Be the boss, not a friend

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Be the boss, not a friend

Post by BigWave96744 »

Coach Rolo, this is why you get paid the big bucks.
The decisions you make may determine your success or failure as the captain of the ship.
If you create or allow close personal ties with your subordinates for any of these reasons, you will struggle as a manager. You won’t be able to make tough but necessary people decisions or evaluate people accurately and give critical but helpful feedback. If you try to stay on good terms with everyone, you’ll make exceptions for individuals that others consider undeserved or unfair. Relationships that are primarily personal can only produce disappointment for your people in the long run and make you much less effective..
If you’re reluctant to discipline or terminate someone because of the harm it might do to your relationship, then your ties to that person will prevent you from doing your job as the boss.
http://fortune.com/2011/01/18/be-the-boss-not-a-friend/

BigWave96744

Re: Be the boss, not a friend

Post by BigWave96744 »

I once had a co-worker who was really close to our group. When he got promoted to be our PM, he stopped going to lunch & Pau Hana outings with us.

He later told us it was hard but it was more important to the company for him to lead and guide the team instead of being our beat friend.
We all respected him for that and felt moving forward it made us a stronger unit

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

So true. Same thing with being a parent.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

OC, DC.... they question is when?

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

May be one of Rolo's hardest responsibilities, to demote friends on his coaching staff. Hard but necessary.
But existing Coordinators should realize by now, that the results speak for themselves.
Coach Elimimian has DC experience and would be an easy adjustment. Coach Stutzman has OC experience in the Spread and Shred, which could also be an easy adjustment.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:33 am May be one of Rolo's hardest responsibilities, to demote friends on his coaching staff. Hard but necessary.
But existing Coordinators should realize by now, that the results speak for themselves.
Coach Elimimian has DC experience and would be an easy adjustment. Coach Stutzman has OC experience in the Spread and Shred, which could also be an easy adjustment.
A switch might help in the play calling and game plan on offense, and maybe by shoring up the middle on defense, but it can't help when receivers drop passes and defenders can't tackle. So much for this year. Winning the last 3 games to become bowl eligible will be most difficult when they can't even win the winnable games so far.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I think that some people were meant to lead a small group of young men like around 10. Some people were meant to lead larger groups of up to a hundred. I'd say Rolo doesn't command the respect of the larger group of young men. They played like scheisse from the beginning of the season. At least there were no more suspensions. Oh wait, they couldn't suspend anymore players because they would forfeit.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 am I think that some people were meant to lead a small group of young men like around 10. Some people were meant to lead larger groups of up to a hundred. I'd say Rolo doesn't command the respect of the larger group of young men. They played like scheisse from the beginning of the season. At least there were no more suspensions. Oh wait, they couldn't suspend anymore players because they would forfeit.
Did you think the same thing last year?
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:58 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 am I think that some people were meant to lead a small group of young men like around 10. Some people were meant to lead larger groups of up to a hundred. I'd say Rolo doesn't command the respect of the larger group of young men. They played like scheisse from the beginning of the season. At least there were no more suspensions. Oh wait, they couldn't suspend anymore players because they would forfeit.
Did you think the same thing last year?
Last year they had a bunch of student leaders like RJ Hollis, Makani Kema-Kaleiwahea and Kory Rasmussen so the lack of head leadership was not visible. This year it was.

Irse

Post by Irse »

They also had a lot more talent. Two of the three guys mentioned were on scholarship at a P5 school. I think that the coaches provide a certain aount of leadership and some needs to come from the team. Just like the drive to excel. The coaches can provide only so much. The rest has to come from the individual to want to excel.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:59 am They also had a lot more talent. Two of the three guys mentioned were on scholarship at a P5 school. I think that the coaches provide a certain aount of leadership and some needs to come from the team. Just like the drive to excel. The coaches can provide only so much. The rest has to come from the individual to want to excel.
What's your guess as to why Fresno State was successful this year under Jeff Tedford? Do you think they will suffer from a sophomore slump like they say Hawaii coaches have been susceptible to next year?

Irse

Post by Irse »

Not necessarily. Tedford has a lot more experience than Rolo. Rolo is learning OTJ. Tedford was a HC at Cal. I do think that Rolo can lead.
ImageImage

tangomike0001
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by tangomike0001 »

as the saying goes, sometimes we have to fall before we can learn to get up (or something like that). bottom line I am hoping that Rolo has learned from this season.

I've spent time trying to figure out exactly what happened to him and the team. the oline struggled with drive killing injuries in the beginning of the season, then they dealt with injuries the rest of the season. the dline we knew was going to be a weakness. seemed like the d coordinator struggled to make adjustments. dru appeared to regress, only playing well after the game was out of hand (defense loosened up?), so his stats didn't look bad, but were worthless. special teams went into the tank. no thoughts on that. offense ran DSJ into the ground. lost ursua (only had 1 receiver that could get separation?). receivers had lots of drops, ran routes that ended just prior to the first down markers. had a coach quit. culminated in playing the hated byu in the finale and there were more fans at the state high school championship than a traditional rival game (even if only Hawaii sees it that way). Tavai thinking about going pro. suspensions throughout the season, rumors of pot smoking, and other bad behavior.

my conclusion is that I don't know that the heck happened and why Rolo couldn't muster our team to a few more wins. only Rolo knows. i'm hoping that it's a scenario that he took a nasty fall and will pick himself up with a tough life lesson and becomes the coach we all think he is/can be.

I don't have any suggestions or advice. all I can say is i'm rooting for you Rolo!!!! do what you got to do.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I think that part of the reason falls on the part of those players who did not take responsibility for their conduct off the field. If there were instances of alleged pot smoking or class attendance issues (not saying that there were any, but just for the sake of argument), then they are taking their athletic scholarships for granted, and could cause them to lose their scholarship. If any of these are the case, to include any other digressions and breaking of team rules, then they deserve to be suspended or kicked off the team. Why would they want to jeopardize their college education just to catch their jollies? Not smart at all.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Was hoping to see a new coach or two by now. Hope some changes happen soon.
ImageImage