*** Official Colt Brennan thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Where is Colt Brennan now?

Post by madeinhawaii »

Neighbor wrote:
Haynr8dr wrote:
SundayJam wrote:... but his clock is ticking.
Personally, I think that clock has stopped.

It's not like Colt is a young puppy. The dude is old already.
Yup. He's just as old as Chad Owens
Old in most competitive sports is 35 or how many miles you put on your joints. In other words, some guys will retire earlier. Colt's biggest concern is probably his head injuries. His joints, besides the genetic problems he had with his hips, should still be fine.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

CBthree
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: *** Official Colt Brennan Thread ***

Post by CBthree »

Crossing over from Warriors Scout.com.....

Honestly, at this point, what does a 28 (29 at kickoff) year-old QB who has never thrown a pass in an real (see: non-preseason) NFL game bring to the table? Nothing. There is too much young blood and game-experienced vets floating around to fill those slots. The other day Kirt Herbstritt on ESPN CFB.live was discussing Case Keenum's prospects in at the next level and laughed and said "he'll most likely end up just like that Colt (called him "Cole") Brennan guy from Hawaii years ago" (which seems the trendy way to insult a college QB this year :evil: ), and Mel Kiper responded with something like, "he won't fail like Brennan did in the NFL, who wasn't NFL material anyhow (paraphrasing)". Like it or not, Colt's done in the eyes of the NFL. Rumor from football futures is Rep1/Tollner Group is going to drop Colt anyhow. He's been removed from all of Tollner's activity on Rep1 as well (http://rep1sports.com/stats.html) and Colt's photo taken down (http://rep1sports.com/RyanTollner.html) Colt has had bad luck, bad timing, and has a poor NFL build/questionable work ethic. Sigh. I miss the guy and want to see him sling it still.

I wish he was playing SOMEWHERE though. I'd like to see him try out for the CFL or if not, the AFL. I don't think the UFL will be around next season and IMO he has 0% chance of the NFL. :(

Worst decision Colt EVER made, and even his father regrets it: COMING BACK FOR HIS SENIOR SEASON. The demolishion at the hands of the Bulldogs set him back professionally which has been too much to recover from. The time and money investment for a 1st/2nd round pick is much more than some 6th round scrub.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

CBthree wrote:Crossing over from Warriors Scout.com.....

Honestly, at this point, what does a 28 (29 at kickoff) year-old QB who has never thrown a pass in an real (see: non-preseason) NFL game bring to the table? Nothing. There is too much young blood and game-experienced vets floating around to fill those slots. The other day Kirt Herbstritt on ESPN CFB.live was discussing Case Keenum's prospects in at the next level and laughed and said "he'll most likely end up just like that Colt (called him "Cole") Brennan guy from Hawaii years ago" (which seems the trendy way to insult a college QB this year :evil: ), and Mel Kiper responded with something like, "he won't fail like Brennan did in the NFL, who wasn't NFL material anyhow (paraphrasing)". Like it or not, Colt's done in the eyes of the NFL. Rumor from football futures is Rep1/Tollner Group is going to drop Colt anyhow. He's been removed from all of Tollner's activity on Rep1 as well (http://rep1sports.com/stats.html) and Colt's photo taken down (http://rep1sports.com/RyanTollner.html) Colt has had bad luck, bad timing, and has a poor NFL build/questionable work ethic. Sigh. I miss the guy and want to see him sling it still.

I wish he was playing SOMEWHERE though. I'd like to see him try out for the CFL or if not, the AFL. I don't think the UFL will be around next season and IMO he has 0% chance of the NFL. :(

Worst decision Colt EVER made, and even his father regrets it: COMING BACK FOR HIS SENIOR SEASON. The demolishion at the hands of the Bulldogs set him back professionally which has been too much to recover from. The time and money investment for a 1st/2nd round pick is much more than some 6th round scrub.
im sure looking back now, colt probably wonders how it would have played out for him had he left for the nfl his jr year but i think its more the injuries and some bad luck and timing were more of a reasons why it didnt work out for him.

CBthree
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CBthree »

reignjah11 wrote:
CBthree wrote:Crossing over from Warriors Scout.com.....

im sure looking back now, colt probably wonders how it would have played out for him had he left for the nfl his jr year but i think its more the injuries and some bad luck and timing were more of a reasons why it didnt work out for him.
I agree with what you say, but I'm not going to absolve Colt from all blame as some of it is his fault. =; Colt was never known with the Redskins as a strong practice player or film guy. Zorn and the brass wanted him to pass Collins on the depth chart but he couldn't do it. He was also admittably NOT a gym-rat which turned off a lot of the strength coaches. We all know he is a "gamer" at UH, but that means squat in the NFL, you can't get by on moxie alone. He got a rude awakening when he was cut by the Redskins and you could see his persona change in his first interviews with Raiders.com, etc. He seemed to lose his entitlement and cocky attitude a bit (he'll always come off as cocky lol, that's why we love him). Good for him. Too bad the Raiders rented him to throw a few passes and screw him hard. Colt had no hope in Oakland from the get-go, most real Colt fans realized it but a few flooded the Raiders message boards with delusions of granduer and irked everyone off, making us all look bad.

Colt has a long, seemingly impossible road back to the NFL. Time to swallow your pride Colt and make a paycheck in the CFL or AFL. :hello1: We are all still so proud of you regardless.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Colt Brennan was on the University of Hawaii campus today (Thursday). The former Warriors star quarterback who was third in the Heisman race in 2007 said he plans to spend the spring here working out in hopes of making it to an NFL camp this year.

“One more shot at the NFL. If not, I can’t keep passing on the CFL,” said Brennan, who is now 28.
http://blogs.starbulletin.com/quickreads/?p=1916

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

CBthree wrote: ...
Aloha! Komo mai!

I've had long-winded detailed posts on this exact thesis many times on this board in recent years.

I give you John Beck.

Had Colt come out he would have competed with that draft group - JaMarcus Russell (who declared late, knocking Colt down a notch late). And who could forget the uncomfortable Brady Quinn, breathing a sigh of relief after he goes at 22 in the 1st. QBs then "flew off the shelf" quickly in the 2nd round, with Colt projected around the 3rd, surely the 4th Qb off the board previous to his announcement to return. Kolb went next, and John Beck goes soon after, with Drew Stanton soon after that.

John Beck ends up with the Dolphins ... of all places. But a 2nd rounder, and as you pointed out, that "investment" made in him versus the loose-change the 6th rounders get. There's a reasonable chance that Colt would have gone at this slot had he declared and come out his Junior season.

Fast forward to now: John Beck fills a void left at the QB position for the Redskins after Shanahan cleans house, including all QBs along with Colt, who was coming off an IR season. Sort of spooky how it all turned out.

It gets more speculative if you consider that Colt would have gone for sure by the time Stanton went - a Lion - still a Lion. Can you imagine Colt with this current Lion team?

Again, considering that concept that if you're drafted high - 2nd round - an "investment" is made by the organization in you, hence, more opportunties to prove yourself, otherwise, fail.

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

madeinhawaii wrote:
Colt Brennan was on the University of Hawaii campus today (Thursday). The former Warriors star quarterback who was third in the Heisman race in 2007 said he plans to spend the spring here working out in hopes of making it to an NFL camp this year.

“One more shot at the NFL. If not, I can’t keep passing on the CFL,” said Brennan, who is now 28.
http://blogs.starbulletin.com/quickreads/?p=1916
does that mean he has had opportunities in the cfl all this time and did not take it?

sometimes, a man has to swallow his pride, ply his trade elsewhere, and come back strong. kurt warner anyone?

BobbyBhoy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: Yanks
NBA: Nets
NFL: Jets

Colts up in Canada now

Post by BobbyBhoy »

Good luck to him...

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Colts up in Canada now

Post by Duster »

With Chad Owens playing in the CFL as well (plus Adam Leonard and Abe Elimimian - although Abe may be in an NFL camp), I'd like to see some CFL games on TV. Does Oceanic have any channel for it? They play in the summer, and as much as I like baseball, it will be great to be able to watch a little CFL football with players I recognize.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

I'll be paying close attention. Strictly as a fan.

How old is Colt now?

I believe Warren Moon was 28 when the NFL finally came calling after his 6th season in the CFL.

Just keeping it in perspective in terms of this recent development.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... _team.html

Good to see him on a team ... I wish him the very best!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Duster wrote:With Chad Owens playing in the CFL as well (plus Adam Leonard and Abe Elimimian - although Abe may be in an NFL camp), I'd like to see some CFL games on TV. Does Oceanic have any channel for it? They play in the summer, and as much as I like baseball, it will be great to be able to watch a little CFL football with players I recognize.
Solomon signed with the Vikings. Where is Abe going?
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Former University of Hawaii star quarterback Colt Brennan has signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League, the team announced Tuesday.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

RedZone wrote:
Duster wrote:With Chad Owens playing in the CFL as well (plus Adam Leonard and Abe Elimimian - although Abe may be in an NFL camp), I'd like to see some CFL games on TV. Does Oceanic have any channel for it? They play in the summer, and as much as I like baseball, it will be great to be able to watch a little CFL football with players I recognize.
Solomon signed with the Vikings. Where is Abe going?
http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/m-foo ... ham00.html Abe's a graduate assistant at SMU coaching the defensive backs.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Colt may not make it to the NFL. Right now he has a chance to become a QB on a professional team. A few of our Warriors have made it into the CFL and have been successful receiving offers from the NFL. Chad Owens decided to stay and be the man in Canada. Maybe this can happen to Colt? Maybe he wins the starting job and becomes very successful at it and becomes the man in Canada like Chad did. Not a bad thing to have happen to you. He can prove he belongs whether he gets offers from the NFL or not. One step at a time. First he has to make the team then become the first string QB. After that it is all up to him as to how good he can be. If he puts allot into it he will benefit the most. Otherwise it may be another short lived dream. May he stay healthy the rest of the way and improve.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”