Head coach Robyn Ah Mow-Santos-New article by Volleyball Mag.com

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Head coach Robyn Ah Mow-Santos-New article by Volleyball Mag.com

Post by seasider »

https://volleyballmag.com/ahmow-santos-063017/

Ah Mow-Santos: “I love Hawai’i volleyball, I know what it stands for”
By Lee Feinswog -
June 30, 2017
Click on the above link to read the full article by Lee Feinswog.

A great hire by the University of Hawaii’s Athletic Director.

Definitely Robyn has the knowledge, the skill set, and the temperament to be successful as the Wahine’ head coach. But, the KEY (ask any coach—no matter the sports, football, baseball, basketball or volleyball) Robyn and her staff must be successful, perennially, signing their share of PrepVolleyball’s top-100 Senior Aces so the Wahine’ program can continue to be perennially a top 10 (or top 20 on off years) program.

No ifs or buts, Robyn has a tough road to hoe taking over a program built by a volleyball legend. But, no pun intended to Ferd Lewis, no coach is irreplaceable, i.e. Ferd Lewis article Ah Mow-Santos to replace Shoji as Wahine volleyball coach.

Bottom-line, many have said, coach Shoji’s last NCAA Tournament win was 1987; but, then again many volleyball aficionados have also said, the Wahine would’ve had more Final Four appearances if it was not for the Selection Committee’s bias towards the PAC 12, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, and the Southeast Conference. For coach Robyn Ah Mow-Santos, expect more of the same from the NCAA Selection Committee.

http://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2017/2/ ... coach.aspx
Shoji announces Retirement; Ah Mow-Santos named new women’s volleyball coach

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/02/2 ... book-life/
Ah Mow-Santos can thank Shoji for her storybook life
By Dave Reardon

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/02/2 ... all-coach/
Ah Mow-Santos to replace Shoji as Wahine volleyball coach
By Ferd Lewis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn_Ah_Mow-Santos
Professional and Olympic career

She started to do some international competition with the USA national team in 1999, setting in seven games at the NORCECA championships and playing in 13 sets at the World Cup. In 2000, she played in four sets of the Nike Americas’ Volleyball Challenge, helping Team USA qualify for the 2000 Sydney Olympics. She set the team to victories over no. 4 China, no. 5 Korea and no. 7 Japan at the Grand Prix. At the 2000 Olympic Games, she started all seven matches and led the team to a .263 hitting percentage and a fourth-place finish. In 2001, she earned Most Valuable Player honors at the World Championship Qualification Tournament and was also named the "Best Setter" at the NORCECA Zone Championships and played professionally for Castelo de Maia in Portugal.

At the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, she was the starter and the team that finished tied for fifth overall after losing to Brazil in the quarterfinals.
In her career, she has set for team USA at the World Grand Prix, the Pan American Cup, NORCECA, the Olympics, the FIVB world cup as well as numerous exhibition tours. More recently, she has set some matches for team USA in their 2008 exhibition pre-Olympic game matches.
Robyn made her third Olympic appearance at the 2008 Summer Olympics, helping Team USA to a silver medal.

Individual awards
2001 FIVB World Grand Prix "Best Setter"
2001 NORCECA Championship "Best Setter"
2003 NORCECA Championship "Best Setter"
2006 Pan-American Cup "Best Setter"

https://prepvolleyball.com/articles/fea ... antos/7934
The Greats Among Us: Robyn Ah Mow-Santos
By John Tawa, May 9, 2013

Great article on Robyn by PrepVolleyball.com

You need to be a digital subscriber to PrepVolleyball.com ($25.00 per annually) to open the above link

Excerpts from the above link: Ah Mow-Santos was thrown right into the proverbial club coaching fire. Some 100 girls showed up just for the 17s tryout.
“To have about 100 girls come out from Oahu, that’s huge numbers,” says Imi ‘Ike club director Kaleo Baxter, who also coaches with Ah-Mow Santos at UH as a volunteer assistant. “We didn’t go out and steal kids from other clubs. We just held a tryout by word of mouth and people came to the tryout. It was kind of crazy.”
Imi ‘Ike outside hitter McKenna Granato says Ah Mow-Santos’ presence likely had a lot to do with the huge turnout.

More excerpts from the above link: Fellow Olympian Stacy Sykora notes Ah Mow-Santos was already gearing up for her coaching career while wearing a Team USA jersey.
“While she was playing she was coaching a lot of us and helping us with small improvements that in the end made us all better players and also better teammates,” she says. “What makes her a good coach is her natural knowledge and feel for the game. She does not expect or want you to expect imperfection. She is an amazing setter, teammate and person so I can guarantee she is an amazing coach.”

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/04/0 ... ow-wahine/

Ah Mow-Santos starts work with Rainbow Wahine
By Cindy Luis
April 4, 2017

To open the above link you need to be a StarAdvertiser print/replica subscriber ($75.00 per annum)
Excerpts from the above link:
“I had mixed emotions,” said setter Norene Iosia, who started as a freshman under now-retired Hall of Fame coach Dave Shoji last season. “I was excited but also nervous. It was very intimidating … but it’s a good intimidation.
“She’s here to get stuff done — you can tell it in her face, how she carries herself. She is here for a purpose, and that’s to make us better, to make us win. The first practice was kind of a wake-up call for me.”

Excerpts from the Coach:
“Today was what I thought it was going to be. It’s about finding a gym culture and discipline. The first think I told them was all I wanted from them was to give me 100 percent. If you give me that, then I’ll give you whatever I got. But if you come in and you give less than that, then you’ll get less or you sit on the side or you get cut.”
Last edited by seasider on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LoveTheDig
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Head coach Robyn Ah Mow-Santos

Post by LoveTheDig »

seasider, you seem to be the resident vb freak lol.
Robyn I've known for a long time. We used to play jrs ball together in those Kamali'i days; she was 12yo.

It's going to be a tough sell for her. She's an all-world type of player but that doesn't necessarily equate to being a good coach. Sykora's message about not expecting perfection, however close, is a bit disheartening as well.

Communication needs to be effective for her and the team to do well.

I'm not saying that the administration set her up for failure because I think that it's the opposite. She could just be keeping that bench seat warm for some other coach heading down the pike.

LoveTheDig
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by LoveTheDig »

also, Robyn still has to hire another coach of her own imo. Does anyone know which assistant interim has been hired? Who replaced Baxter as Volunteer?

My guess is that Hall ends up coaching his last season (2017) as Associate Coach moreover.

Do think too that the Beach VB team will fall just a little short this 2017, also.

LoveTheDig
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by LoveTheDig »

LBS BG Grad $chool Ryann Chandler would make things that much more difficult for my friend Robyn also.

LoveTheDig
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by LoveTheDig »

April Fools. UH had everybody lol.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

LoveTheDig
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by LoveTheDig »

None-the-less, Baxter should be let go. A return to DOVO wouldn't work for him either. He's merely a replacement/sub, sorry to say. He fled earlier to Irvine--his mistake.

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

University of Hawai'i women's volleyball head coach Robyn Ah Mow-Santos announced the hiring of Angelica Ljungqvist – her former Rainbow Wahine teammate – as assistant coach. In addition, current assistant Kaleo Baxter will remain with the program on Ah Mow-Santos' inaugural staff.

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/news/201 ... ath=wvball