2011 High School Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
hzy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2011 High School Cross Country

Post by hzy »

How about some talk about cross country for once?

Checked out the Dyestat site, and while I can't argue with the teams they highlight, I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on other teams that might be in contention. Specifically, Mililani seems to be bringing back a strong team, as evidence by the 2-mile time trial times posted on their website.

BIOFA
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BIOFA »

yes hzy, Mililani boys like very deep and strong at that.
The two mile time trial results look pretty good for a team this early in the season.
Coming up on Saturday morning is the Leilehua 2 mile fun run. Not sure what teams will be there but i expect Mililani and I heard Roosevelt will be there as well.

Pastrun
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Pastrun »

I have no patience for you Mike Lundblad aka nogutsnoglory. All I can say is your misguided. I hope you enjoy slandering your school hopefully we won't see you there any more or at the races.

Farewell,

-Pastrun

Con
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Con »

Aloha to All from the Brady Ohana…

Wow… Elli and Katie told me about what was going on, both here and on Big Dog’s blog, but I needed to read it to believe it.

Last year after Dakota won the State Championship, she came over and gave Elli a shell lei and a big hug. They spoke for a while. Admittedly, Elli was not feeling well. She had only been training a month, and she almost didn’t finish the race after trying and failing to catch a very fit and fast Dakota.

While there are some who would paint Dakota and Elli as adversaries, they’re actually pretty good friends. They both realize that their futures as runners are tied to each other, and that they are both better for the other. They also share the bond of being very young when thrust into the spotlight of Hawaii running notoriety. In essence, they both know what the other is going through. Meanwhile, there are some new and promising freshmen out there. From experience, I can say that full support is what they need...not the pressure of high expectations before even one race has been run.

I noticed that no one has posted anything here for over a week. After this healthy pause, would it be possible to return to sharing our mutual love for the sport of running and supporting all Hawaii’s cross-country leagues, teams and runners?

I see no problem with school and team spirit, but I see a BIG PROBLEM when someone starts rooting against a school, a team or an individual runner. That, plain and simply, is BAD SPORTSMANSHIP and in poor taste. One can hide behind the concept of free speech and entitlement to one’s opinion, but I would assert that the free, unfettered and public expression of one’s opinion also leaves one vulnerable to making a fool of one’s self.

In contrast, there are so many honorable coaches, parents and runners reading this blog who can stand up and hold these bad sportsmen accountable. I, for one, have avoided posting here because of Elli and Katie. I did not feel that it was appropriate for me to say anything. Given some of what I have read here over the past few years, I’ve changed my mind!

I will be reading this site regularly, I will begin posting, and I will use my name. I would encourage everyone else to use their names, as this will give everyone cause for reflection as to what they say and how they say it! Conversely, if you cannot feel comfortable with signing your name to your words, then what you’ve written is probably not appropriate!

To all the Coaches: Thanks for what you do for our kids. To all the Parents: Mary and I are looking forward to seeing you again to enjoy our kids running together. To all our Hawaii Runners: The best of luck to you, and please remember to be GOOD SPORTS, despite the poor example set by some adults!

--Con Brady, Supportive Dad

2LeftFeet
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2LeftFeet »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSfPLnQk_to - Video of the Leilehua 2 mile Fun Run from the Mililani site, http://milhsxc.com.

SKW23
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SKW23 »

Con,
I support your idea of having everyone starting to post under their name. Not hiding behind a fake name and talking bad about high school student atheltes.
Well for everyone to know, Im Shannon White, I went to Waiakea, Leilehua, and Keaau High schools. I ran cross country all four years, and I am very close to Wayne Joseph, or Big Dog. Big Dog was my coach at Waiakea, and if it wasnt for him I probably wouldnt be a State Champ, as I wanted to quit cross country but he told me things would get better and they did. I also am very close to the Leilehua program. I was on the State Championship team of Leilehua in '08 and have grown to learn to love the sport. Shawn Nakata is an idol to me, and I try to learn as much as I can from him as I would like to coach cross country later. I run cross country for HPU, and am on Oahu, so I pay weekly visits to the school to see my favorite runners train.

As for the bad talking about our Hawaii high school student athletes, it should stop. Because I was mentioned in this blog before and took somethings to heart. Some were good and some were bad, but the bad has to stop.

Anyways, the BIIF had the Canefire Conditioner yesterday, and for those of you that dont know about it, it is a 6x6 mile race with a partner. Runner 1 runs 1mile, hands a batton to his partner and he runs his mile. And it is completed after both have run 3miles. The times posted by Jackson Halford and Keoni Rice were the fastest in 3 years. at 31 flat. Congrats to them, the BIIF is starting to look strong again. As I am a fan of the BIIF as well I wish them all good luck, as with everyone else in the state.
Lets have a great season and see you at the races.

kewlrunnings
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kewlrunnings »

Let me get this straight...

Punahou girls place all seven varsity runners in the top twenty last year at the state championship race. They only lose one girl from that team and they can replace her with a BRADY? Life isn't fair!!! ;)

Good luck to all! Have fun and stay healthy.

Con
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Con »

Shannon...

Thanks for supporting the cause. It takes courage to take a stand and put your name on it! I appreciate that you shared remembering bloggers here saying some not-so-appropriate things about you! The kids are ALL reading this site, and we all need to remember that!

Coach Shawn is awesome. We met him last fall and he included Elli and my wife, Mary, in the "Team Hawaii" trip to the Foot Locker Regionals at Mount SAC. To my point, our Hawaii runners all took off their school colors and they wore Hawaii colors. There were kids from all the leagues running as a State team...Very cool. Elli and Mary had a blast.

I've never met the Big Dog, but it is very obvious from his site that he hs a HUGE supporter of our Hawaii runners. You picked a couple of good ones as mentors, Shannon!

Race Hard!

--Con

nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by nogutsnoglory »

Pastrun

LIke I said, I am sorry for you. And yes I will be at the meets to watch my girls run. You should come over and talk to me personally rather than do what you are doing here. Or better yet why don't you just call me since you know me so well.