2012 High School Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Lefty_VI
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2012 High School Cross Country

Post by Lefty_VI »

With the upcoming XC season about to start it's time to start the discussion for another year.

On the boys side, seven of the top ten finishers from last year have graduated. Teamwise, Leilehua will probably be the early season favorites to defend their crown.

On the girls side, only two of the top ten from last year have graduated. So I'm assuming there will be a lot of familiar faces in the top ten. Punahou had one senior on the team and HPA has all seven varsity runners returning. With the race being held on the HPA campus, I'd have to give the early season nod to Ka Makani to defend their crown; but Punahou still has a deeper team so it'll all come down to race day.

Please remember that a lot of the kids read these forums!

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2012 High School Cross Country

Post by OIAcoach »

I think the Punahou boys is the team to beat. They return almost everyone. Leilehua graduated alot of runners and didn't have much of a JV program to replace them.

As for the girls I hope HPA stays DI. Would be nice to see a HPA vs Punahou rematch. Although there is one race, it wouldn't be the same if they were going for two different trophies.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

So how does the D1 D2 work? Is there different races for the 2 divisions......

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

Teams will declare DI or DII at the beginning of the season (OIA is all DI). At the state meet we all run one race and whoevers DI goes for one trophy and whoevers DII goes for the other. Just like meets in the past there should only be a hand full of DII teams.

Lefty_VI
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Lefty_VI »

Big dog has put out a top 20 for the boys:

http://waynejoseph.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... /#comments

Con
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Con »

Lefty_VI wrote:Please remember that a lot of the kids read these forums!
Thank you, Lefty!

welshrarebit
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by welshrarebit »

Does anyone have any information about who is going to be DII this year?

I'm also curious about which teams are going to be running at HPA, Sept. 29th. The Punahou Invitational is also that weekend. The HPA course is brutal not just because you have to run up that big hill twice but the course is at 2500 ft. elevation.

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

DII Schools
ILH – Assets, Christian Academy, Hanalani, HBA, Honolulu Waldorf, IPA, La Pietra, Lanakila Baptist, Lutheran, Pacific Buddhist, St. Andrews Priory, St. Francis, University High.
BIIF – Christian Liberty, HPA (Boys), Honokaa, Hualalai, Kamehameha, Kau, Konawaena, Laupahoehoe, Makua Lani, Pahoa, Parker, St. Joseph
MIL – Hana, Kihei, Lanai, Maui Prepatory, Molokai, St. Anthony, Seabury
OIA – None
KIF – All

welshrarebit
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by welshrarebit »

Early season impressions is that there are three remarkable freshmen girls in the ILH. It's also nice that they all go to different schools.

It'll be fun watching them compete against each other for the next four years!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Based on the Iolani XC team results,Punahou appears to be the team to beat for boys and girls.Punahou is always deep. Gonna be tough for other teams to knock them off this year,I think.

amishcompdude
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by amishcompdude »

Top 20 girls predictions from Bob Martin:

http://waynejoseph.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... ob-martin/

2LeftFeet
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2LeftFeet »

Does anyone know what percentage of the 160 runners in the Boys and Girls Races participating in States will be allocated for DII, or are the number of DII entries separate from DI?
Also, did the ADs and Principals vote on the method of scoring the State meet?
Last I heard, DI and DII would run in the same race and use the same scoring team place finishes, so that it would be possible for one division to displace another in the overall scoring, rather than using separate scoring for each division.

hzy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hzy »

My understanding is that there is no allocation specified for DI or DII. Each league sends their top two teams, regardless of division designation, along with the determined number of individual qualifiers. The "top two teams from a league" designation disregards division designation, whereas if each of the top two teams are from DI, it would mean that the top DII team would not automatically qualify a full team for the state race. Based on this allocation method, there is no definitive participation percentage distributed to DI and DII schools.

I have no idea how the scoring will be affected at the state meet itself, however.

kewlrunnings
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kewlrunnings »

This is the only thing I've been able to find about DI vs. DII:

CROSS COUNTRY

1. As amended: Add Cross Country to sports having divisional tournaments — to recognize a Division II boys and girls team champion. Format would still be one race per gender.

HIADA VOTE: 41-38-9.

HHSAA VOTE: 41-31-25 (ILH abstains).

Source: http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/basketba ... g-results/

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

The last I heard was that they would score the race the same as they have in the past, as one race. The first DI team to finish will be the DI champs and the first DII team to finish will be the DII champ.

The downside is that with both divisons scoring together in one race, the true DI or DII champ may not be the DI or DII champ (as scored separate).

Seabury Hall Boys would have been the DII champs last year but if scored separately HBA would have won.