Vander best center since Reggie Cross

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
ROB T
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Vander best center since Reggie Cross

Post by ROB T »

Who was the center when cross was thre

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

SectionACrazy wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:My memory of UH basketball is bad, but I remember Erin Galloway. I don't know if he was a center or forward, but I thought he was pretty good.
Someone who has hops and a nickname does not mean he's a player...sorry.
Sorry I was just putting a name out there. I said my memory was bad. No one likes a know-it-all.

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

ROB T wrote:Who was the center when cross was thre
I may be wrong but I think Cliff Beaubrun. 6'8" 230-240. Not dominant, good role player...space eater. If you went in the paint, he'd put up a fight.

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

EITSwarrior wrote:
SectionACrazy wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:My memory of UH basketball is bad, but I remember Erin Galloway. I don't know if he was a center or forward, but I thought he was pretty good.
Someone who has hops and a nickname does not mean he's a player...sorry.
Sorry I was just putting a name out there. I said my memory was bad. No one likes a know-it-all.
Not trying to be a know-it-all. Just that, I guess I used to have such a passion and love :love7: for the game, and for Rainbow Warrior basketball...the hype surrounding him was just not there for me. I know the hype wasn't his doing and all, and maybe my reaction to you putting a name out there was an over-reaction, nothing personal to you or Galloway... for that, I apologize. I've just maybe had too many "discussions" in the past with friends and acquaintances about the game. Oh, and just to put this out there... the passion and love was waaaayyyy more than any talent or skill, if any, that I had on the floor. :D

UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

Cliff Beaubron..I liked him ..you guys are bringing back some good memories....Haim Shimonovich was decent, and sometimes Troy Ostler would play center....remember, they were on the last teams to make the Big Dance

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UHALLDAWAY808 wrote:Cliff Beaubron..I liked him ..you guys are bringing back some good memories....Haim Shimonovich was decent, and sometimes Troy Ostler would play center....remember, they were on the last teams to make the Big Dance
I can't think of any center (or big forward who played center) since the Reggie Cross days that I'd prefer over Vander, so maybe the OP is right...

Chris Walz
Gerry Holmes (hahaha, I had to include him...)
Tony Maroney (Maybe)
Justice Sueing
Seth Sundberg
Erin Galloway
Troy Ostler
Marquette Alexander
Haim Shimonovich
Tony Akpan (chee hoo, my all-time fav!)
Chris Botez
Ahmet Gueye
Bill Amis

Vander seems like he has a higher ceiling than anyone else on the list had, for sure. If you are looking for a true center, I'd rank them Vander, Maroney, Sundberg, Freshman-Sophomore year Haim Shimonovich, and maybe Helicopter. I liked Gueye a lot, but he was a little undersized for a true center.

But this begs the question: who's the best Power Forward since Reggie Cross?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Tony Maroney, 169 blocked shots over two season averaging 10 rebounds per game. Although he didn't look like a dominating center, he got the job done at UH. I think Vander has a chance to be great next season.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Scott wrote:Tony Maroney, 169 blocked shots over two season averaging 10 rebounds per game. Although he didn't look like a dominating center, he got the job done at UH. I think Vander has a chance to be great next season.
If Vander doesn't come back, then it has to be Tony Maroney...

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

poidog wrote:
UHALLDAWAY808 wrote:Cliff Beaubron..I liked him ..you guys are bringing back some good memories....Haim Shimonovich was decent, and sometimes Troy Ostler would play center....remember, they were on the last teams to make the Big Dance
I can't think of any center (or big forward who played center) since the Reggie Cross days that I'd prefer over Vander, so maybe the OP is right...

Chris Walz
Gerry Holmes (hahaha, I had to include him...)
Tony Maroney (Maybe)
Justice Sueing
Seth Sundberg
Erin Galloway
Troy Ostler
Marquette Alexander
Haim Shimonovich
Tony Akpan (chee hoo, my all-time fav!)
Chris Botez
Ahmet Gueye
Bill Amis

Vander seems like he has a higher ceiling than anyone else on the list had, for sure. If you are looking for a true center, I'd rank them Vander, Maroney, Sundberg, Freshman-Sophomore year Haim Shimonovich, and maybe Helicopter. I liked Gueye a lot, but he was a little undersized for a true center.

But this begs the question: who's the best Power Forward since Reggie Cross?
Did you include Gerry Holmes because he died? And Justice Sueing is the best power-forward since Reggie Cross.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

gopunahou wrote:Did you include Gerry Holmes because he died? And Justice Sueing is the best power-forward since Reggie Cross.
no, I included him because he was a favorite of mine (up there with John Spanogle), but he didn't quite belong on the list because everyone else on it, other than Tony Akpan, was a starter.

Justice Sueing, eh? You can make a very solid case for him (he gets extra points for elbowing Keith Van Horn in the head!). Eric Ambrozich was a very solid player on a very solid team. he didn't have star power but he was very consistent. I wasn't much of a Phil Martin or Mike Robinson fan. I think with a strong senior season, Joston Thomas can leapfrog those two (and Tim Shepherd) to join the conversation.

UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

Rod Fleming could have been a great forward but didnt live up to the hype

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

UHALLDAWAY808 wrote:Rod Fleming could have been a great forward but didnt live up to the hype
Not sure if that was his fault. Under better coaching, he could have gone from being good to great. He played on some bad teams.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

J-Rod wrote:
UHALLDAWAY808 wrote:Rod Fleming could have been a great forward but didnt live up to the hype
Not sure if that was his fault. Under better coaching, he could have gone from being good to great. He played on some bad teams.
+1

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

This past sunday (2/19), KFVE showed the UH vs. Purdue game from 1988. Reggie Cross and Cliff Beubrum played in the game.

elemenohpeecg
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by elemenohpeecg »

troy ostler my favorite