Why a 1 and done QB might not be a bad idea

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Why a 1 and done QB might not be a bad idea

Post by EITSwarrior »

Why do people think Tuileta knows the RNS? Punahou didn’t run the RNS. Maybe some concepts here and there, but Punahou didn’t do it like St. Louis.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 pm Why do people think Tuileta knows the RNS? Punahou didn’t run the RNS. Maybe some concepts here and there, but Punahou didn’t do it like St. Louis.
Why do people think Tuileta doesn't know some of Rolo's RNS? Wasn't he on UH's QB roster last season, when Rolo implemented some RNS plays? Maybe some concepts here and there.

When I spoke of his potential, I was also referring to his 2013 Division I state championship as a senior, completing 58.9% of his passes for 2,647 yards with 28 touchdowns and just five interceptions. And as a senior, selected as the Gatorade Hawai‘i Player of the Year for the second consecutive season, named the Honolulu Star-Advertiser State Offensive Player of the Year and KHON Cover2 Hawai‘i High School Football Offensive Player of the Year Award winner. In his Junior year, he had a 63.4% passing completion for 2,588 yards with 28 TDs and only one interception. He is capable of throwing the coconut.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:22 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 pm Why do people think Tuileta knows the RNS? Punahou didn’t run the RNS. Maybe some concepts here and there, but Punahou didn’t do it like St. Louis.
Why do people think Tuileta doesn't know some of Rolo's RNS? Wasn't he on UH's QB roster last season, when Rolo implemented some RNS plays? Maybe some concepts here and there.

When I spoke of his potential, I was also referring to his 2013 Division I state championship as a senior, completing 58.9% of his passes for 2,647 yards with 28 touchdowns and just five interceptions. And as a senior, selected as the Gatorade Hawai‘i Player of the Year for the second consecutive season, named the Honolulu Star-Advertiser State Offensive Player of the Year and KHON Cover2 Hawai‘i High School Football Offensive Player of the Year Award winner. In his Junior year, he had a 63.4% passing completion for 2,588 yards with 28 TDs and only one interception. He is capable of throwing the coconut.
Sure he may know some RNS stuff, but it’s not like he’s some savant. Remember it took Colt a season to fully grasp it.

Also almost all division 1 QBs put up good numbers in high school. Just cause you were good in high school, doesn’t mean you’ll be good in college.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Going back to the OP's question, I personally am fine with the QB roster of McDonald, Tuileta, Uahinui, Moussa and Cordeiro.

Develop all of them for the RNS next season and future seasons and bring UH back to being one of the top passing teams in the country again. I am confident that Rolo can do this again.

Many UH Football fans lament the missed opportunities of QB's like Mariota and Milton going away and not playing for the Home Team. We have QB's with very high upside potential on our QB roster that stayed home or returned home to play for UH and would really like to see our Coaches develop them.

At the same time, we are also fortunate to have QB's that chose to come and play for Hawaii and represent UH Football.

Develop all of them in the RNS.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Tuileta was a top QB in High School, but so was pretty much all D1 QB offered a scholarship out of high school.

There are hoards of 3, 4, 5 star QB, who practice everyday for 3-4 years and yet never play a down. How can we be excited about someone who practices part time for the past 4 years?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:53 pm Tuileta was a top QB in High School, but so was pretty much all D1 QB offered a scholarship out of high school.

There are hoards of 3, 4, 5 star QB, who practice everyday for 3-4 years and yet never play a down. How can we be excited about someone who practices part time for the past 4 years?
Exactly

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

At the end of the day, it's still your choice to chose whether or not to be excited about a QB on the team.

Whether he practices part time or year round, if he was awarded a scholarship by the Coaching staff to wear Hawaii's jersey and is talented enough to contribute to both Men's VB and football and help BOTH teams win, I'll support him even more.

I support ALL the QB's on the roster, and hope that they help each other raise the level of competition at the QB position.

If Tuileta happens to win the starting job next season, would you be excited about him then? If not then, how about if he led the team to a winning season?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

wwf,
I hear you but Rolo also gave Hunter Hughes a scholie. Yet both never got 1 snap.

I do support everyone on the team I also feel that if you are the leader of the offense (QB), on a team that really lacked last season, it would be a major spark to your teammates to start grinding with them now.

Back in 2006-2007, Colt would hui up the offensive guys to work out at Kapiolani Park in January.

On new years day 2009, "Logo" Fonoti was working out at Ala Moana Park with AL Noga because he wanted to set the tone for the Defense.
Leaders lead by example

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Even Alabama is looking at a Grad transfer to fill an immediate puka (note PK not QB)
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index ... ng_gr.html

Last year Boise St brought in a grad transfer QB
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.idahosta ... 05099.html

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I wouldn't mind a grad transfer if Rolo thinks the guy is smart enough to pick up the RnS offense in his first year. He would be useless if he couldn't. I would rather struggle with a FR learning instead of a SR learning the system. Then we would have to go through the whole process again the next year.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:37 am I wouldn't mind a grad transfer if Rolo thinks the guy is smart enough to pick up the RnS offense in his first year. He would be useless if he couldn't. I would rather struggle with a FR learning instead of a SR learning the system. Then we would have to go through the whole process again the next year.
Yes I would like to see either Moussa or Cordiero, but I've been hearing on the radio and new print that McDonald or Tuileta are the forerunners to start 2018.

Reading you comment, would you also be reluctant to develop Tuileta, a part time Senior? If Tui was grinding full time, watching film, woking with receivers, etc I would be behind him. Tui's resume highlights since graduating in 2014 consist of starring in the Scout Bowl in 2017. If our options are McDonald or Tuileta, I would rather get a 1 and done instead of enduring another down trodden season

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:40 am
Irse wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:37 am I wouldn't mind a grad transfer if Rolo thinks the guy is smart enough to pick up the RnS offense in his first year. He would be useless if he couldn't. I would rather struggle with a FR learning instead of a SR learning the system. Then we would have to go through the whole process again the next year.
Yes I would like to see either Moussa or Cordiero, but I've been hearing on the radio and new print that McDonald or Tuileta are the forerunners to start 2018.

Reading you comment, would you also be reluctant to develop Tuileta, a part time Senior? If Tui was grinding full time, watching film, woking with receivers, etc I would be behind him. Tui's resume highlights since graduating in 2014 consist of starring in the Scout Bowl in 2017. If our options are McDonald or Tuileta, I would rather get a 1 and done instead of enduring another down trodden season
If Tui would spend the necessary time with the team then yes. I might rather have Tui than a grad transfer. Depending on the scholarship situation. With some guys transferring, does it open up the possibilities for the mid year transfer, including Moussa to count against last year's class instead of this year's class. If we can get some of the guys to count against last year's class, we can sign more than the 25, then I wouldn't want to give a grad transfer a scholarship. If he is willing to come with a scholarship, then fine. On the other had, if last year's class was full and we can't have a mid year transfer count against last year's class, then maybe can give the scholarship to a grad transfer.

If McDonald is better than the two FR then I would be fine with that. He has three more years. If they are really close, then I would go with the FR.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

That's a lot of if's, though. What if, no disrespect intended, Tui is given the position and just isn't any good? Warriors fail to make a bowl game under him at 5-8 or so. Then we will have put our eggs into the Senior basket again and failed again...and we get to restart the process again in 2019.

We've chased our tails for years under Chow with this approach. I'd rather suffer through a struggle in 2018, but build towards something positive under Cordeiro or Moussa, than chance the band aid approach again and fail again.

We've given the vets chances for majority of this decade. Let's ride with a young talent for once.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm wwf,
I hear you but Rolo also gave Hunter Hughes a scholie. Yet both never got 1 snap.

I do support everyone on the team I also feel that if you are the leader of the offense (QB), on a team that really lacked last season, it would be a major spark to your teammates to start grinding with them now.

Back in 2006-2007, Colt would hui up the offensive guys to work out at Kapiolani Park in January.

On new years day 2009, "Logo" Fonoti was working out at Ala Moana Park with AL Noga because he wanted to set the tone for the Defense.
Leaders lead by example
BW,
Big difference between Hunter Hughes and Larry Tuileta in skill sets, but it's not about just Tuileta, but more about being excited about all the possibilities of the QBs on the roster. What they can bring to the program.
McDonald brings a true Dual threat concern, Tuileta could bring senior maturity and develop leadership skills while providing some time for Moussa and Cordeiro to develop in UH's RNS.
The freshmen bring new hope to future seasons and Uahinui could be the dark horse favorite, like Moniz did.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

List of available is QBs is growing

Even Chris Petersen may stock up with a Transfer QB
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/co ... 78849.html