Rich Miano for DC

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Rich Miano for DC

Post by go bows »

You are like miano and fail to recognize consequences. What happens if someone is seriously injured at his camp without the proper insurance?

Miano is all about miano. =;

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

go bows wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm You are like miano and fail to recognize consequences. What happens if someone is seriously injured at his camp without the proper insurance?

I agree. Good self promoter.
Rolo coached with him on Mac's staff so there must be a reason he's not on the staff.
ImageImage

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

Irse wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:05 am
go bows wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm You are like miano and fail to recognize consequences. What happens if someone is seriously injured at his camp without the proper insurance?

I agree. Good self promoter.
Rolo coached with him on Mac's staff so there must be a reason he's not on the staff.
Touche -- if miano divested all of his outside activities to show he is 100 per cent committed to UH then miano would be a good hire.

Greedy dude.

Hiloman
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Hiloman »

Old Diver wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:02 pm
cabanalane wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:19 pm Miano got a huge ego. They passed on him, when he felt he was in-line for the HC job. I'm sure he felt he earned it.

Miano is not going to come in, to make Rolo better.

If Rolo is fired, you can bet Miano's resume will be already "typed" up.
You have no idea what makes Miano tick. Rich bleeds green and would do anything to help Rolovich win and that includes taking a coaching position under him. People who don’t know Rich mistake ego for confidence. Show me a successful coach and I’ll show you an over abundance of confidence. It’s time the “I Hate Rich Miano Club” put aside their insecurities and join Rich in supporting the program.
I agree with you. He is confident but not arrogant. He helped my friend from Iolani with no strings attached who didn't even play college football. He became a principal and then a professor at UH.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

amela wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 pmCal Lee!
Actually this is one coach I have grown to admire. His defenses at St Louis have been amazing. I was really impressed with the way they played Kahuku.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Miano was DC with Lumpkin when Mac left. They did not do well. So JJ went and got Jerry.

Irse

Post by Irse »

RedZone wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:51 pm Miano was DC with Lumpkin when Mac left. They did not do well. So JJ went and got Jerry.
True. Plus Mac's specialty was DBs. When he was DC, he had to work closely with Miano. When he became HC, he did not pick Miano to be his DC. He picked Cal Lee then he had Aranda become his DC. He must not have been that impressed with MIano. That's just a guess though.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm
RedZone wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:51 pm Miano was DC with Lumpkin when Mac left. They did not do well. So JJ went and got Jerry.
True. Plus Mac's specialty was DBs. When he was DC, he had to work closely with Miano. When he became HC, he did not pick Miano to be his DC. He picked Cal Lee then he had Aranda become his DC. He must not have been that impressed with MIano. That's just a guess though.
Coach Mac had a good eye for talent. That is how we ended up with Aranda. I was hoping that Aranda would have gotten a chance at the HC job. I thought Chow was nuts to let him go.

Irse

Post by Irse »

RedZone wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 pm
Coach Mac had a good eye for talent. That is how we ended up with Aranda. I was hoping that Aranda would have gotten a chance at the HC job. I thought Chow was nuts to let him go.
No doubt about that.

Yes, Chow should have kept Aranda but it has worked out well for him. Probably even better than if he had stayed. I may be drawing a blank right now but I can't think of anyone on Chow's staff who went on to bigger and better things after leaving UH.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

One other thing. I'm not too sure if I would be comfortable with a guy that competed for me for a job then hiring him for a position of importance that may result in him getting the job if I got fired.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Irse wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:00 am
RedZone wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 pm

No doubt about that.

Yes, Chow should have kept Aranda but it has worked out well for him. Probably even better than if he had stayed. I may be drawing a blank right now but I can't think of anyone on Chow's staff who went on to bigger and better things after leaving UH.
Kinda hard to go on to bigger and better things when your head coach gets fired and you lose your job. Aranda and Rolo got lucky, and have improved their stock after not being retained by Chow. If they had stayed and lost their jobs it is possible that they would not be heard from again. Just look back at Von Appen's staff. I haven't heard of any of them since then.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

All I hear from people that know Miano personally is that the guy will do anything to help the program. He's a proven recruiter and would help a team that had zero local recruits last year. when he was DB coach his units always made plays. Think of all the great Safeties we had over the years when he was DB coach. Some were even walk-ons or converted from other positions but they always had an impact on the game. I know Rolo has his reasons for not wanting Rich on the staff but from what you can see from the outside those reasons do not seem to be football-related... but right now the football reasons are the ones that count the most. If your team can't stop anyone it doesn't matter if someone on your staff wants your job because you won't have a job for very long anyway.

it has become clear that some changes need to be made on the staff. Some for scheme reasons and some for recruiting reasons (maybe both for some). If Rolo is willing to make these changes, it will say a lot about his ability to do the job and be the head coach we need. I know that JJ stuck with his guys (to a fault sometimes) but his staff also had a great amount of experience and wisdom at the very least. Rolo needs at least a couple of guys who aren't in their first FBS job and maybe at least 40 years old to balance things out. Maybe if Miano really does want his job it would be wise to hire him to keep Rolo focused on the things to make sure that his job is never in jeopardy in the first place. Our current roster of DBs are too good to be playing this bad.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

That, or Miano didn't have a desire to be DC. He was DB coach, walk-on program coordinator, NFL Liaison, and I think Associate HC at the time that Aranda was picked for DC.

Even when he was co-DC with Lumpkin he deferred to Lumpkin I think, and they were only picked to be DC because JJ had no other DC he was interested in hiring after Kevin Lempa left (not Mac). The story we've heard is that Jerry Glanville reached out to JJ to ask about coaching college in general, which caused JJ to offer Glanville the DC job. No other names were mentioned as potential replacements for Lumpkin/Miano that I can remember. I think if Glanville doesn't call, JJ was ready to roll with with Lumpkin/Miano for at least one more season. They actually did alright in the later part of 2004 when they simplified the scheme a bit and players like Kevin Jackson (and Tony Akpan!) started to make plays.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:19 pm Miano got a huge ego. They passed on him, when he felt he was in-line for the HC job. I'm sure he felt he earned it.

Miano is not going to come in, to make Rolo better.

If Rolo is fired, you can bet Miano's resume will be already "typed" up.
what's wrong with that? if Rolo gets fired that's on Rolo. The goal is to do things like have a good defense so you don't get fired.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

go bows wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 pm
Old Diver wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 am
go bows wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 am Miano always likes to for methods to bending rules/regulations.

Dangerous hire since you must continually monitor. Plus RM is more concerned about those speed and quickness and football camps that are very profitable.

UH is just cover to enrich his other endeavors.
Can you please give us a specific example of this? Miano has never been charged or even implied with bending NCAA rules or regulations. Stop making up fake news. As for high school can you name me a top ten team in the local high school rankings which doesn't recruit or have transfer players? The "I Hate Rich Miano Club" is only exceeded in membership by the "I Hate June Jones Club." These are two coaches have sacrificed a thousand times more for the program than their detractors. What have you done lately for the program. That's what I thought.
Utilizing UH facilities for speed and quickness camp without paying a rental fee. Failing to pay taxes for his "non profit."

Utilizing the Kaiser name for his carnival despite being warned by the principal.
What do those things have to do with being a successful assistant coach at the FBS level? Even if he was using UH facilities for HSQ, that camp is a great way to build relationships with potential recruits and get them on campus. His "style" may have rubbed people the wrong way at the HS level but there were no complaints about anything he was doing when he was June Jones' DB coach and one of the main recruiters for the program.