reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Re: kekaula

Post by reignjah11 »

Id have Kekaula back on radio with Bobby Curran (I enjoyed that duo back in the day) and have Kanoa and RIch Miano do the tv commentary.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Is there no Aloha for Kekaula? Some pretty cruel jabs are in this post. Anybody remember something call EEO/AAP? How many Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders do we have in Sports broadcasting?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Hey, I like Kekaula. It's just that he sounds like he has two manapuas in his cheeks. Personally, I'd hold the manapuas in my hands whilst eating them.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:46 pm Is there no Aloha for Kekaula? Some pretty cruel jabs are in this post. Anybody remember something call EEO/AAP? How many Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders do we have in Sports broadcasting?
I don't mind Kekaula, but I have my favorites. I like Jim and Kainoa Leahy, also Veneri, Tomey. Miano's okay too he gives good insight too.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 am
shrek2 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:46 pmIs there no Aloha for Kekaula? Some pretty cruel jabs are in this post. Anybody remember something call EEO/AAP? How many Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders do we have in Sports broadcasting?
I don't mind Kekaula, but I have my favorites. I like Jim and Kainoa Leahy, also Veneri, Tomey. Miano's okay too he gives good insight too.
not a fan of kekaula's play-by-play, and it doesn't have anything to do with his race. his greatest strength, by far, is his personality and insight. this makes him a really good color commentator, and also an entertaining sportscaster. for the same reason, I like tomey and the leaheys but would _really_ not want to hear tomey doing play-by-play or the leaheys doing color. to me, they do a really good job at their specific roles, but having them out of position just makes the end-product less good than the potential it could be at.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

"Id have Kekaula back on radio with Bobby Curran (I enjoyed that duo back in the day) "

noooooo can't listen to another one of his "wow.........lau .......lau play of the...........................game"
that annoying slow pausing way of talking is unbearable. and his Hi...hope you're all have a ...........pleasant evening

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 am I gotta say Kekaula on television is better than the two clowns on 1420 radio. He doesn't miss a play like the two radio announcers who people need "live stat" to augment their broadcast. It took them quite a few series before they got the name of the second string QB. Then the play by play doesn't say Brown hands it off to Ryan Tuiasoa, all he says is Tuiasoa with the ball which doesn't indicate whether he got it in a pitch out, handoff or Wildcat. As far as I'm concerned Robert Kekaula is far better than most. Besides, its Chris Berman's trade mark to say, "He... could... go... all.. the.. way." So, you don't like Chris Berman either?
Had to listen to the radio for the first quarter. Same old thing, Bobby doesn't give you enough information to picture what is happening on the field.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Old Diver wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:58 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 am I gotta say Kekaula on television is better than the two clowns on 1420 radio. He doesn't miss a play like the two radio announcers who people need "live stat" to augment their broadcast. It took them quite a few series before they got the name of the second string QB. Then the play by play doesn't say Brown hands it off to Ryan Tuiasoa, all he says is Tuiasoa with the ball which doesn't indicate whether he got it in a pitch out, handoff or Wildcat. As far as I'm concerned Robert Kekaula is far better than most. Besides, its Chris Berman's trade mark to say, "He... could... go... all.. the.. way." So, you don't like Chris Berman either?
Had to listen to the radio for the first quarter. Same old thing, Bobby doesn't give you enough information to picture what is happening on the field.
My favorite play by play was from a local guy sitting in the stands at Aloha Stadium with his family sharing the game on his phone with periscope. Just a regular guy mixing in some wise cracks with some occasional intelligent comments.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

some Fresno fans don’t like Kekaula also

https://247sports.com/college/fresno-st ... -109727272

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm Kainoa Leahy, or Jim Leahy for play-by-play, and Dick Tomey, Miano or Veneri for analyst.
Robert used to do color on the radio which is why he delves into triviality a lot. It has been a struggle for him to play by play but I have gotten used to it. My focus has been more on the game I really don’t hear him speaking. Jim has been the best play by play and can do color at the same time. Kanoa is has shown that he can do it too. Dick Tomey has been my favorite color analyst. Rich does a good job. I am not fond of Veneri he like Robert get caught up in the trivial stuff. I am trying to follow the game.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:32 am some Fresno fans don’t like Kekaula also

But it's funny that a lot of these posters agree that Fresno, and surrounding communities are armpits. I thought that Kekaula's comment was funny at the time, and still do.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:37 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:32 am some Fresno fans don’t like Kekaula also

But it's funny that a lot of these posters agree that Fresno, and surrounding communities are armpits. I thought that Kekaula's comment was funny at the time, and still do.
Yup, Cats you hit it again. Ratest as the dirtiest city in the nation by Forbes, they recommend pregnant women not to drink the water.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/christophe ... 9b61441f52
I don't see land values going up in Fresno. I don't see a mass exodus of people moving anywhere saying they want to move to Fresno. It still is funny to the Bay Area folks.

Hilorains
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hilorains »

What about Felipe ojastro?????

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:00 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:37 pm

Yup, Cats you hit it again. Ratest as the dirtiest city in the nation by Forbes, they recommend pregnant women not to drink the water.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/christophe ... 9b61441f52
I don't see land values going up in Fresno. I don't see a mass exodus of people moving anywhere saying they want to move to Fresno. It still is funny to the Bay Area folks.
LOL - you sure don't hear about Fresno being the "10th Island" for local folks who relocate to the mainland!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Hilorains wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:00 pm What about Felipe ojastro?????
How about just the guy sitting on the sidelines who also does play-by-play for most of the other UH sports too?