Coach Leslie is able to adapt to Hawaii style football(I think if he had come from Utah to Hawaii the transition would be easier, but coming from Idaho.....time will tell).

Good luck boiz!!!

RRFL!!

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

rrforlifebaby wrote:my goodness, read today's paper, Kapolei's Oline is pretty damn big. If they are as athletic and nasty as they are big, with DJ running the O, I expect the 'canes to ram the ball down peoples throats.

As for Kamehameha, with the studs they have returning on D and a full summer to get used to BB's defensive makeup, I expect the Warriors to dominate on D.

As for my beloved Red Raiders, time will tell. I think the D should b just fine...overall, we'll see how Coach Leslie is able to adapt to Hawaii style football(I think if he had come from Utah to Hawaii the transition would be easier, but coming from Idaho.....time will tell).

Good luck boiz!!!

RRFL!!
I don't think Utah's football style would be a better fit in Hawaii than anywhere else. Bingham is a national power, but I don't find Utah football as a whole to be advanced or sophisticated like in Texas. Take Nolan Tokuda to Utah and I think he'd be that state's best coach from day 1.

Are you referring to Lee Leslie's familiarity with Polynesian culture? If that is so, it still isn't a huge concern for me. It has been well-documented that college coaches love Poly players because of their work ethic, toughness and physicality. If he can't coach Kahuku to a #1 or #2 in the OIA 4 out of every 5 seasons, he probably isn't a very good coach no matter what his background is.

footballfreak
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by footballfreak »

rrforlifebaby wrote:my goodness, read today's paper, Kapolei's Oline is pretty damn big. If they are as athletic and nasty as they are big, with DJ running the O, I expect the 'canes to ram the ball down peoples throats.

Good luck boiz!!!

RRFL!!
I saw it on paper and I saw them at practice, they are huge, but . . . tby their lineman to make the bold prediction that they are the best o-line ever assembled at Kapolei is stretching it and putting themselves in the watchful eye of critics. Granted they went against schools, Aiea, Moanalua, Radford, in one on ones, but who are the all-state players, honorable mentions last year? If you are that good, why aren't there any that made the top honors last year. They are putting some unwanted pressure on themselves, because they all started last year and didn't dominate anyone. As for their D-line, you got to be kidding with Myles Uepa as their best lineman at 6'7. I do like their Db's and linebackers, despite their entire LB crew left because of graduation. Mautautia is a beast in the middle and Hughes and Cetenio are soilid in the defensive backfield. They will not get pass Mililani, the Trojans are better than last year with the return of Manu, Agasiva, Meleapiai, and Silva. Campbell also reloaded this year with a new 6'3 sophomre QB, who they say is the younger brother of 6'8 offensive tackle Pesi Savea of Kapolei. Their defense should be solid at both linebackers and d-line. That will be a good match-up against Kapolei.

DA SCOUT

Post by DA SCOUT »

I'd look for the crusaders to out score their opponents although they will have a average defense, they will play with a lot of old school swag and confidence with the return of Lee. The big three on offense Kuhns,kobayahi and maybe the most dangerous offensive player in the State in Alan Cui III, not to mention a solid O line. Kuhns throws dimes kobayashi stretches the field and cui is a mismatch for any defender in the state and their RB is consistent not a home run threat like Noga but will get his touches.

I'd look for the Warriors to rely on their Defense with the return of Tafua and kane to keep them in games. Kane needs to show that he can be a true shut down guy against the best WR's in the ILH he has had to make big strides in the off season. Tafua just needs to build from his great junior year, though loosing the two big DT's will put a little more weight on his shoulders.on offense will be a grinding year for apelu they replace the whole O line except for Jang. but one year of maturity for QB godinet might serve well with some very quick WR's they maybe alright

I'd look for the Buff and blue to reload, defense will also be their strength with Chung and Laka Laka leading the way. offense will be the big ? having the best Wr in the state in Noa but who will throw him the ball ? running the ball with talaupapa can only go so far but this team is very well coached and prepared for games they will figure it out.

STL 1st (not puns or ksk can out score them)
PUN 2nd(solid rush D but secondary is suspect
Ksk 3rd(the loss of riola and chung as the O line coaches will hurt their run game tremendously)

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

saynotomercs wrote:

Good luck boiz!!!

RRFL!!
I don't think Utah's football style would be a better fit in Hawaii than anywhere else. Bingham is a national power, but I don't find Utah football as a whole to be advanced or sophisticated like in Texas. Take Nolan Tokuda to Utah and I think he'd be that state's best coach from day 1.

Are you referring to Lee Leslie's familiarity with Polynesian culture? If that is so, it still isn't a huge concern for me. It has been well-documented that college coaches love Poly players because of their work ethic, toughness and physicality. If he can't coach Kahuku to a #1 or #2 in the OIA 4 out of every 5 seasons, he probably isn't a very good coach no matter what his background is.
Wats up my brutha.
I understand what you're saying about Tokuda and Utah football in general, but I think you have to agree that Utah football is better than Idaho football. Leslie coached in both states, but has spent the last several years in Idaho...therefore, imho, the transition from the level of play in utah to Hawaii vs Idaho to Hawaii would be less severe(for lack of a better word).
As far as adapting to Hawaii style football, I was talking about the sheer physicality that Hawaii boys play at in D1.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It's almost time to get down to it in the regular season.www.hawaiiprepworld.com posted some scrimmages taking place tomorrow,31 Aug. I know scrimmages are deceiving because nobody wants to reveal their whole packages to opponents who will be scouting...but you can get some idea of where the programs are from these contests.

Kapolei at St.Louis.... I guess I am wondering how much of a difference has Coach Cal Lee made in the short time he has been back as HC. Going with St.Louis here.

Mililani at Leilehua...totally agree with the folks at hawaiiprepworld....I am just glad to see the rivalry continue even if it has to be a scrimmage because of OIA reorganization. Going with Mililani in this one.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Is it just me or is the season starting earlier and earlier? Does anyone know why this is happening? If this trend continues we'll be playing games in mid-July pretty soon.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
saynotomercs wrote:

Good luck boiz!!!

RRFL!!

Wats up my brutha.
I understand what you're saying about Tokuda and Utah football in general, but I think you have to agree that Utah football is better than Idaho football. Leslie coached in both states, but has spent the last several years in Idaho...therefore, imho, the transition from the level of play in utah to Hawaii vs Idaho to Hawaii would be less severe(for lack of a better word).
As far as adapting to Hawaii style football, I was talking about the sheer physicality that Hawaii boys play at in D1.
I agree with you here.