Anyone been to practice? Any updates???

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: Any spring practice updates?

Post by stranger808 »

I'm starving for spring practice updates too. This is unlike past seasons where I got to read all kinds of Warrior stuff from posters. All I remember is someone wrote/said, Moussa has a strong arm. lol

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Here's an advertiser article.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/04/0 ... 9f713f4982
Like the fact that Rolo is starting to talk football now not win/loss. But dislike his joke about athlete's stipends since its such a pittance compared to what other athletes get at other schools. Second time he's made that comment as he said he was thinking about taking the stipend away from the Offensive line last year.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

many mahalos for posting that article, shrek2! great to read about our warriors working hard! Wow, Byrd has speed, coupled with Ursua at slot and Leeth at WR, whoa...watch-out! Holly and Reed at RB, lots of dangerous weapons. Now, if our QBs can grasp the Four Wide, we'll be ok. I'm not concerned about the Oline because of the JCs we have coming in. Go Warriors!!!!

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

The run-n-shoot might be due for a reemergence. Any time you put a different look, the other conference teams need to adjust for it. It is good for the fans and the team... assuming they can execute it.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

uhwarriors has the best updates but I think he does it only for the summer practices.
http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/footb ... tice-no-7/

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:12 pm uhwarriors has the best updates but I think he does it only for the summer practices.
http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/footb ... tice-no-7/
Sorry guys, I'm swamped with work and haven't been able to get to any practices this spring. Still hoping to get there a couple of times.

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

A slimmer Dakota Torres is practicing at slot
Heard Byrd, kamaka, Armstrong brown, Isiah leeth are really having good springs.
Justin Uahinui is impressing people and making the most of his opportunities
Ursua is looking healthy
Moussa has a strong arm
Defense is ahead of the offense as expected
Heard the secondary is very feisty
Heard Jay Dominique and Kalen Hicks would be the 1's at safety

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

I finally got to a practice last Saturday. Unfortunately, it was windy and raining which definitely affected the performance of the QBs and WRs in particular.

For those of you who had been to a practice during the 1999 to 2011 era, this practice was very much like those. Lots of throwing in individual drills, against air, 7 on 7 and 11 on 11. I can’t comment much on the players, since I was mostly focused on what kinds of plays were being run. Needless to say, I wasn’t disappointed in what I saw.

Execution was not particularly sharp due to the inclement conditions with badly thrown balls, dropped passes, QBs mishandling snaps and receivers slipping and sliding. The more important thing for me was that the QBs were trying to go through their reads and going to the right receiver and the receivers were running the right routes.

McDonald, Moussa and Uahinui seemed to get almost equal reps with McDonald getting more of the 1st team reps. Moussa has the best accuracy and arm strength but he’s going to the growing pains of leaning the offense. Uahinui has a nice tight delivery and was pretty accurate on the short and medium throws. All threw some nice passes on time and on target. But all also had trouble with the wet ball and threw errantly missing open receivers.

Bryd is as advertised. He’s fast and has good hands. Noa, Kamaka, Torres and Larson got a lot of reps at the SB positions. Torres has lost some weight and looks faster.

Stubblefield split time with Armstrong Brown at one WR position. Leeth, Rooks and Greeley got the reps at the other WR position. Rooks lost some weight since I saw him in February and appeared a little faster than I expected. He looks like he has good hands.

I heard practice was much better today. I’m hoping to get to practice on Saturday and see continued improvement in the offense.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks uhwarriors. I like your insight. Any thoughts on interior line play? Does it look like we are going to have the passing protection on the OL and the do not give up the big yardage on run plays with the DL? Any of the coaches being the motor mouth that is inspiring the kids?

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:23 am Thanks uhwarriors. I like your insight. Any thoughts on interior line play? Does it look like we are going to have the passing protection on the OL and the do not give up the big yardage on run plays with the DL? Any of the coaches being the motor mouth that is inspiring the kids?
I didn’t really pay any attention to the Oline since I was most interested in watching the kinds of pass plays we were running. One time when I looked at the Oline I saw LT Borden, LG Sunia, C Taaga, RG Graves and RT Vanterpool. I also saw Nuuanu-Kuhiki at OT another time.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

thank you, uhwarriors, you're the bestt!!!!!!!!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

The offense was a little sharper for last Saturday’s practice compared to the rainy and windy practice on 4/14. The weather was fine and the offense executed better. But while it was better, the offense has a long way to go to become the efficient well-oiled machine that many remember.

McDonald and Moussa got most of the reps with McDonald getting more of the 1st team reps. McDonald is in the lead because he’s more comfortable with the offensive scheme. Some of this year’s system was already in the last two years and he already has reps in it. He’s also more mature and confident as a redshirt sophomore. McDonald made some good reads and throws, but he can be erratic missing open receivers or throwing into coverage.

Moussa is still learning the system and it’s affecting his throwing. When he makes the right reads fast enough, he can make very good throws. But because of his inexperience with this type of offense, his timing and accuracy are many times affected.

Chung and Furuta are loads at RB. Furuta had a couple of nice short power runs getting first downs. Holly and Dale had some nice runs too.

The defense is running a bunch of different schemes and packages. The coaches are making sure they line up quickly between plays and switch personnel quickly when changing packages.

Two separate periods were dedicated to special teams at the beginning of practice and near the end. New ST coach, Ghobrial ran some really interesting coverage drills and in such a way to get a lot of reps in.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Mahalo uhwarriors. I like your insights.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

ug, went to shoot this past saturday's practice and no one was there at 4:30pm. I checked twitter later and saw that they moved the practice to morning :(