Its official cal Lee is back

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Its official cal Lee is back

Post by saynotomercs »

bow89 wrote:congratulations st louis, you get what you wanted. cal lee is back. you stink worse than ever. your school is still in debt. your academics are still a joke. and your enrollment is still in decline. within in 10 years, with more choices like this one, this school might not even exist (quote)

Unless you actually went to the school recently, you shouldn't say anything about the academics. I would put saynotomercs and his classmates up against anyone from the remaining ILH schools (minus perhaps Iolani and Punahou). Compare Saint Louis' curriculum with the other ILH schools. They have far more AP offerings than any of the non big three schools (Kamehameha included as part of the big three), and their AP pass rate is higher also. Sayno will tell you that his AP classes beat the national average by over thirty percent. Just because you know some knuckleheads that graduated from Saint Louis, doesn't mean that the academics are not sound. It is far superior today than before. That's why there are more academic casualties than previous years.
From what I heard from a 2012 grad who left Iolani in high school and then graduated from Saint Louis, the academics at the school have improved from the early and mid-2000s. I think redandbluearmy is trying to say that hiring Cal Lee is a marketing disaster because it gives the public (especially the sophisticated, well-monied public) the perception that all Saint Louis cares about is football.

And while that may be true, I don't think Saint Louis has any hope of competing in the Iolani-Punahou market anyway. Somehow, redandblue thinks that Saint Louis can carve into that market and create the "Catholic elite" niche that helped feed the school in the 1970s and before. Personally, I think that too many societal changes have taken place to depend on Catholic loyalty before an elite curriculum can produce elite graduates who would market the school themselves.

I justified the Lee hiring because football success would help bolster the biggest niche market among what I referred to as a coalition of small markets that feeds the school in 2014. I still believe that football success is very, very important to the future of the school.

But unfortunately, it really does look like Cal and his brother are past it. They're far too dogmatic in their approach to adjust to their own roster and the strengths of the opposing ones.

It's hard for me to identify a real solution at this point.

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by LocalCheesehead »

saynotomercs wrote:
bow89 wrote:congratulations st louis, you get what you wanted. cal lee is back. you stink worse than ever. your school is still in debt. your academics are still a joke. and your enrollment is still in decline. within in 10 years, with more choices like this one, this school might not even exist (quote)

Unless you actually went to the school recently, you shouldn't say anything about the academics. I would put saynotomercs and his classmates up against anyone from the remaining ILH schools (minus perhaps Iolani and Punahou). Compare Saint Louis' curriculum with the other ILH schools. They have far more AP offerings than any of the non big three schools (Kamehameha included as part of the big three), and their AP pass rate is higher also. Sayno will tell you that his AP classes beat the national average by over thirty percent. Just because you know some knuckleheads that graduated from Saint Louis, doesn't mean that the academics are not sound. It is far superior today than before. That's why there are more academic casualties than previous years.
From what I heard from a 2012 grad who left Iolani in high school and then graduated from Saint Louis, the academics at the school have improved from the early and mid-2000s. I think redandbluearmy is trying to say that hiring Cal Lee is a marketing disaster because it gives the public (especially the sophisticated, well-monied public) the perception that all Saint Louis cares about is football.

And while that may be true, I don't think Saint Louis has any hope of competing in the Iolani-Punahou market anyway. Somehow, redandblue thinks that Saint Louis can carve into that market and create the "Catholic elite" niche that helped feed the school in the 1970s and before. Personally, I think that too many societal changes have taken place to depend on Catholic loyalty before an elite curriculum can produce elite graduates who would market the school themselves.

I justified the Lee hiring because football success would help bolster the biggest niche market among what I referred to as a coalition of small markets that feeds the school in 2014. I still believe that football success is very, very important to the future of the school.

But unfortunately, it really does look like Cal and his brother are past it. They're far too dogmatic in their approach to adjust to their own roster and the strengths of the opposing ones.

They may take there lumps this year, but rest assured they will be back to there winning ways in the next year or two.
Parents and alumni know this.

It really wouldn't matter who's coaching this years team, they still would be 0-3 because of its inexperienced and undersized defense.

chasingchampionships
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by chasingchampionships »

http://www.iolani.org/files/pdfs/2013-1 ... rofile.pdf

find me a st louis class profile that looks like that… do even half their students go to 4 year colleges after graduation? the fact of the matter is st louis does NOT compete with iolani or punahou at an academic level.

you want alumni who have money and who can donate so you can maintain your buildings and keep improving your school? you need numbers that look like this… you need to get the best students from wealthy parents. this is a rich mans game. how do you think iolani and punahou continue to afford to upgrade their campuses? It is NOT their football program… they have excellent academic traditions and a strong affluent alumni network…. that's how.

Link

LET'S GO BOWS!

chasingchampionships
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

saynotomercs wrote:

what will football success bring to this school?

Link

LET'S GO BOWS!

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

find me a st louis class profile that looks like that… do even half their students go to 4 year colleges after graduation? the fact of the matter is st louis does NOT compete with iolani or punahou at an academic level.

you want alumni who have money and who can donate so you can maintain your buildings and keep improving your school? you need numbers that look like this… you need to get the best students from wealthy parents. this is a rich mans game. how do you think iolani and punahou continue to afford to upgrade their campuses? It is NOT their football program… they have excellent academic traditions and a strong affluent alumni network…. that's how. (quote)

Obviously you must have gone to an institution that has even worse academic standards than Saint Louis. Where did I say anything about being on the save level as Iolani or Punahou? In fact I specifically excluded those two schools from the equation. Talk about calling the kettle black.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Rocket95 wrote:
chasingchampionships wrote:so this is a little funny now.... how da bruddha's at st louis liking cal lee now??? if the plan was to attract more kids because cal was gonna bring back the good ole days at st louis, what now?

apparently, without all the future nfl players, cal has a difficult time playing against good ilh teams...

so now you guys have bad academics and an even worse football team... this is just embarassing.....

I don't think the braddahs at St Louis or Coach Lee is worried about attracting talent. I mean you're talking about Hawaii's winningest HS football coach and a storied program. He didn't do that over night. Lets be realistic here. He already has players that can't play this year. Which means he's already building for next year. Who knows by next year he will have more players wanting to play regardless of how they do this year. But I wouldn't write this season off either. ILH has a playoff now. He can lose all his games and still win the playoffs. It's still early to judge the coach and team right now.
No, I don't think St Louis is going anywhere this year. After Friday night, it's obvious that they aren't getting past Punahou. And with their weak D, they might not even get past offensively-challenged Kamehameha.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

chasingchampionships wrote:you guys are crazy… i wonder what would have been said if a matt wright coached st louis team lost 55-7 to punahou?

i mean… i can see losing… fine… but this wasn't even close. this was a beat down of biblical proportions. cal is supposed to be a genius, but he can't even keep this respectable? are this kids really that bad? and if they are, why are you playing single coverage over and over against the states top receiver???

congratulations st louis, you get what you wanted. cal lee is back. you stink worse than ever. your school is still in debt. your academics are still a joke. and your enrollment is still in decline. within in 10 years, with more choices like this one, this school might not even exist.
1. Keep in mind that Punahou is very strong--#1--while St Louis has a weak D.
2. Lee isn't a magician; he's stuck with the players he has. Obviously, the players ARE really that bad, BUT: Who's the DC? He's not making adequate adjustments. Heard he played single coverage against Mililani, too. It's not just how good the RECEIVERS are; it's how good the QB is. Mililani's receivers aren't as good as Noa, but MILTON made them look good.
3. I don't see how you can say St Louis' academics are a "joke." They can be no worse than the best public schools. That's not intended as a knock against the public schools; the public schools are dragged-down by having to accept bad kids, and kids who don't know English.
4, I don't see St Louis closing. Think the alumni will stand for that?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

That's right. There are knuckleheads even at Iolani and Punahou; some "get through" the screening. Some students at Iolani and Punahou are barely getting by. I see nothing alarming about academic standards at St Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

saynotomercs wrote:

I wouldn't give-up on Cal Lee yet; he's the same guy who coached St Louis during its football glory years of 1986-1999. He just DOESN'T have the players this year. However, I think he needs to talk to his DC about pass-coverage schemes.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

chasingchampionships wrote:

you want alumni who have money and who can donate so you can maintain your buildings and keep improving your school? you need numbers that look like this… you need to get the best students from wealthy parents. this is a rich mans game. how do you think iolani and punahou continue to afford to upgrade their campuses? It is NOT their football program… they have excellent academic traditions and a strong affluent alumni network…. that's how.
Doesn't St Louis have a strong, affluent alumni network? I'm sure they do. A lot of MDs, dentists, and lawyers graduated from St Louis. I know several of them personally.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
chasingchampionships wrote:you guys are crazy… i wonder what would have been said if a matt wright coached st louis team lost 55-7 to punahou?

i mean… i can see losing… fine… but this wasn't even close. this was a beat down of biblical proportions. cal is supposed to be a genius, but he can't even keep this respectable? are this kids really that bad? and if they are, why are you playing single coverage over and over against the states top receiver???

congratulations st louis, you get what you wanted. cal lee is back. you stink worse than ever. your school is still in debt. your academics are still a joke. and your enrollment is still in decline. within in 10 years, with more choices like this one, this school might not even exist.
2. Lee isn't a magician; he's stuck with the players he has. Obviously, the players ARE really that bad, BUT: Who's the DC? He's not making adequate adjustments. Heard he played single coverage against Mililani, too. It's not just how good the RECEIVERS are; it's how good the QB is. Mililani's receivers aren't as good as Noa, but MILTON made them look good.
3. I don't see how you can say St Louis' academics are a "joke." They can be no worse than the best public schools. That's not intended as a knock against the public schools; the public schools are dragged-down by having to accept bad kids, and kids who don't know English.
Well how bad are his players? He has a bunch of athletes on offense they are 4-6 deep at the Slot and Wide positions alone why wouldn't he move the kids that wont start to DB or Safety. The Nunuha boys comes to mind so does the Johnson kid. Both come off the bench Johnson has the size to play LB and Nunuma can easily play DB better than Augafa and Timbreza.

As a coach wouldnt you play the best players you have to at the very least have your best 22 football players playing in every game. That is a coaching decision.

Also since Kaumeyer left Cal is calling the Defense. He might not be a magician but his legendary football mojo and football decision making has "disappeared" that's for sure.

70+ year old man plus 16-18 yr old football players equals the worst defense in the state all divisions included. Here are the averages.60 pts per game allowed, 650 yds per game allowed 366 pass 284 run (Scoringlive stats.)

and the whole time staying in man coverage with the "bad' athletes he has that is poor coaching..period..

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

newguy wrote:

Well how bad are his players? He has a bunch of athletes on offense they are 4-6 deep at the Slot and Wide positions alone why wouldn't he move the kids that wont start to DB or Safety. The Nunuha boys comes to mind so does the Johnson kid. Both come off the bench Johnson has the size to play LB and Nunuma can easily play DB better than Augafa and Timbreza.

As a coach wouldnt you play the best players you have to at the very least have your best 22 football players playing in every game. That is a coaching decision.

Also since Kaumeyer left Cal is calling the Defense. He might not be a magician but his legendary football mojo and football decision making has "disappeared" that's for sure.

70+ year old man plus 16-18 yr old football players equals the worst defense in the state all divisions included. Here are the averages.60 pts per game allowed, 650 yds per game allowed 366 pass 284 run (Scoringlive stats.)

and the whole time staying in man coverage with the "bad' athletes he has that is poor coaching..period..
You know, I was WONDERING whether Lee was acting as DC; I know he's a defense guy. I'll tell you what, you've made some very disturbing observations. COULD IT BE that Lee really IS losing it? Now I'm not so sure he isn't. Again, you've made some very good points. If this goes on, Lee might have a very short coaching tenure at St Louis. It's hard to believe that such a legendary coach could have devolved so dramatically.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

congratulations st louis, you get what you wanted. cal lee is back. you stink worse than ever. your school is still in debt. your academics are still a joke. and your enrollment is still in decline. within in 10 years, with more choices like this one, this school might not even exist.[/quote]
4, I don't see St Louis closing. Think the alumni will stand for that?[/quote]

and the whole time staying in man coverage with the "bad' athletes he has that is poor coaching..period..[/quote]
You know, I was WONDERING whether Lee was acting as DC; I know he's a defense guy. I'll tell you what, you've made some very disturbing observations. COULD IT BE that Lee really IS losing it? Now I'm not so sure he isn't. Again, you've made some very good points. If this goes on, Lee might have a very short coaching tenure at St Louis. It's hard to believe that such a legendary coach could have devolved so dramatically.[/quote]

I want to be clear I hope I am eating crow at the end of this season I really do, I am a St Louis fan but I see this team and I think why are they so bad? Why are they getting worse instead of better week to week? Is it the kids? The parents? The school AD or Admin? Every excuse has been already been used and no one wants to say it but this time it just might be the coach.. I hope I am wrong..

chasingchampionships
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

chasingchampionships wrote:

Doesn't St Louis have a strong, affluent alumni network? I'm sure they do. A lot of MDs, dentists, and lawyers graduated from St Louis. I know several of them personally.

riddle me this… if they are so affluent, why then did the alumni need to bail them out with $5 million loan (with the club house used as collateral) for the deferred maintenance instead of St Louis just getting that money coming in from donations???

Link

LET'S GO BOWS!

chasingchampionships
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

That's right. There are knuckleheads even at Iolani and Punahou; some "get through" the screening. Some students at Iolani and Punahou are barely getting by. I see nothing alarming about academic standards at St Louis.
how many st louis grad's go straight in to 4 year universities?

Link

LET'S GO BOWS!