2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by wrestling808 »

halaokolele wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:
What weight class do you see Jaramillo competing in and who do you think will be her main competition?
It will all depend on Alo where she goes others will move!

140 I think it will be Pa'aina no one wants to go out by getting pinned in the finals. Although her style can often be labeled as boring she does have enough to get to the finals. After watching westerns Peralta will make a difference just over powering her competition she will create serious problems for this weight class, a great performance at officals will get her seeded in the top two at states.
If what you're saying is spot on, then we could have a 4 horse race between Hernandez, Paaaina, Jaramillo and Peralta.
3 state champions and 1 freshman. Someones gonna blink and change weight class. Of the 3 champions I like Jaramillo. She's feisty and strong. I don't know anything about Peralta so officials will be telling.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="wrestling808"][quote="halaokolele"][quote="wrestling808"]

What weight class do you see Jaramillo competing in and who do you think will be her main competition?[/quote]

It will all depend on Alo where she goes others will move!

140 I think it will be Pa'aina no one wants to go out by getting pinned in the finals. Although her style can often be labeled as boring she does have enough to get to the finals. After watching westerns Peralta will make a difference just over powering her competition she will create serious problems for this weight class, a great performance at officals will get her seeded in the top two at states.[/quote]

If what you're saying is spot on, then we could have a 4 horse race between Hernandez, Paaaina, Jaramillo and Peralta.
3 state champions and 1 freshman. Someones gonna blink and change weight class. Of the 3 champions I like Jaramillo. She's feisty and strong. I don't know anything about Peralta so officials will be telling.[/quote]

Pa'aina vs Hernandez last year was not even close, Pa'aina was head and shoulder above Hernandez and I believed pinned her early a couple of times. I agree with you Jaramillo is very strong and feisty! If the lights don't get to bright for Peralta she will create havoc.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Predictions for Officials next week:

106 Pagurayan (KPO) over ???
113 Terukina (KSK) over Pagurayan (KPO)
120 Balagso (LAH) over Illaban (KPO)
126 Diamond (MIL) over Ursua (PC)
132 Terao (PAC-5) over Diamond (MIL)
138 Akeo (MIL) over Chism (LAH)
145 Jaramillo (LAH) over Corbitt (RAD)
152 Solomon (KLH) over ???
160 Cooper (PC) over ???
170 Hoshino (KSK) over Williams (CAS)
182 Williams (CAS) over Kiehm(IOL)
195 Wiseman (KPO) over ???
220 Mataafa (LAH) over Furuta (MIL)
285 Tia (CAM) over Mowat (LAH)

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

talloola25 wrote:Predictions for Officials next week:

106 Pagurayan (KPO) over ???
113 Terukina (KSK) over Pagurayan (KPO)
120 Balagso (LAH) over Illaban (KPO)
126 Diamond (MIL) over Ursua (PC)
132 Terao (PAC-5) over Diamond (MIL)
138 Akeo (MIL) over Chism (LAH)
145 Jaramillo (LAH) over Corbitt (RAD)
152 Solomon (KLH) over ???
160 Cooper (PC) over ???
170 Hoshino (KSK) over Williams (CAS)
182 Williams (CAS) over Kiehm(IOL)
195 Wiseman (KPO) over ???
220 Mataafa (LAH) over Furuta (MIL)
285 Tia (CAM) over Mowat (LAH)
I would put Crimmins from Punahou in the list.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

Speaking of Punahou, Yoshi Honda is the coach. Since he's had Iolani experience, will Infidel like him? Infidel is a former user that loves Iolani but hates Punahou. And will Yoshi keep Punahou's success going?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Who would you put Crimmins over then? Chism, Corbitt, who?

justwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justwrestle »

Right now crimmins only chance at getting on the list is at 138 if he is on chisms side, I don't see him coming close to Akeo at 138 or Jamrillio at 145. He might have a closer match with Corbett but I still say he dosnt make it.

TwoCents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TwoCents »

Some forgotten light weight Officials potentials (guessing weights):

zac wigzell (lahaina) - 106
nagatani, cabanban (campbell) - 106
cabanban (st louis) 106
aragon (moanaloa) - 106
chance ikei (kaiser) - 113
josten saribay (maui?) - 113
jordan ng (iolani) - 120
thomas stevenson (baldwin) - 138
pascua (iolani) - 138
cole chandler (was kaiser, ILH?) - 120 to 130+ range
nativadad (campbell) - 120 to 130+ range

106 has no returning placers so I kind of threw some names out there. Dropping to 106 from 108 this year makes it even more of a first year high school wrestler state champ weight class. It's hard to stay that small past freshman year or even middle school. But still the best chance to be a multi-year champion.

Nice predictions talloola25. Above could be the list of 3rd place final matches. Lets see some other opinions. Still way early but fun to speculate. Girls finishes just to round it out?

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

Forgot about chandler and I heard wigzell is wrestling for centennial hs in idaho and may not transfer to lahainaluna. Pascua is legit and will be a tough out in the ILH division. I actually would take him over Crimmins and Mitsunaga from pac 5 if their at 138.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="TwoCents"]Some forgotten light weight Officials potentials (guessing weights):

zac wigzell (lahaina) - 106
nagatani, cabanban (campbell) - 106
cabanban (st louis) 106
aragon (moanaloa) - 106
chance ikei (kaiser) - 113
josten saribay (maui?) - 113
jordan ng (iolani) - 120
thomas stevenson (baldwin) - 138
pascua (iolani) - 138
cole chandler (was kaiser, ILH?) - 120 to 130+ range
nativadad (campbell) - 120 to 130+ range

106 has no returning placers so I kind of threw some names out there. Dropping to 106 from 108 this year makes it even more of a first year high school wrestler state champ weight class. It's hard to stay that small past freshman year or even middle school. But still the best chance to be a multi-year champion.

Nice predictions talloola25. Above could be the list of 3rd place final matches. Lets see some other opinions. Still way early but fun to speculate. Girls finishes just to round it out?[/quote]

Heard Wigzel is out also forgot about the Paguryan boys as they both passed up ninth grade to develop and retook their homeschooling for 8th. If either qualified for 106 they will be tough unless tne cut takes to much put of them. Nagatani has no chance giving up way to much weight, cant seem him cracking the starting line up. Cabanban has the skill just needds the drive. Ikei will be in shape but lacks skill when matched up with the elite two or three. Lets see if Iolanis young guns an make a difference

MauiSun
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MauiSun »

Maui News reported that Hercules Mataafa not wrestling for the Lunas this year.

bloodred
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bloodred »

Quote from today's Maui News

Mataafa, a fellow defensive lineman for the Lunas, has football scholarship offers from Oregon State, San Diego State, Washington State and New Mexico State and is not wrestling this year to concentrate on getting stronger for football.

"If he wants to be a football player, he has to focus on that,"

bloodred
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bloodred »

Garner Ivey Maui Invitational

Weight classes to watch

Boys

120-Four state-placers will battle at this weight, including three from the MIL: Christian Balagso of Lahainaluna (second at 108), Josten Saribay of King Kekaulike (fifth at 108), Jahfrey Akina of Baldwin (fifth at 108 in 2012) and Jake Nakasone of Iolani (fourth at 114).

130-This is the deepest weight class. Josh Terao, a three-time state champion and national champion from Mid-Pacific, is one of the top wrestlers in the country and the defending state champion at 130. Brayden Akeo of Mililani was the state champion at 125 while Wyatt Chism of Lahainaluna was the runner-up at 135.

152-This weight has three state-placers returning: Jacob Solomon of Kalaheo (third at 145), Alec Conner of Kaiser (sixth at 152) and Hunter Dehlin of Liberty (third at 152 in Oregon 5A).

Girls

109-Defending state champion Aarica Barcina of Kahuku is the favorite and Kelly Rivera of Mililani (third at 105) is another top contender.

121-Returning state champion Angela Lee of Mililani is the favorite, but two Pearl City girls could challenge: Joen Tominaga (third at 117) and Asia Evans, who lost to Lee in the state finals.

Note-The 10 returning state champions are the most in Garner Ivey tournament history. Among them are three from Lahainaluna: Carly Jaramillo (140), Bubba Jaramillo (145) and Lalelei Mataafa (220) and three from Pearl City: Breanne Takaesu, (105), Alex Ursua, (126) and Blake Cooper (160). Ursua wrestled for University last year.

bloodred
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bloodred »

WRESTLING

GARNER IVEY MAUI INVITATIONAL

At War Memorial Gym

Friday's first-day team results

Boys

1. Lahainaluna 104; 2. Waianae 83; 3. Pac-Five 79; 4 (tie). Iolani and Mililani 73; 6. Liberty (Ore.)?71; 7. Baldwin 69; 8. Pearl City 61 1/2; 9. King Kekaulike 37; 10. Kaiser 36; 11. Kalaheo 31; 12. Kamehameha Maui 30; 13. Lanai 25 1/2; 14 (tie). Damien and Maui 20; 16. Hawaii Prep 18; 17. Kealakehe 16; 18. Hana 11; 19. Molokai 7 1/2; 20. Kahuku 7.

Girls

1. Waianae 52; 2. Lahainaluna 33; 3. Pearl City 26; 4. Pac-Five 25; 5. Molokai 21; 6. Mililani 14; 7. Baldwin 13; 8. Maui High 9; 9 (tie). Castle, Kahuku, Kalaheo, Lanai 7; 13 (tie). Damien, Iolani, Kealakehe, King Kekaulike 6.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Alright, in the finals at 138 will be Terao vs.. Akeo.