Live Aloha hurting Rolo?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Live Aloha hurting Rolo?

Post by BigWave96744 »

When Rolo left Nevada it was mentioned not only would he not take anyone from Nevada, but he also wouldn't recruit anyone Nevada offered.

Fast forward to his stay at Hawaii.
Daronte Jones leaves and takes Nick Nelson
Brandon Kipper leaves to Oregon St and with coach Kafenses.
Rumors are couple other guys are being recruited by Rolo's former coaches.
Some guys recruited by teams we will face 1 to 2 years from now.

Rolo also said he wouldn't recruit guys who verbally committed to other schools, yet our verbal are constantly being poached, even up to signing day.

I get the Live Aloha slogan, but in college recruiting it's dog eat dog, the weak get the scraps or nothing.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Live Aloha hurting Rolo?

Post by Irse »

He needs to set his standards and live by them regardless of what others do. If he feels something is wrong, then he shouldn't do it. I may be a bit naive but feel that in the end, good character and right values wins out. I may take a little longer to see desired results though.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:47 am He needs to set his standards and live by them regardless of what others do. If he feels something is wrong, then he shouldn't do it. I may be a bit naive but feel that in the end, good character and right values wins out. I may take a little longer to see desired results though.
I agree. Live by your own belief system. If it's a good one, it will carry you where you want to go.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I like to see a clean program too. I'm sort of setting my standards low. Winning season and Hawaii Bowl is the goal. Anything more is...well maybe that's it.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Rolo is a "GOOD" young coach.

Nothing that I mentioned is illegal or dirty.
There are MANY GREAT coaches with high moral values who has done some of the mentioned. Nothing personal, it's part of the game. But that may be the difference between GOOD and GREAT.

Oh BTW as mentioned in another thread Florida is still pursuing Faumui even though he committed to Hawaii. Oh well....

Irse

Post by Irse »

BTW, where did Rolo say he wouldn't go after someone who is already committed? Wasn't Welch committed to Navy before changing to UH?
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:40 pm BTW, where did Rolo say he wouldn't go after someone who is already committed? Wasn't Welch committed to Navy before changing to UH?
he said it on the radio and TV in his first year.
It went in the line of, "If a guy doesn't want to be here, next man up."

This works when you are constantly winning or have a long time football tradition.

Also the "I-Gen" or post millennial generation is all about "Being Loved", having the most likes, selfies, etc. They love the attention of being sought after.

As far as Welch, Hawaii tripped him after he decommitted from Navy.
http://khon2.com/2017/12/20/breaking-ka ... of-hawaii/

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

This is good news
The only stipulation Hawaii and coach Nick Rolovich imposed is that Collie cannot transfer to another Mountain West school.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/01/3 ... vo-or-not/

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 pm
Welch tripped the weekend of 12/16 & 17 which was the last weekend for visits before the 12/20 early signing date. See photo taken on 12/17. He is standing next to Stutzmann. Welch being on OV then was a big hint of things to come. The article says he decommitted from Navy on Tuesday (12/19) and signed the NLI on Wednesday (12/20). From 12/18 to 1/11 it was a dead period (i.e. no face to face contact), thus no visits were permitted.

Irse

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 pm
Irse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:40 pm BTW, where did Rolo say he wouldn't go after someone who is already committed? Wasn't Welch committed to Navy before changing to UH?
he said it on the radio and TV in his first year.
It went in the line of, "If a guy doesn't want to be here, next man up."

This works when you are constantly winning or have a long time football tradition.

Also the "I-Gen" or post millennial generation is all about "Being Loved", having the most likes, selfies, etc. They love the attention of being sought after.

I wouldn't take things so literally. Plus his strategy can always change.
But he needs to do what HE thinks is right and not determine what HE believes to be right by what others do. Getting someone to decommit from another school to come to us is not unethical, illegal or anything like that but if Rolo doesn't want to do that, it's fine with me. If he does, that's fine with me too. It's his program and he should run it like he sees fit.
ImageImage

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

It's part of the recruiting game to get players you want, talk to them even after they gave a verbal to another school, at the very least let them know you're still interested in their game. It's open season as long as the recruit didn't sign the LOI. If our coaches aren't doing that, they have missed the boat as far as recruiting goes.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I think the Rolo statement about "Live aloha, play warrior" is being misinterpreted. Live aloha, I believe, was intented to mean be civil in public, good to the brothers on the football team and nice to strangers. It wasn't intended to mean that this is the great mahele where you give away the ranch or in this case what the topic seems to be hinting is that he is giving away players to be nice. All head coaches should have one goal in mind which is to win games within their own set of ethics and morals which should be inclusive of the NCAA rules. If anything players are leaving or not being recruited because they don't believe in the program or coaches. Everybody wants to be a winner. Who would Rolo want to recruit from UNR? They were 3-9.