2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:41 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:45 pm
@Naz: Well, actually St Louis has always been D1, and they've been decent for at least the past five years; they haven't sucked since the early-'90s. It's Mid-Pac that definitely deserves credit for staying in D1.
I feel if MidPac decided to go D2 for a season or two, they would give SF a run for their money for the ILH and states but I respect the heck out of them for sticking it out and building at the D1 level. While we're on the topic of Saint Louis, can anyone remember when the last time Saint Louis got one of the ILH spots heading into states? I honestly can't remember the last time I saw SL in states for boy's bb. What I do know is that this year, Saint Louis lines up like this: 6'9", 6'7", 6'5", 6'5", 6'5", 6'3", 6'2", 6'2". Now I take all listed heights with a grain of salt because often they are exaggerated but even so, this kind of lineup is unmatched across the state. There is no reason Saint Louis should not compete for the ILH and they are packed with juniors and seniors. And yet, they have losses already to Kalaheo and Farrington. Go figure.
@Naz: Well, in an earlier post on this thread, gopunahou said that Punahou is the tallest team in the state. One possible reason St Louis may have dropped those two games is that perhaps some of their starters were in that all-star football game; I'm not sure, though. Another possible reason? As they say, size isn't everything. It's one thing to be tall; it's another to be tall and good.
Regarding Mid-Pac, yeah: Give them credit for having the b*lls to stay in D1. St Francis should take a hint.
Regarding St Louis: Again, perhaps they haven't made it to D1 states in a while. But at the same time, they were rarely if ever last in ILH D1. Again, it's a matter of St Louis having decent basketball teams, but not being so good that they get into states. You figure that two basketball schools--Iolani and Punahou--are always standing in St Louis' way, and ILH D1 gets only two berths in the state D1 tourney. So, of course, those two are usually Iolani and Punahou. Once in a while, Maryknoll or Kamehameha gets in. This year, if Kamehameha stops screwing-up, it might be Punahou and Kamehameha going to D1 states. By "screwing-up," I mean barely getting past Farrington. I'm not saying Farrington sucks, but nonetheless the game shouldn't have been that close. Kamehameha f*cked-up, pure and simple, and it almost cost them the game.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 pm
@Naz: Well, in an earlier post on this thread, gopunahou said that Punahou is the tallest team in the state. One possible reason St Louis may have dropped those two games is that perhaps some of their starters were in that all-star football game; I'm not sure, though. Another possible reason? As they say, size isn't everything. It's one thing to be tall; it's another to be tall and good.
Regarding Mid-Pac, yeah: Give them credit for having the b*lls to stay in D1. St Francis should take a hint.
Regarding St Louis: Again, perhaps they haven't made it to D1 states in a while. But at the same time, they were rarely if ever last in ILH D1. Again, it's a matter of St Louis having decent basketball teams, but not being so good that they get into states. You figure that two basketball schools--Iolani and Punahou--are always standing in St Louis' way, and ILH D1 gets only two berths in the state D1 tourney. So, of course, those two are usually Iolani and Punahou. Once in a while, Maryknoll or Kamehameha gets in. This year, if Kamehameha stops screwing-up, it might be Punahou and Kamehameha going to D1 states. By "screwing-up," I mean barely getting past Farrington. I'm not saying Farrington sucks, but nonetheless the game shouldn't have been that close. Kamehameha f*cked-up, pure and simple, and it almost cost them the game.
I guess your assessment on size is correct as Saint Louis dropped another one to Moanalua tonight by 19 points. Side note: Div. II Saint Francis beat Kalaheo by 17 or 19 tonight.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think somebody mentioned that St. Louis had a 6-9 player. That "6-9" player is really the 5-9 Noa Purcell. St. Louis still fields a big team, though.

Kamehameha has proven to be inconsistent, so far. They routed Kahuku last night but are trailing Leilehua, 40-30.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 pm
I guess your assessment on size is correct as Saint Louis dropped another one to Moanalua tonight by 19 points. Side note: Div. II Saint Francis beat Kalaheo by 17 or 19 tonight.
@Naz: Is anyone else getting really annoyed with St Francis? It is absolutely bogus that they're in D2. They should be called on it. All the other D2 schools should raise hell.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 pm I think somebody mentioned that St. Louis had a 6-9 player. That "6-9" player is really the 5-9 Noa Purcell. St. Louis still fields a big team, though.

Kamehameha has proven to be inconsistent, so far. They routed Kahuku last night but are trailing Leilehua, 40-30.
@gopunahou: They managed to beat Leilehua by 11 in OT. Also, keep in mind that Kahuku didn't have Smith, the 6'9" player whom Naz says is the only D1-college player in the state. You figure he would have been worth at least 15 points.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:56 pm
@Naz: Is anyone else getting really annoyed with St Francis? It is absolutely bogus that they're in D2. They should be called on it. All the other D2 schools should raise hell.
They can always refuse to play them, i.e. forfeit.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 pm I think somebody mentioned that St. Louis had a 6-9 player. That "6-9" player is really the 5-9 Noa Purcell. St. Louis still fields a big team, though.
Up until last night, Saint Louis's roster on Scoringlive listed those heights. As of today, the roster has since been changed and the 6'9" player is no longer listed lol. But still, a 6'7", three 6'5"players, a 6'3", and two 6'2" players on the roster list is still a monster lineup for Hawai'i prep bball.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:12 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:56 pm

They can always refuse to play them, i.e. forfeit.
@gopunahou: But that makes it even easier for St Francis; then they win without playing at all. I wonder which school is the next-strongest in D2.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 pm
Up until last night, Saint Louis's roster on Scoringlive listed those heights. As of today, the roster has since been changed and the 6'9" player is no longer listed lol. But still, a 6'7", three 6'5"players, a 6'3", and two 6'2" players on the roster list is still a monster lineup for Hawai'i prep bball.
@Naz: You had mentioned that St Louis lost to Moanalua by 19 last night. I assume you've heard that St Louis lost by 42 to Kalaheo tonight.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

I don't remember how long ago it was, but I totally liked the format where the best ILH Div. 2 team (from the smaller schools) had to play in the ILH Div. 1 tournament to fight for one of the ILH's state tournament spots. I was a fan of ONE division for the state tournament. I think St. Francis has absolutely no qualms about remaining in Div. 2 for as long as they can I don't think they care who complains about it. I'm curious to know if they have been called out on it by other coaches from either division. I for one will always acknowledge that the best team at the end of the season will be the Div. 1 champions I don't care how good people think the Div. 2 champion is. In addition, the Gatorade Player of the Year award, in my opinion, should always go to a Div. 1 player.

Btw, the Saint Louis that Kalaheo beat by 42 tonight was the "second" Saint Louis varsity team that competes in ILH-AA. However, Kalaheo did beat Saint Louis's top varsity team by 6 earlier in preseason on 12/2

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:09 pm
I don't remember how long ago it was, but I totally liked the format where the best ILH Div. 2 team (from the smaller schools) had to play in the ILH Div. 1 tournament to fight for one of the ILH's state tournament spots. I was a fan of ONE division for the state tournament. I think St. Francis has absolutely no qualms about remaining in Div. 2 for as long as they can I don't think they care who complains about it. I'm curious to know if they have been called out on it by other coaches from either division. I for one will always acknowledge that the best team at the end of the season will be the Div. 1 champions I don't care how good people think the Div. 2 champion is. In addition, the Gatorade Player of the Year award, in my opinion, should always go to a Div. 1 player.

Btw, the Saint Louis that Kalaheo beat by 42 tonight was the "second" Saint Louis varsity team that competes in ILH-AA. However, Kalaheo did beat Saint Louis's top varsity team by 6 earlier in preseason on 12/2
@Naz: Yeah, I went back to ScoringLive and saw the "St Louis II" designation. Earlier, I saw the red Crusader emblem and had just assumed that it was St Louis' first team. I didn't even notice the "II" at the time.
Mid-Pac beat Moanalua by 2 tonight. As you said, Moanalua beat St Louis by 19 last night. Perhaps Mid-Pac really does fully belong in D1 after all.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Before now, has anyone given St. Francis basketball grief about playing in D2? Because before the 2000s even ended, Iolani FB and Coach Look were the recipients of non-stop criticism from football fans (including myself, all because of outlandish claims and justifications from Iolani elitists). And would St. Francis players welcome the challenge of playing the likes of Punahou, Iolani, Kamehameha, and Maryknoll twice? At least St. Francis can’t use the “safety” argument in BB like Iolani FB laughably did. But I think that one of the reasons Iolani complied with the ILH to play the Big Three in football is because their players loved to play the Big Three (they also must’ve thought it would’ve helped them win the D1 championship two years ago).

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm Before now, has anyone given St. Francis basketball grief about playing in D2? Because before the 2000s even ended, Iolani FB and Coach Look were the recipients of non-stop criticism from football fans (including myself, all because of outlandish claims and justifications from Iolani elitists). And would St. Francis players welcome the challenge of playing the likes of Punahou, Iolani, Kamehameha, and Maryknoll twice? At least St. Francis can’t use the “safety” argument in BB like Iolani FB laughably did. But I think that one of the reasons Iolani complied with the ILH to play the Big Three in football is because their players loved to play the Big Three (they also must’ve thought it would’ve helped them win the D1 championship two years ago).
I have read articles on ScoringLive where the Saint Francis coach has talked his players up, likened his players' skill-sets to that of NBA players, and said his players could go head-to-head and were just as good if not better than certain Division 1 players in the state. If you're gonna talk that big game, get your backside up to Division 2. Otherwise, that is all just talk. As the coach, how can you honestly feel that you have the best team in the state knowing that for the majority of the season, you are not competing at the highest division the state has to offer. I have to assume the Saint Francis players would welcome the step up to D1, some of them have been quoted with saying they intend to play collegiately. I don't know too many college coaches recruiting Hawai'i in general, let alone Div II in Hawai'i.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

The greatest accomplishment in Hawaii prep BB was the Kalaheo team winning State in D2 in 2012, then moving up to D1 and winning D1 States in 2013. Maybe St.Francis can take a cue.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Markeke wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:13 pm The greatest accomplishment in Hawaii prep BB was the Kalaheo team winning State in D2 in 2012, then moving up to D1 and winning D1 States in 2013. Maybe St.Francis can take a cue.
No, sir. Please do not designate this as "the greatest accomplishment in Hawaii prep BB". Everyone and their mother knew that Kalaheo had no business in D2 that year. I can think of 2 things off the top of my head from the 2016-2017 season alone that were more impressive than that: 1) The fact that FOUR players from last season signed D1 LOIs (has this ever happened in the history of Hawai'i?!?) and 2) Kahuku finishing 3rd in the 2016 Iolani Classic beating 3 out of 4 out-of-state teams.