Wins enough games to save his job
38%

Total votes: 34

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What happens to Norm Chow in '14?

Post by HawaiianHogster »

He will be here for his 5th season as long as he doesn't lose all the games and the team improves in the win column. Keep all games close. Win one away game and 3 home games should be enough to keep his job. They can not afford to pay two head coaches in the same year.

Jay may keep Norm no matter what. It is his final word. Ask him what his limit is for Norm Chow.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Is there progress? Is the program moving in the right direction? Are they competitive? That's what needs to be the measurement stick for 2014.

Guys, Norm's prime recruits are still sophs and redshirt freshmen.

When you make a complete overhaul of a football program which is what happened it takes a minimum of 4 years to get consistency and results. You might not like it but when we decided to cut the cord with the R&S that was a long term decision.........and in my opinion a bad one.

The team did improve a lot last year. The D let us down. The offense moved the ball. With better D play a 3-4 win season last year was a few bounces away.

The REALITY is we are looking at a 3-5 win season with a very difficult schedule.

2015 is the season to really see what we have going forward.

If we make a coaching change after the 2014 season you are staring at another three years of losing football. That would be a disasterous decicion.
New coaching staff, new offense, new defense, more players leaving the program, a decline in recruiting and a prolonged financial disaster.

If this team shows progress and improvement we need a 2015 with Coach Chow.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

I agree with TheDuke. Things were taken down a path we all didn't agree with. Most of us having followed the team for so long we wondered about the wisdom of going smash mouth on offense. But Chow is not a dummy. He knows all the schemes. We are close to being a .500 team. So I am willing to stick it out without complaining (for now).

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

TheDuke wrote:
If we make a coaching change after the 2014 season you are staring at another three years of losing football. That would be a disasterous decicion.
New coaching staff, new offense, new defense, more players leaving the program, a decline in recruiting and a prolonged financial disaster.

why would a coaching change mean another 3 years of losing football? great coaches do NOT take 3 years to turn a program around. see Art Briles, Dino Babers, Jim McElwain, Tim DeRuyter, Todd Graham, etc.

if Chow can't improve the team plus win 4-5 games this season, his okole definitely needs to be fired.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

letsgobows wrote:
TheDuke wrote:

why would a coaching change mean another 3 years of losing football? great coaches do NOT take 3 years to turn a program around. see Art Briles, Dino Babers, Jim McElwain, Tim DeRuyter, Todd Graham, etc.

if Chow can't improve the team plus win 4-5 games this season, his okole definitely needs to be fired.
Given the level of competition, it would be hard for someone (anyone) to ramp up right away. Even if JJ returned, he would be looking at a conference significantly different than the one he left. And the conference JJ started with was exceptionally weak. And we had a hard time getting road win at that.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

UnBiasFan wrote:
letsgobows wrote:
TheDuke wrote:

Given the level of competition, it would be hard for someone (anyone) to ramp up right away. Even if JJ returned, he would be looking at a conference significantly different than the one he left. And the conference JJ started with was exceptionally weak. And we had a hard time getting road win at that.
You're kidding us, right? We're still playing the same teams.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

4-5 wins. Including the MW shocker of the year: UH beats Utah State at home.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

madeinhawaii wrote: You're kidding us, right? We're still playing the same teams.
actually, no I am not kidding

if we are talking hypos. I am convinced that the 2013 Warrior team would have put up a better performance in the 2008 Sugar Bowl than that JJ (weak schedule) team did.

as far as that schedule --- Utah State was junk back then, NMSU was garbage, and Idaho didn't belong in D1 --- and we barely beat a very mediocre San Jose State team --- that was a pathetic coaching let down and the blame lies with JJ for not pushing the boys to the metal in pre-game prep like Georgia did

I retract my statement on the 1999 schedule --- that was a very special season

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Impo, I think no matter what the outcome turns out to be, Chow will still be the head coach for years to come whether we like it or not and regardless of another losing season or another one after that. The decisions are not up to the fans. With the economy the way it is, don't think there's another coach out there that has the credentials and years of coaching experience than coach Chow who would take what the university has to offer which is cheap.

Currently with the new NCAA ruling with walk on players having the same previllage as scholarship players on the meal plan doesn't help UH's budget. Especially when there already over 2 million in the hole.

If the legislature can find it in there hearts to give at least a certain percentage of the revenue back to the University coming out of the stadium, that may help slow the bleeding from decreased ticket sales. Not to mention the amount that's paid by the university just to play in the stadium.

We also pay a heavy price to be a part of the MWC. Are there any other options out there for the program to save some funds? Sometimes it's not all about the competition. Wins will always sell regardless of who we play. As long as we win so why not start from the basics and work our way back up?

Just my thoughts......

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Post by travo66 »

UnBiasFan wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote: You're kidding us, right? We're still playing the same teams.
actually, no I am not kidding

if we are talking hypos. I am convinced that the 2013 Warrior team would have put up a better performance in the 2008 Sugar Bowl than that JJ (weak schedule) team did.

as far as that schedule --- Utah State was junk back then, NMSU was garbage, and Idaho didn't belong in D1 --- and we barely beat a very mediocre San Jose State team --- that was a pathetic coaching let down and the blame lies with JJ for not pushing the boys to the metal in pre-game prep like Georgia did

I retract my statement on the 1999 schedule --- that was a very special season
Woah...what are you smoking?!? You think the team last year would have done better against Georgia in the 2008 Sugar Bowl? I would bet my house they wouldn't! The team that barely beat a horrid Army team, lost to Wyoming, and had way less talent combined than just Jason Rivers and Devone Bess alone (not to mention Colt, Salas, Mouton, etc.) would have done better???

If I ever drink this much Kool-aid, let me know! I'm known to be the optimist...but damn, you're pro at that!
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Well, at the very least, at 68 he moves up the ladder as one of the oldest active head coaches in division 1... I think he's either 3rd or 4th. Definitely top ten.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

travo66 wrote:
If I ever drink this much Kool-aid, let me know! I'm known to be the optimist...but damn, you're pro at that!
Schroeder or Chang, if available, to start this season? Come on, admit it. :lol:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UnBiasFan wrote:
travo66 wrote:
Schroeder or Chang, if available, to start this season? Come on, admit it. :lol:
Come on, Colt Brennan was qb in the Sugar Bowl.
Schroeder is done, isn't he? And, I'd take Chang or Brennan back any day.

I gotta admit, I'm worried about who will be the next quarterback. Chow's gotten all the weird team rituals and buddy hire/fires out of the way, so I think think his time has come.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

I didn't say Brennan. :lol:

Every game on our schedule can be a win this year. We get two of the three PAC12 teams at home. Nobody else can we say totally outclasses us. Obviously, it will take a very special effort in every game out of Offense, Defense, Special Teams and Coaching. Because each game could also easily be a loss. But there is no reason to sell these guys short at this point. We all going to have that same opening day excitement that comes every year.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Well it is pretty simple. If there is a coaching change you will find out why.

Just in case you don't get it Hawaii has it's challenges. It is easy to rattle off exceptions. The rule of thumb is 2-4 years to turn a program around. I don't make decisions based on exceptions. If you do you will be more then likely disappointed. And you will set this program up for further financial disaster.

And what makes you think we will attract a great coach? We don't have the money for a great coach. We don't have the money for a experienced assistant coaching staff.

What kind of coach do you want? A coach with a run option based offense? Well guess what we don't have a run option QB.........you need two to three, not one, to be effective.

A R&S? Well you don't have any QBs and receivers that know the R&S.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the odds are that it will take time........3-4 years to put together a winning program.