Will Rolo "Clean House"???

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Will Rolo "Clean House"???

Post by poidog »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 am When Rolo was a player, June cleaned house after year 2 and the team followed with 4 straight winning seasons and 3 Bowl games (2001-04)
who left the staff after the 2000 season? I can't remember... Mack left in '99, Lempa in '02 or '03, Mcknight left at some point... Cal Lee joined in '00 or '01 and Helton was a GA in charge of special teams at some point... but Lumpkin, Morrison, Ron Lee, Cav, Suan, Singletary, Miano were all there from the beginning to the end of the JJ era. Not trying to argue with you - just trying to remember who left...

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

poidog wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 am When Rolo was a player, June cleaned house after year 2 and the team followed with 4 straight winning seasons and 3 Bowl games (2001-04)
who left the staff after the 2000 season? I can't remember... Mack left in '99, Lempa in '02 or '03, Mcknight left at some point... Cal Lee joined in '00 or '01 and Helton was a GA in charge of special teams at some point... but Lumpkin, Morrison, Ron Lee, Cav, Suan, Singletary, Miano were all there from the beginning to the end of the JJ era. Not trying to argue with you - just trying to remember who left...
Now with year 2 winding down, does Rolo have it in him to clean house on both scholie players and coaches?
Many players were not renewed and recommended they transfer by June, Mack, Chow. And it goes the same for other schools when a new coach takes the helm. Not being brutal, just the nature of the beast.

As far as coaches, Mack didn't bring back Tommy Lee after 1 season and didn't retain fan favorite Reinbold

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Rolovich needs to show that he actually cares about changing next season around. Hell even Norm Chow changed coaches year after year. Why should fans go to the games knowing that the team has the same coaching staff from last year? I'm sorry but I have no faith in this coaching staff. All I see is a bunch of ex Hawaii players acting like coaches. It doesn't help that they run a monkey offense. there are plenty of qualified coaches that will take a pay cut to coach at Hawaii. Please Rolo. Do something now or the remaining fans will leave for good.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Egonator wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:19 am Rolovich needs to show that he actually cares about changing next season around. Hell even Norm Chow changed coaches year after year. Why should fans go to the games knowing that the team has the same coaching staff from last year? I'm sorry but I have no faith in this coaching staff. All I see is a bunch of ex Hawaii players acting like coaches. It doesn't help that they run a monkey offense. there are plenty of qualified coaches that will take a pay cut to coach at Hawaii. Please Rolo. Do something now or the remaining fans will leave for good.
Seems like nobody wanted to work with Chow.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:17 pm
poidog wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 pm
Now with year 2 winding down, does Rolo have it in him to clean house on both scholie players and coaches?
Many players were not renewed and recommended they transfer by June, Mack, Chow. And it goes the same for other schools when a new coach takes the helm. Not being brutal, just the nature of the beast.

As far as coaches, Mack didn't bring back Tommy Lee after 1 season and didn't retain fan favorite Reinbold
I thought that Tommy Lee only worked under Chow?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Oops mistake
Here is the corrections
Mack
replaced Ron Lee with Rolo as OC
replaced Cal Lee with Aranda DC

Chow
replaced Tommy Lee with himself as OC

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

I hate to root for someone to lose a job but I believe he will make changes. After a season like we just had it would be insane not too make changes. Is it true that all assistant coaches are on 1 year contracts?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Too early to clean house. Got to wait till all the coaches have their own recruits in place. So far, it's only been 2 recruiting seasons, the first being hampered by "cleaning house" from the previous group of coaches. Without stability within the coaching team, we'll never get better. That's 50 of the 85 available scholarships, probably less has he kept some to give to previous walkons. Half or more of the high school recruits are red shirts, gray shirts, or freshmen who got thrown into the pit before they were 'really' ready for D1 football out of necessity. Injuries to the first team really took their toll on the team and schemes. Hopefully, next season, they will have more depth to let the injured rest and recuperate better.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:17 pm
ahhh ok, i missed the part about players. You are correct on that, if I remember correctly...

Irse

Post by Irse »

gpmcconnell wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:28 am I hate to root for someone to lose a job but I believe he will make changes. After a season like we just had it would be insane not too make changes. Is it true that all assistant coaches are on 1 year contracts?
Generally they are on one year contracts. We did sign Clune to two years to be our DC but he still left after one year when a better offer came.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

madeinhawaii wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:55 am Too early to clean house. Got to wait till all the coaches have their own recruits in place. So far, it's only been 2 recruiting seasons, the first being hampered by "cleaning house" from the previous group of coaches. Without stability within the coaching team, we'll never get better. That's 50 of the 85 available scholarships, probably less has he kept some to give to previous walkons. Half or more of the high school recruits are red shirts, gray shirts, or freshmen who got thrown into the pit before they were 'really' ready for D1 football out of necessity. Injuries to the first team really took their toll on the team and schemes. Hopefully, next season, they will have more depth to let the injured rest and recuperate better.
So VonAppen shouldn't have been fired after 3 years since his payoff year would have been 1999?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

honu888 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 am
ulua wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 pm I swear I keep checking the staradvertiser and here to see if any coaches got fired yet...........is that bad? LOL
It sure doesn’t seem like any of the coaching staff will be terminated. There are few coaches recruiting now but maybe the ones that aren’t out recruiting are back here being evaluated by Rolo. I guess we’ll find out in a weeks time or so.
I'm beginning to think the staff will remain the same with 2 new position coaches being added and Dru will be the starter in 2018.

Setting my expectations low so I won't be anymore disappointed in 2018

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

There are plenty of examples of new coaches taking rubbish teams and instantly turning them into bowl competitive teams. The idea that we have to wait for his guys to mature is just plain nonsense. Rolovich has done a great job of recruiting but he also has to coach up those players he inherited. All coaches do this. The most famous being our own June Jones when he inherited Von Crappen players.

Rolovich must change his ways if he wishes to succeed as a head coach.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Rolo did turn Chow's players into a bowl team last year (although not as good as June's team). JJ's second year team won as many as this year's team did.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Irse wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:16 pm Rolo did turn Chow's players into a bowl team last year (although not as good as June's team). JJ's second year team won as many as this year's team did.
LOL...you got that right.

http://static.hawaiiathletics.com/custo ... AMCUME.HTM

By looking at the roster, I'd say Jones was mixing it up with coaches and a new quarterback. Gosh, was that Timmy Chang, Nick Rolovich, and Ashley Lelie's first year?

I haven't given up on Rolovich yet. There is a world of difference between an inexperienced head coach and a seasoned one in June Jones.