2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:22 pm
gopunahou wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:39 pm Regarding Iolani, it'll be interesting to see how they perform in the ILH tournament. They've played like utter doodoo against Maryknoll but will likely play them again. I've seen Iolani teams play lackluster ball (though not as bad as this year) before and win a state title (2014 comes to mind). Another helping Iolani, as I've said before, is that this is a year when the Winter Olympics are happening. Iolani has won every year since 1994 when the Winter Olympics happened.
@gopunahou: I think you can disregard the Olympics; it has no connection to Iolani School basketball.
Before today it was part of a pattern. The kind of stuff ESPN would mention and report about.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Anyone catch the girls championships? D1 game not as exciting as last year, but amazing how Kona just shut Maryknoll down in the second half.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Neighbor wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 pm Anyone catch the girls championships? D1 game not as exciting as last year, but amazing how Kona just shut Maryknoll down in the second half.
It was exciting to me lol. To see arguably the state's most talented girls team just get smacked like that was pretty darn impressive. I dunno whats in the water on Hawai'i island but O'ahu teams got taught a lesson this season.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Going into the game I thought Maryknoll was just too big and deep for kona. After the second qtr those thoughts went away and as I kept watching the start of the third, I knew once Kona took the lead it would play into the minds of the Maryknoll kids and the execution and adjustments made by Kona was never countered by Maryknoll making the pass and cut offense hard to stop. I thought Maryknoll would have dropped into a zone and let their big girls clog the middle, but they didn't. Awa moved her big girl out and cleared out the middle on the man to man zone and that was enough to open lanes for arguably the best one two point guards in the state. It was pretty nice to see a well coached team beat a loaded and far talented team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Getreal$ wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:33 pm Going into the game I thought Maryknoll was just too big and deep for kona. After the second qtr those thoughts went away and as I kept watching the start of the third, I knew once Kona took the lead it would play into the minds of the Maryknoll kids and the execution and adjustments made by Kona was never countered by Maryknoll making the pass and cut offense hard to stop. I thought Maryknoll would have dropped into a zone and let their big girls clog the middle, but they didn't. Awa moved her big girl out and cleared out the middle on the man to man zone and that was enough to open lanes for arguably the best one two point guards in the state. It was pretty nice to see a well coached team beat a loaded and far talented team.
@Getreal$: I was absolutely shocked that Maryknoll lost. And, not only did they lose; they were blown-out. I never thought that would happen; not this year. Maryknoll alumni must be pissed.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

My picks for the D1 state tournament:

Opening Round:
Moanalua beats Konawaena
Kahuku beats Kailua
Punahou beats McKinley
Kapolei beats Kamehameha-Maui

Quarter Finals
(1) Maryknoll beats Kapolei
Kahuku beats (4) Kamehaeha-Hawai'i
(2) Kalaheo beats Moanalua
Punahou beats (3) Lahainaluna

Semi-Finals
Kahuku beats (1) Maryknoll
Punahou beats (2) Kalaheo

Finals
Punahou beats Kahuku :x

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Naz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 pm My picks for the D1 state tournament:

Opening Round:
Moanalua beats Konawaena
Kahuku beats Kailua
Punahou beats McKinley
Kapolei beats Kamehameha-Maui

Quarter Finals
(1) Maryknoll beats Kapolei
Kahuku beats (4) Kamehaeha-Hawai'i
(2) Kalaheo beats Moanalua
Punahou beats (3) Lahainaluna

Semi-Finals
Kahuku beats (1) Maryknoll
Punahou beats (2) Kalaheo

Finals
Punahou beats Kahuku :x
I agree and would love another shot at Kahuku. Bottom line: we cannot afford the kind of inconsistency we've suffered for the past couple of weeks.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:07 pm
I agree and would love another shot at Kahuku. Bottom line: we cannot afford the kind of inconsistency we've suffered for the past couple of weeks.
Should be fun I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kalaheo's magic ran out. Moanalua's next opponent will be us.

Meanwhile, the Kahuku-Maryknoll game is appealing!
Last edited by gopunahou on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 pm Kalaheo's magic ran out. Moanalua's next opponent will be us.

Meanwhile, the Kahuku-Moanalua game is appealing!
@gopunahou:
1. Moanalua's magic will probably run-out against Punahou. But, as you surely already know, I'll be pulling for Moanalua.
2. You mean, the Kahuku v Maryknoll game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The Maryknoll-Kahuku game is the 1st semifinal tonight, even though that’s the better game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:24 am The Maryknoll-Kahuku game is the 1st semifinal tonight, even though that’s the better game.
@gopunahou: I agree that that will probably be the closer game. Something tells me Punahou will murder Moanalua.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:24 am The Maryknoll-Kahuku game is the 1st semifinal tonight, even though that’s the better game.
Whoever scheduled the game probably wants Kahuku and their supporters to not have to drive back home so late.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm
Whoever scheduled the game probably wants Kahuku and their supporters to not have to drive back home so late.
@Naz: That's a good point, seeing as tomorrow is a school day.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Markeke wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:10 pm I think once Kahuku players gets condition to basketball and play together, they will produce. Plus Coach Akana is a high caliber coach. It's how you finish.
Quote from Dec. The Kalaheo lost was a lesson learned. With this win against Marynoll, you can see the other players contribute and play lights out. Winitana and Enos played clutch. Tolu Smith is Tolu Smith. Sauvao and Damuni also balled. Kahuku looks like a finish product. Back to the finals.