shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: *****official hawaii vs. unlv game thread*****

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:51 am I am sorry to say that Rolovich has not lived up to expectations as a head coach. For me, it is a bitter pill to swallow. I had such hopes for the guy. Still, maybe the suits at UH will keep him around for 5 more years.
Totally agree with what you say but I think why not cut the cord now and pay him for the remaining two years on his contract and get somebody else? After all, didn't we pay McMakin $1.1M? Get somebody that knows how to win and bring back the crowds. It should also increase the national tv revenues if the team starts winning.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:08 pm
SundayJam wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:51 am I am sorry to say that Rolovich has not lived up to expectations as a head coach. For me, it is a bitter pill to swallow. I had such hopes for the guy. Still, maybe the suits at UH will keep him around for 5 more years.
Totally agree with what you say but I think why not cut the cord now and pay him for the remaining two years on his contract and get somebody else? After all, didn't we pay McMakin $1.1M? Get somebody that knows how to win and bring back the crowds. It should also increase the national tv revenues if the team starts winning.
As I have said in the past the next guy could be worse. You don’t get tp pick the next coach and the guy that does picked this one.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

RedZone wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:38 pm
As I have said in the past the next guy could be worse. You don’t get tp pick the next coach and the guy that does picked this one.
Redzone, Agree that the next person could be worse but something has to change. Item 5 of the article below says be open to change. Actually I wish that the current coaching staff would live by the items in the article. IMHO.
https://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/12/7-habit ... ntary.html
At this point UH is just trying to salvage one win out of three games to take them into 2018.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

They shud look at tape from last years bowl game man completely different team. Same guys tho, but man could they score. Think they just forgot how to play the game like how they can

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 am

Redzone, Agree that the next person could be worse but something has to change. Item 5 of the article below says be open to change. Actually I wish that the current coaching staff would live by the items in the article. IMHO.
At this point UH is just trying to salvage one win out of three games to take them into 2018.
When we are only willing to pay the equivalent to the fourth lowest pay in FBS then the next guy will likely be worse. I still think Rolo will be OK. June also had a tough second year. I would like to see some changes in the staff and we'll see if Rolo is willing to do that.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Look how long we had to stick with Chow because we couldn't buy him out. Rolo is tons better than Chow.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 pm

When we are only willing to pay the equivalent to the fourth lowest pay in FBS then the next guy will likely be worse. I still think Rolo will be OK. June also had a tough second year. I would like to see some changes in the staff and we'll see if Rolo is willing to do that.
I believe in doing something if there is a problem. Not doing nothing. June Jones came to Hawaii as a former NFL QB and head coach of the NFL Falcons. Norm Chow came in with the reputation of having coached former Heisman trophy winners so there was hope with both coaches. I see no game time adjustments or game to game adjustments made by UH. I couldn't see a third down conversion play for UH after the third game and I still don't see one. Rolo finally says something after the eight game that they need to get better on third downs. I still don't see a third down conversion play coming in from the bench. You can blame it on Brown, you can blame it on the receivers, you can blame it on the OL but Jones could probably do a better job as head coach to me at this point.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:40 pm
Irse wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 pm

I believe in doing something if there is a problem. Not doing nothing. June Jones came to Hawaii as a former NFL QB and head coach of the NFL Falcons. Norm Chow came in with the reputation of having coached former Heisman trophy winners so there was hope with both coaches. I see no game time adjustments or game to game adjustments made by UH. I couldn't see a third down conversion play for UH after the third game and I still don't see one. Rolo finally says something after the eight game that they need to get better on third downs. I still don't see a third down conversion play coming in from the bench. You can blame it on Brown, you can blame it on the receivers, you can blame it on the OL but Jones could probably do a better job as head coach to me at this point.
I wouldn't doubt that. He was an NFL coach HC, Rolo is a first time HC. We'll have some growing pains with him.
ImageImage

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

I watched briefly the last home game. It's embarrassing to see only a scattered crowd. If they can't fill the stadium with a respectable crowd the should bag the whole enterprise. Sometimes throwing in the towel is smart. These aren't the teams fans loved and attended in the 70s and 80s. Even Jones didn't produce the crowds that existed then. UH administration is responsible for this mess and there won't be any recovery any time soon.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

oldhawaiiguy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 am I watched briefly the last home game. It's embarrassing to see only a scattered crowd. If they can't fill the stadium with a respectable crowd the should bag the whole enterprise. Sometimes throwing in the towel is smart. These aren't the teams fans loved and attended in the 70s and 80s. Even Jones didn't produce the crowds that existed then. UH administration is responsible for this mess and there won't be any recovery any time soon.
Those were the days, huh? Levi Stanley, Cliff Laboy and Jeris White (8 year NFL at 5'9"). No. 2 in the nation?
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 80346.html
When football was special. Now all the local kids you can only cheer for from afar like Hercules Mata'afa. They have shirts saying, "I'm a Mata'afa." That Maui boy is a beast.