2014 Judo Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Mr.Gi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2014 Judo Season

Post by Mr.Gi »

Judo season is upon us....with so much rule changes, i dislike how judo matches are now being left in the hands of the referees..throw dat aside, I was able to check out the first preseaon meet of the year. It was the annual Mililani Invitational and right off the bat, Kapolei Hurricanes have to be the odds on favorite to win OIA and States for boys..dey have a very talented group dat hammered Moanalua..it wasnt even close...embarrassing to say the least...can Moanalua rebound?...coach Brandon and staff have a lot of work to do.. Pearl City was very vocal with tremendous support for each other....they surely reloaded with numbers this year for sure...speaking of Pearl City, their girls team has to be favorite to win it all..with a full line up plus many of them coming off of the wrestling team, they are my favorite to win OIA and States..

ippon sode made
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2014 Judo Season

Post by ippon sode made »

Saturday will be the novice open tournament at Pearl City High school.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I hadn't paid much attention until last year. I still don't like how interscholastic judo has evolved such that yuko throws in the past are adjudged to merit ippon. It seems pretty watered down.

ippon sode made
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Rules have changed this year. Throws will be scored as they contact the mat, no more rolling ippon. Also rules have forced players to engage and fight IJF wants to see big throws. Over grip fighting and breaking opponents grips without attacking will result in penalties. Rules will make the pace of the matches better but on the flip side we will see a lot of penalties.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

I've watched some high school judo. The referees are ridiculous. It's the only sport that has three official referees watching two competitors and some imperious rotund dude can come over from somewhere else, and overrule all of them based on his whim. And it seems like some referees are always right, no matter WHERE they are placed on the mat, or next to the scorers table, than those in better positions to make calls or even who are assigned to actually ref the match. A lot of times it seems like high school judo is more about the egos and political perspectives of the referees than it is about the kids and their hard work. Also, I keep on hearing that referees are refereeing matches of kids associated with the referees' own private clubs. I get that some of the referees would ENJOY making or seeing a kid or coach commit hara kiri right there on the mat upon their "order". But, this isn't about the referees' enjoyment, ego gratification, or "judo politics" imperatives. This is a high school sport. RESPECT the kids and coaches and the efforts they put in, referees. The ability to bow convincingly entitles you to NOTHING.

Mr.Gi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mr.Gi »

Was able to catch this past weekend novice/open tournament at Pearl City. Not much to report as novice players did their thing but in the open division I noticed Kapolei and Pearl City resting their top players while Moanalua after last weeks poor performance had what appears to be their starting line up playing. Noticed they were all business as coach Maki had them warming up all the way till the start of the tournament. They performed much better this week. We will see if they get on track before OIA's and States. Still not liking the new judo rule changes..Now the start of the boring Dual Meet season as a lot of the teams don't have a lot of players so forfeit galore..

Bula'ia Hawaiian
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bula'ia Hawaiian »

did anyone else notice that Bryson Castro is playing for Farrington? its good to see him back, even though he's been out of this sport for about 4 years he looked great. minus his cardio, but still a excellent judoka.

Mr.Gi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mr.Gi »

Bula'ia Hawaiian wrote:did anyone else notice that Bryson Castro is playing for Farrington? its good to see him back, even though he's been out of this sport for about 4 years he looked great. minus his cardio, but still a excellent judoka.
Yes I noticed Bryson as well..didnt he sit out last year after winning a state title da previous year..great galrnt and which ever weight class he competes in, he will surely be a top contender..

ippon sode made
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

West tourney Kapiolei
East Farrington

dennishall
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dennishall »

sorry but i don't have any interest in it..

click through the following web site
Last edited by dennishall on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ippon sode made
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

East tournament is at Castle West is at Campbell. Not sure about ILH.

Ramashack
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Ramashack »

ILH is at Maryknoll Friday night. Saturday will have JV & Intermediate.

ippon sode made
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Went to watch the west division and there were a lot of bad calls. Some of the refs should start at the local tournament first! Calling throws where the guy lands on his stomach ippon, crazy.

lowkey
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lowkey »

Predictions anyone?

ippon sode made
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Girls Pearl City