Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Cole McDonald

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Sorry Palolo, just didn't see any awkward running, even went back to watch the replay. Maybe because he's so quick at 6'-4", but that 58 yard run looked fine to me, how he outran the UCLA defense, (even if it wasn't UCLA's starters.) He even shifted the ball to his right side to protect the ball from defenders on his left.

I like his potential as a Dual Threat QB and personally would like to see him get more opportunities to develop with more reps.
[/quote]

He's def hunched a little and ran like a chicken w/out a head with a loaf in his hands. First hand account.

He's not the answer at QB this yr. As soon as he broke free, i stated to all my jiu jitsu friends tthat UH fams will want him to start. #foolsgold
Last edited by Palolo_2LA on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

You don't run for 1,000+ yards in HS unless you are a runner and you have some speed. When you run for 1,000+ yards you are getting clocked. So he is also tough. By all accounts the dude can run.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Cole ran like a new improved Shawn Witty Allen! You can't stop SWA, you can only hope to contain him.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

TheDuke wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 am You don't run for 1,000+ yards in HS unless you are a runner and you have some speed. When you run for 1,000+ yards you are getting clocked. So he is also tough. By all accounts the dude can run.
In today's game 1k rushing in HS isnt an indicator thst it will translate. College is all the stsrs from HS and he's not the caliber of a Watson or Jackson...not even close. Effective QB runners need to b shifty, juke and read the D...speed doesnt guarantee success if it did all the track guys would be QBs.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Cole competed in track in HS, ran the 100, 200 and relays, so the bugga is trained in proper running form.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

1000+ yards for a RB isn't an issue. 1000+ yards rushing for a QB is not the norm. There aren't that many QBs in college ball that ran for 500 yards in HS let alone 1000 yards.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Tua Tagovailoa rushed for 727 yards

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

Brother is too heavy. Rolo is seeking another Colin Kaepernick which CM body wise initially looked like.

Currently too heavy to be a successful college qb.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Include pass plays in personnel packages with Cole at QB.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Its tough enough for any kid coming over from the mainland to go to school in Hawaii. No doubt its tough on everyone leaving their home state to go to another state for school. I say we give some aloha to a key athlete on the UH squad since they have to endure the long hours of physical workouts along with studies. Cole McDonald is one of the few athletes that actually ran track competitively on the UH team. He's faster than Mariota and has the potential to be a better passer given the opportunity.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Too bad that Wyoming had an answer for Cole at the wildcat position. I agree with Duster that there should be some pass plays mixed in at some point in the future for him, otherwise the defenses will automatically know that he is in for a running play.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:30 am Its tough enough for any kid coming over from the mainland to go to school in Hawaii. No doubt its tough on everyone leaving their home state to go to another state for school. I say we give some aloha to a key athlete on the UH squad since they have to endure the long hours of physical workouts along with studies. Cole McDonald is one of the few athletes that actually ran track competitively on the UH team. He's faster than Mariota and has the potential to be a better passer given the opportunity.
Mariota ran a 4.52 electronically timed 40 at the NFL combine. He also ran a sub 4.5 40 in college (4.48). I doubt Cole is faster than that. Mariota is also one of the most accurate passers in the NFL, and also was super accurate in college. McDonald is no where near Mariota in talent. Mariota started as a redshirt freshman at Oregon, and went on to win the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Award.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Mariota was supposedly a 4.6, three star recruit coming out of high school. After his first redshirt season, there were rumors of him transferring to Washington. Now he's a God in Oregon. He was lucky because the pistol that they ran at Oregon had a vacated QB spot. Cole came to Hawaii late last year and Dru Brown had the position after he proved himself to be a more accurate passer than Ikaika. At this point, I am so glad that Cole decided to come to Hawaii instead of opting for another school.

I liked the ESPN announcers, they did not miss any of the Hawaii players as possible NFL prospects and praising them for their play. I think we gotta feel good that Josh Allen, the supposedly first round draft pick of the NFL, was held to under 100 yards. The DBs played a physical game against their receivers, right up on the line almost every play. There were some bad calls with the tackle out of bounds twice. Those were not selfish penalties. Also the pick play called on Tui Unga, he was actually pushed into the other DB by the DB that was covering him. Overall, I like Hawaii's play over Wyoming way better than when they played UCLA.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 am Too bad that Wyoming had an answer for Cole at the wildcat position. I agree with Duster that there should be some pass plays mixed in at some point in the future for him, otherwise the defenses will automatically know that he is in for a running play.
Especially the last play he was in, in the fourth quarter. Everybody could see that it was the run option. If they would have given him the opportunity to spring a pass during that play they would not have gone into overtime. But every single play was a run option so the defense only keyed on the running back or him. What a waste of a play in the fourth quarter after you had shown the same play multiple times. Blame it on the offensive coaching, not him.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

With St. Juste running so well, it looks like we will be a run first offense. If so I would like to see Cole McDonald gettting more if not starting at QB.

ALL of our receivers were getting wide open last night but Dru over or under threw a ton. Should have had easily had 2 more TDs .

How much longer are we having to endure this when Cole comes in and throws a TD on his only pass?