*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Bobby Curran and John Veneri should be paying for their tickets at UH games

Post by shrek2 »

ulua wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:43 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:10 pm Those broadcasters actually work for CBS Sports, not Nevada.
I think he was referring to Nevades radio broadcaster not the TV broadcasters
Yeah, in an earlier post someone recommended listening to the other team's broadcasters if I didn't like Bobby and John and so I did. They had a good interview with the coach who talked about his players seeing holes in Hawaii's defense and how they hoped to capitalize on them. They also had an interview with Timmy Chang who is the inside receivers coach. They did a really professional game calling with the color man doing a good job of giving his opinions. The play by play man was praised by his color man as to his pronunciation of the polynesian names when he said Meffy Kolomatangi and the play by play man said that was his only job. Thanks to the earlier poster for the idea.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 am Your not going to find anyone more loyal to UH sports.

I also prefer not to listen. If you are listening online, get the visiting teams audio feed.
Thanks Fan. I never thought about getting it since I usually dial into the UH website. I think they are probably great fans that should be sitting in the seats not the booth.
Visiting broadcasters usually do their homework. Most have a more subdued tone appropriate to a mid level NCAA contest. I find most to be quite respectful of our team. Also they are apologetic for not getting the names right.
Thanks Unbiased Fan. Reno had a couple of really professional broadcasters. They did a good job of pronouncing all the Polynesian names.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks Fan. I never thought about getting it since I usually dial into the UH website. I think they are probably great fans that should be sitting in the seats not the booth.
Visiting broadcasters usually do their homework. Most have a more subdued tone appropriate to a mid level NCAA contest. I find most to be quite respectful of our team. Also they are apologetic for not getting the names right.
Thanks Unbiased Fan. Reno had a couple of really professional broadcasters. They did a good job of pronouncing all the Polynesian names.

I think I discovered this option when I used to check opponents sites to see if they have a video stream. They almost always have a link to an audio stream. It is easy to go back and forth between if you are listening online. I almost always end up sticking with the other team’s stream.

On a slightly different topic, Fox Sports San Diego has a coaches show with Rocky Long. I was able to watch a couple times and came away very impressed with their program and coach. They are definitely the class of the conference and they will not being going away any time soon.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 am

I think I discovered this option when I used to check opponents sites to see if they have a video stream. They almost always have a link to an audio stream. It is easy to go back and forth between if you are listening online. I almost always end up sticking with the other team’s stream.

On a slightly different topic, Fox Sports San Diego has a coaches show with Rocky Long. I was able to watch a couple times and came away very impressed with their program and coach. They are definitely the class of the conference and they will not being going away any time soon.
Your OT note just confirms to me that SDSU belongs in the Pac-12. They already beat ASU and Stanford. From what I can recall they have a student population of 30,000.

Any way, when you live on the mainland you get spoiled by the great sports casting that I kind of get annoyed by the two locals that don't do their homework.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Thanks for the correction on the Nevada radio broadcasters! But that's why I don't listen to Booby and Veneri in the first place.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

amela
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

whirlygig5 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 pm i don't mind them, as long as i don't have to listen to the slow staaaaaalling talking Kekaula
Kekaula is trying to imitate Jim Leahy with his manapua. Be original man.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

amela wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm
whirlygig5 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 pm i don't mind them, as long as i don't have to listen to the slow staaaaaalling talking Kekaula
Kekaula is trying to imitate Jim Leahy with his manapua. Be original man.
I'm not sure why Whirlygig and you are using this thread to complain about Kekaula, but here is the thread you should be doing your complaining on.
http://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtopi ... 0&start=15

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

Truth

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I think that BC and JV did nothing to sell the program but just gave grumblings of disappointment that fans should discuss as opposed to announcers. If you represent the program you have to say positive things so that people will listen to the game next year. Just like many losing teams in a season, you say positive things so that you don't lose listeners during the game. I imagine that not many sponsors want to sponsor UH football broadcasts next year. Although I don't know how sophisticated the marketers who sell time for their products are in Hawaii.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Nah, you just need to be good, fun, and interesting. Kanoa Leahey and Artie Wilson are great and the thing I love about them is that they continually hype up both UH players and players on the opposing teams we're playing.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:23 am Nah, you just need to be good, fun, and interesting. Kanoa Leahey and Artie Wilson are great and the thing I love about them is that they continually hype up both UH players and players on the opposing teams we're playing.
Neighbor, I know what you're saying but when they say things like:
"the keys to the game is that Hawaii has to score more points than their opponents," or
"Hawaii has to stop the running game."
I feel like I'm talking to some arbitrary fan who had more beers than I did. Because its kind of obvious not really a profound observation. I rather hear things like there's no push on the offensive line or there's a big gap in the middle of the field every time they blitz and there's too much blitzing on the part of the defense. You hear that with opposing team commentators.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Miano always talks about "gap integrity" which just means the players are sucking out there and can't do their assignments

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

I used to work for the Football team. Bobby Curran and John Veneri were never at the practices. Stephen Thai and Robert Kekaula on the other hand used to be there every day. I don't know about now but judging by the comments it seems as if nothing as changed.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:11 pm Miano always talks about "gap integrity" which just means the players are sucking out there and can't do their assignments
That's the kind of stuff I'd rather hear than what the two clowns in the booth say. I gotta say that during the season the BC gotta slightly better and doing his homework but JV might as well be some arbitrary person in the crowd. What I'd like to see is for 1420 to bring in someone from American Samoa to do the color.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I like Veneri, but I don't care for how Curren calls the games. Curren doesn't "paint" a picture for the radio listeners about the weather, environment etc.. and what's going on during the game. It's impossible to get an accurate mental picture of the play being called and developing. Also, Curren doesn't update what the score, quarter or time remaining is until after each quarter. If you just tuned in, you're lost until after the quarter to get any real information.