How Hawaii Can Return To Glory - The ONLY WAY

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Hawaii would score more points and be more successful if they ran the RUN AND SHOOT

Poll ended at Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 am

YES
57%
NO
43%

Total votes: 14

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: How Hawaii Can Return To Glory - The ONLY WAY

Post by WarriorTyme »

Hawaii can return to glory by Matlin changing the name back to Hawaii Warriors and drop that Rainbow. While Rainbow might not effect local Hawaii recruiting as much but it does effect everywhere else i.e Mainland and International to include American Samoa. Rainbow is not meant for a rough gladiator type sport played in a coliseum type environment.

Change all the Mens Sports to Warriors and keep the Rainbow with Lady’s Sports. The Rainbow is the emasculation of Hawaii Mens sports and Men have the right to masculinity just as Women sports have the right to femininity.

It way to early to ask to fire Rolo outright but Rolo needs help to attract better talent and Matlin needs to man up and reach down and squeeze his olos and stand up to those donors that threaten Ben Jay. Those donors money cannot make up for the awful Rainbow Football product since the name change. Hawaii already has recruiting challenges geographically so why make it so much harder to pull in Mainland and international talent.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

Current coach is a Jones product. Nothing to gain removing him.

The problem is the UH administration doesn't value the product "overall". If things stay this way dropping D-1 football is a viable option.

The last game I watched showed a nearly empty stadium. Frankly, even Jones didn't fill the stadium. Tomey and Wagner did but that era is over. As I've said before Jones is not a good person period.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

There is no doubt that these need to be addressed or else 2018 is the repeat of 2017.
New DC
New OC
New LB coach
New QB

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 am There is no doubt that these need to be addressed or else 2018 is the repeat of 2017.
New DC
New OC
New LB coach
New QB
You have to know that our safeties have been toasted. Our middle and seams have been wide open. I would start there and prevent the big plays.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

We know what happens next. Edwards decides to throw the dang ball.

Edwards was never shy about telling folks why BYU’s offense needed to change so dramatically. He realized that they could never recruit enough big, fast players to compete with major programs while playing a similar offensive style (like the popular offensive fronts at the time, the Wishbone, and the Power I). Going to a retro running-focused front didn’t work, and BYU had great success the one year they had a great QB back in 1966, so he decided he should emulate success other private schools, like Stanford and TCU, enjoyed by throwing the dang ball.
https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2017/11/ ... ke-offense

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

If there is one thing that is obvious is the talent level since the Rainbow name change has dropped considerably from the mainland recruits. I heard some here that injuries and players getting kicked off the team is the reason why this team lacks depth talent. But how many June Jones or McMackin teams had injuries and players kick off the team and still had talented depth chart. Especially from the mainland recruits.

The Hawaii can get some of the local recruits no matter what the name is, but there is not enough local legit D1 talent to fill out a complete roster. So Hawaii like many other programs has to rely on outside the home state recruits to find D1 talent. The entire State of Hawaii has a little over 1 million in population and city of Los Angeles has 11 million in population, even a small city like San Antonio has 3.5 million in population. Knowing that there are cities that have way more population which mean more legit D1 talent.

And those 49 other states with bigger populations full of masculine D1 talent don’t share in Hawaii values or even care for the name Rainbow and commit to other MWC schools or go to JC instead. I said this years ago that the name change will lower the overall talent in mainland recruiting. And the losing seasons continue even with coaching changes. We just watch an Utah State team that was picked to go last place in the MWC just man handled a Hawaii Roster with 30 or more players with starting or game experience. Utah State had a freshman QB starting and he was better than everyone on the field.

If Rolo’s coaches voted to keep the Rainbow they will be looking for a new job soon. They can’t recruit enough legit D1 mainland players with the dragging the Rainbow on tow on the recruiting trail. And they need enough legit mainland D-1 talent to execute and improv on busted plays or bad play calls. I know for those wanted the Rainbow the truth hurts and I call what I see, no sugar coating. Hawaii mens sports need to drop the Rainbow and attract more legit mainland talent. I will continue to say it until it gets through those die hard Rainbow for mens sports supporters get a grip. And see that whats best for you the Rainbow nickname supporter may not be best for the future of Hawaii Mens Sports.

I can foresee the BYU coming to Aloha Stadium and blowing out the Rainbows just like Colorado State did.

Go Hawaii Warriors!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Recruiting dynamics have changed quite a bit in various ways. Social media and satellite camps have made it so recruits don't slip through the cracks as much. The Samson Satele's and Isaac Sopoaga's of the world are found and scouted by the time they're 16 years old. That makes life a little harder for UH.

In addition to that, because of the changes to other programs (facilities, stipends, etc.) that have invested, UH has been jumped in recruiting. Remember the days when people got mad cause UH would lose kids to Oregon State and Washington State? Hawaii didn't use to lose Ronley Lakalaka to San Diego State, Kekaula Kaniho to Boise State, etc. Forget the damn P5 and Pac-12, we can't even keep MWC schools away from local kids.

It took time, but you're starting to see the effects of the "nah...we just need a good coach" attitude from the school. Meanwhile, our peers invested, built, and added to their programs every year to the point that recruits are easily swayed to go to the mainland.

Some of these issues we can control, others not. Reality is, the run & shoot used to be a triple option like offense: a system so unique and bizarre that defenses struggled against it because they, frankly...rarely saw it.

Fast forward to 2017, nearly every team utilizes the concepts that gave Hawaii an edge. It's not special anymore, it's not unique. Reality is, there is no magic bullet. I'm bullish on the team in the future cause I think Rolo knows what he is doing, is improving recruiting each year, and Jeremy Moussa is exactly the type of QB UH has lacked since Moniz graduated. This season sucked, but better times are ahead.

BTW, keep in mind, Nick Rolovich makes only $100K a year more than Boise State's DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR makes. We're getting what we paid for.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:52 pm If there is one thing that is obvious is the talent level since the Rainbow name change has dropped considerably from the mainland recruits. I heard some here that injuries and players getting kicked off the team is the reason why this team lacks depth talent. But how many June Jones or McMackin teams had injuries and players kick off the team and still had talented depth chart. Especially from the mainland recruits.

The Hawaii can get some of the local recruits no matter what the name is, but there is not enough local legit D1 talent to fill out a complete roster. So Hawaii like many other programs has to rely on outside the home state recruits to find D1 talent. The entire State of Hawaii has a little over 1 million in population and city of Los Angeles has 11 million in population, even a small city like San Antonio has 3.5 million in population. Knowing that there are cities that have way more population which mean more legit D1 talent.

And those 49 other states with bigger populations full of masculine D1 talent don’t share in Hawaii values or even care for the name Rainbow and commit to other MWC schools or go to JC instead. I said this years ago that the name change will lower the overall talent in mainland recruiting. And the losing seasons continue even with coaching changes. We just watch an Utah State team that was picked to go last place in the MWC just man handled a Hawaii Roster with 30 or more players with starting or game experience. Utah State had a freshman QB starting and he was better than everyone on the field.

If Rolo’s coaches voted to keep the Rainbow they will be looking for a new job soon. They can’t recruit enough legit D1 mainland players with the dragging the Rainbow on tow on the recruiting trail. And they need enough legit mainland D-1 talent to execute and improv on busted plays or bad play calls. I know for those wanted the Rainbow the truth hurts and I call what I see, no sugar coating. Hawaii mens sports need to drop the Rainbow and attract more legit mainland talent. I will continue to say it until it gets through those die hard Rainbow for mens sports supporters get a grip. And see that whats best for you the Rainbow nickname supporter may not be best for the future of Hawaii Mens Sports.

I can foresee the BYU coming to Aloha Stadium and blowing out the Rainbows just like Colorado State did.

Go Hawaii Warriors!
Really? BYU stinks and is obviously lacking confidence. If we can treat that game like our "championship game", that'll give us a much better chance of winning.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

How about this idea? Raise the COA for all scholarship athletes to a level that is higher than all other MWC schools? That would give all the sports a recruiting edge over MWC and the Big West. The total cost would probably be a lot less than jacking up the coaches salary across the board. This way, the coaches get the tools (kind of players) that they need to win.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Didn't a lot of the COA monies come from donations to fund the COA? If the donation pot is only so big, and new donors reluctant or non-existent, then where to find the funding? Robbing Peter to pay Paul and Paulette is not a good idea when UH's overall funding from the State Legislature can't support it.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am Didn't a lot of the COA monies come from donations to fund the COA? If the donation pot is only so big, and new donors reluctant or non-existent, then where to find the funding? Robbing Peter to pay Paul and Paulette is not a good idea when UH's overall funding from the State Legislature can't support it.
We're talking, what? about $250K to raise the scholarship athlete's COA by a thousand? $500K to up it by $2000? UH, itself, can afford that. Still cheaper than giving raising across the board for the coaching staff.. or replacing the Football Staff. The coaching search alone would cost more.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

J-Rod wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm Recruiting dynamics have changed quite a bit in various ways. Social media and satellite camps have made it so recruits don't slip through the cracks as much. The Samson Satele's and Isaac Sopoaga's of the world are found and scouted by the time they're 16 years old. That makes life a little harder for UH.

In addition to that, because of the changes to other programs (facilities, stipends, etc.) that have invested, UH has been jumped in recruiting. Remember the days when people got mad cause UH would lose kids to Oregon State and Washington State? Hawaii didn't use to lose Ronley Lakalaka to San Diego State, Kekaula Kaniho to Boise State, etc. Forget the damn P5 and Pac-12, we can't even keep MWC schools away from local kids.

It took time, but you're starting to see the effects of the "nah...we just need a good coach" attitude from the school. Meanwhile, our peers invested, built, and added to their programs every year to the point that recruits are easily swayed to go to the mainland.

Some of these issues we can control, others not. Reality is, the run & shoot used to be a triple option like offense: a system so unique and bizarre that defenses struggled against it because they, frankly...rarely saw it.

Fast forward to 2017, nearly every team utilizes the concepts that gave Hawaii an edge. It's not special anymore, it's not unique. Reality is, there is no magic bullet. I'm bullish on the team in the future cause I think Rolo knows what he is doing, is improving recruiting each year, and Jeremy Moussa is exactly the type of QB UH has lacked since Moniz graduated. This season sucked, but better times are ahead.

BTW, keep in mind, Nick Rolovich makes only $100K a year more than Boise State's DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR makes. We're getting what we paid for.
This! The real issues with Hawaii go beyond that of the head coach.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

reignjah11 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:30 pm
J-Rod wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm Recruiting dynamics have changed quite a bit in various ways. Social media and satellite camps have made it so recruits don't slip through the cracks as much. The Samson Satele's and Isaac Sopoaga's of the world are found and scouted by the time they're 16 years old. That makes life a little harder for UH.

No head coach can produce a winning program without some quality assistants backing him up. When UH produced winning teams we had really good assistant coaches. I think VonApps, Chow and now Rolo struggled because of that. Remember when Coach Mac left after his first year JJ struggled to get wins. Even with his R&S he needed a good defense especially early in the season when his offense struggled. Wags ran into the same problem when his assistants left. Even coaches like Chris Peterson know how important it is. Just look at the guys he took with him when he left Boise. The problem is at UH if the big teams see a good assistant they will hire him away from here. Without money and it has always been that way. To be honest our state is not giving enough to support a really good football team.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

madeinhawaii wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am
My3Cats wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am Didn't a lot of the COA monies come from donations to fund the COA? If the donation pot is only so big, and new donors reluctant or non-existent, then where to find the funding? Robbing Peter to pay Paul and Paulette is not a good idea when UH's overall funding from the State Legislature can't support it.
We're talking, what? about $250K to raise the scholarship athlete's COA by a thousand? $500K to up it by $2000? UH, itself, can afford that. Still cheaper than giving raising across the board for the coaching staff.. or replacing the Football Staff. The coaching search alone would cost more.
This may be true, but I don't believe that the UH Admin has the balls to fund the COA to that extent. And that's why we suck.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

RedZone wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:45 pm
reignjah11 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:30 pm

No head coach can produce a winning program without some quality assistants backing him up. When UH produced winning teams we had really good assistant coaches. I think VonApps, Chow and now Rolo struggled because of that. Remember when Coach Mac left after his first year JJ struggled to get wins. Even with his R&S he needed a good defense especially early in the season when his offense struggled. Wags ran into the same problem when his assistants left. Even coaches like Chris Peterson know how important it is. Just look at the guys he took with him when he left Boise. The problem is at UH if the big teams see a good assistant they will hire him away from here. Without money and it has always been that way. To be honest our state is not giving enough to support a really good football team.
Yup, had that happen to us last year. Rolo hired Zak Hill to be our offensive coordinator then a couple months later Boise snatched him away from us!