Steps in the Recruiting process

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Steps in the Recruiting process

Post by CoachKen »

I wanted to start a monthly post on the high school recruiting process to help both parents and athletes. My book is finished and in the editing phase so I thought I would just take some excerpts out. Here we go for round one!

If you are an underclassman (freshman, sophomore, junior) You should be doing the following after this high school season:

1. Meet with your guidance counselor now! Go to the NCAA Clearinghouse at NCAA.org and pull down the core requirements to take with you. It does not matter what grade you are in, do this! I see too many players getting caught by academics.

2. If you are a sophomore or junior take both the SAT and ACT starting now! The more times you take it the better. It helps to go to the book store and buy one of the preparation books, you can raise your test scores by following the advice. I like "SAT I for Dummies" by Suzee Vlk.

3. Start putting together your highlight film early. We will talk about all the ways you can post it in a later post.

4. Meet with your position coach and head coach to get an honest assessment of your prospects. You need to know what level you are capable of playing and start identifying schools. I suggest choosing 10 NAIA, 10 DII, 10 DIII, 10 DI non BCS and 10 DI BCS. In the next post we will talk about how to contact schools and what to say since they cannot contact you via phone.

5. I will say this very strongly, be careful what you post on Facebook, MySpace, ect. Colleges are not using these to check out players. Don't disqualify yourself on a character issue by posting your last wild party. This is critical. Go clean your Facebook up now! Fill it with football and workout information.

6. Study hard. Every passing year the NCAA will be making academics a bigger issue. Don't be the one watching on signing day because you could not qualify academically...that's called heart break!

Any parents or athletes that want to listen in on a webinar, I would be glad to host it and talk more about the process. You have some great resources in Hawaii and I feel very comfortable in promoting them. Let me know by response and I will set up a free webinar.

God bless for the holidays and "Go Warriors."

CoachKen
Character, strength, and honor!

patmorris
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Steps in the Recruiting process

Post by patmorris »

Thanks Coach! that was helpful!

auckland electrolysis

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

patmorris wrote:Thanks Coach! that was helpful!
:o Really helpful 3 years later? Gee, for your first post, you should have commented on Temecula warrior or TW? :-
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
:o Really helpful 3 years later? Gee, for your first post, you should have commented on Temecula warrior or TW? :-
Speaking of whom, I wonder how he's doing?

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

wyokie wrote:
Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
:D I talked with him in MAY on da phone.......bradda TW seem busy and happy! \:D/
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
wyokie wrote:
Mr.EDGE808 wrote: :o Really helpful 3 years later? Gee, for your first post, you should have commented on Temecula warrior or TW? :-
:D I talked with him in MAY on da phone.......bradda TW seem busy and happy! \:D/
Glad to hear it! :D