April 26, 2010 Practice Report (Updated 4/26/10)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Re: Spring Practice #2 & #3 Report (Updated)

Post by bigislandkurt »

Mo! Mo! Mo! ~~~~~~~~~$$$$

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Spring Practice #2 & #3 Report (Updated)

Post by BleedGreen808 »

TheDuke wrote:strange. The Star Bulletin said that there was only one TD thrown during the scrimmage period.
Yes, there was only one TD thrown during the scrimmage. But if you look at my post, it says during 7 on 7. The mini scrimmage was during the end of practice where they went 11 on 11.
"Limits like fears are just an illusion." Michael Jordan

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Spring Practice #2 & #3 Report

Post by kapakahi »

Waryor wrote:
kapakahi wrote: Lookin' good....Billy Ray!!!....and probably feelin' real good too after making those long TD catches!!!
trading places reference? :D
Yup!!! :lol:

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Kauai Practice/Scrimmage Report (Updated)

Post by BleedGreen808 »

Kauai practice/scrimmage report

As usual, it started out with warm up by T. Heffernan. Defense was on one side, while the offense was on the other. After the warm up, the team gathered in the middle of the field for “warrior pride” where one offensive guy went one-on-one with a defensive guy. This got the offense and defense fired up. From what I gathered, the offense won three out of the five, if that matters at all. Next the team parted ways.

My observation was that the offense was utilizing the field and their time more efficiently. The whole first offensive unit would run a play without the defense, and after the play would move up 10-15 yards while the second, third, and fourth units right behind until they reached the 50 yard line to have three units on the field on their own side of the field at the same time. I call it “organized chaos.”

Kauai Mayor Carvalho gave a pep talk to the whole team before scrimmage. Jim Donovan, Neil Abercrombie, MacNamara, Adam Leonard, Mel Purcell, and Mr. and Mrs. Carl Clapp were among the notables in attendance. Abercrombie announced over the p.a. that if he becomes governor, he will give UH the full authority of Aloha Stadium and will work hard to get all D1 teams involved in the BCS system.

Paipai, Letuli, Brashton, Salas, Green, and Dimude all participated in practice but did not participate in the scrimmage.

On the scrimmage:

First series had S. Austin at QB and that series ended with a fumble.

Second series had D. Graves at QB and ended with a Dunnachie punt getting a verbal praise from Tormey.

Third and fourth series with B. Rausch at QB. One ended with a punt by Dunnachie and the other was a TD by D. Bright. PAT good.

Fifth series was C. Shutter, which ended on a TD catch by C. Stutzmann. PAT good.

Sixth series was with C. Nielsen at QB and that ended with a missed FG.

After the sixth series, I lost track of who was in or what.

Austin had a TD to R. Henry towards the end of the scrimmage. PAT good.

Scrimmage ended with another missed FG.

The defense was in the backfield a lot due in part of O-Line not giving the QBs much time to go through their reads. This is why I can’t say who stood out today. A good part of the time, the QBs were either scrambling, or the play was deemed dead because of a sack. At one point, the defense had three sacks in a row. One, I believe, was by Umu, and the other by a player with a uniform turned inside out. He looked to have had Sione’s physique. Overall, I thought the defense played aggressive, swarming football. The offense had its moments but just couldn’t put together a consistent, sustainable drive throughout the scrimmage.

Majority of the reps went to Rausch, Shutter, and Graves.

It seems to me that S. Austin is really threading those balls. I cringe when he lets the ball go.

A. Brown had a couple of sacks.

P. Paredes and M. Silva had some nice hits.

A number of forced fumbles by the defense.

J. Clapp and C. Paclebar, both had a good outing.

Stutzmann continues to do some damage.

D. Bright seems uncomfortable with the offense. But he does have the potential to be special. He showed his speed when he ran by the DB to catch
the ball for a TD.

K. Alo is positioning himself to be the future big hitting safety.

At one point, V. Meatoga seemed to be limping towards the sideline. Hope there was nothing to it.

G. Daily-Lyles and M. Maleapai had couple of tackles. I think Marcus might have had a sack, too.

J. Loeffler is young with great potential at LT. He is more than holding his own. He has been running with the third unit at LT.

By the way, great showing by the Garden Isle fans. Good move by UH to have Rainbowtique selling UH merchandise. A number of people in the afternoon left carrying UH Warrior handbags.

Sorry if I missed including some really good plays. Crackberry was acting up. Also, was trying to blog and watch the game at the same time.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kauai Practice/Scrimmage Report (Updated)

Post by SundayJam »

BleedGreen808 wrote:
Fifth series was C. Shutter, which ended on a TD catch by C. Stutzmann. PAT good.

Stutzmann continues to do some damage.
Your highlights and analysis were so on spot....I had to wonder at the audacity of braddah Craig to steal the thunder of younger bro Billy-RAY!!!!!

Thanks BleedGreen808.
Excellent read and info!

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kauai Practice/Scrimmage Report--Go to Page 3 (Updated)

Post by bigislandkurt »

Mahalo!

BIK

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Kauai Practice/Scrimmage Report--Go to Page 3 (Updated)

Post by dakineguy »

I must have come in around the fifth series. Thanks for the report.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

April 17, 2010 Scrimmage Report--Go to Page 3 (Updated)

Post by BleedGreen808 »

Scrimmage #2 (April 17, 2010)

My report will start from where I believe the scrimmage began (i.e. where the chains started to move).

First series--Shane Austin at QB...series ended with an INT by Mana Silva.

Second series--Graves at QB...connecting with Darius Bright on a big gain but series ended by a FG by Scott Enos...FG good.

Third series--Brent Rausch at QB...connecting with Darius Bright for a TD...PAT good by Scott Enos.

Fourth series---Cayman Shutter at QB...ending with a punt by Alex Dunnachie.

Fifth series--Cayman Shutter at QB...ending with a punt by Aled Dunnachie.

Sixth series--Brent Rausch at QB...ending with a punt by Alex Dunnachie.

Seventh series--Brent Rausch and Cayman Shutter spilt time at QB...ending with a punt by Alex Dunnachie.

Eight series--Brent Rausch at QB...pass to Westley LeClay for big gain...went for it on fourth down and ended with an incomplete pass...scrimmage ended

There were less fewer sacks this Saturday then last Saturday.

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

April 19, 2010 Practice Report--Go to Page 3 (Updated)

Post by BleedGreen808 »

April 19, 2010 Practice Report

Second String Offense

LWO--Darius Bright/Michael Tinoco
LSB--Ryan Henry
LT--Chauncy Winchester-Makainai
LG--Andrew Faaumu
C--Bronson Tiwanak
RG--Drew Uperesa
RT--Levi Legay
RSB--Dustin Blount
RWO--Billy Ray Stutzmann
QB--David Graves
RB--Kainoa Carlson?

uhwarriors

Re: April 17, 2010 Scrimmage & April 19, 2010 Practice Repor

Post by uhwarriors »

Stopped by practice today for the first time this spring. The biggest changes that I noticed was the experience the receivers and quarterbacks have with the offense and the pace of the offensive practice. Rolo was going deep into the playbook with all three groups. With only a couple of route mistakes, the receivers are much better with the playbook this spring. In the past the pace was slower and there was much more teaching going on. Today, it was fast paced repetition after repetition with variations of plays being called out quickly and the players running the plays. Order of the quarterbacks was Austin, Graves, Rausch and Shutter.

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

April 24, 2010 Practice/Srimmage Report (Updated 4/25/10)

Post by BleedGreen808 »

April 24, 2010 Practice/Scrimmage Report

IF IT FEELS THAT THIS PLAY-BY-PLAY ACCOUNT OF THE SCRIMMAGE GIVE AN UNDUE ADVANTAGE TO THE OPPOSING TEAM. PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL STOP DOING THE PLAY-BY-PLAY.

One-on-one drills between the OL and DL

From what I have seen so far, DL really owns this drill. Pepa looks good. He and along with some of the first stringers who has been the most consistent on the OL on this drill. I have been impressed with J. Loeffler as a LT. He is the guy that have caught my eye during this drill. From the many practices that I have attended this spring, I don’t recall him ever losing a one-on-one battle. The guys that impresses me on the DL during this drill is Ryan “the beast” Eastman, and two DEs that have their jersey’s turned inside out. I know one of them is Earvin Sione and I believe the other guy is Waylon Lolotai. Ryan just seems to be able to find a way to get through. He has good techniques Not so impressed with one OL. I won’t name who he is but he just gets flat out beat all the time. He needs to move his feet.
Highlight of the day will go to David Hafoka. The OG was so blown away that Hafoka stopped going after the would be QB once he got passed the OG at the line of scrimmage.

Play-by-play account of the scrimmage

First Series
QB: Austin
Austin passes to Pollard complete
Austin scramble due to pressure by Correa
Austin passes to Avery almost intercepted by L. Walker
Austin passes to Pilares incomplete. Pressure by V. Meatoga
Punt by Dunnachie

Second Series
QB: Austin
Austin to Dimude and big hit by C. Paredes for loss of yds.
Austin sacked by Umu
Austin threw ball away due to pressure

Third Series
QB: Rausch
Rausch passes to D. Bright complete
Rausch to Rosehill, tackled for no gain by W. Lolotai
Rausch to Lister complete
Rausch passes to #86 (I think it’s J. Clapp), passed tipped by #86 results in INT by Stepter

Fourth Series
QB: Austin and Graves
Austin to Green stopped by P. Amhad
Graves scrambles due to pressure
Graves to Green results in a first down
Graves scrambles due to pressure by Umu
Graves to Dimude
Graves passes to Avery results in first down
Graves sacked by L. Satele
Graves to Dimude results in first down
Graves to ???
Graves passes to Pilares complete
Graves to Green results in TD
PAT good by Enos

Fifth Series
QB: Shutter
Shutter passes to Blount complete
Shutter passes to Blount incomplete
Shutter to Rosehill
Shutter passes to Stutzmann incomplete
Shutter to RB (??)
Shutter passes to 86 complete
Shutter sacked

Sixth Series
QB: Austin, Rausch and Graves
Austin to Green
Austin passes to R. Henry incomplete
Rausch passes to Pilares or #86 incomplete
Rausch passes to Pilares complete
Graves pass to Dimude caught but big hit jarred ball loose
Graves to Dimude

Seventh Series
QB: Rausch
Rausch passes to Blount TD
PAT good by Kyle

Eight Series
QB: Graves
Graves passes to Pollard complete
Graves to Rosehill, Meatoga tackle
Graves passes to Avery complete
Graves scramble
Graves scramble not because of pressure but due to wide open field resulted in a would be TD but whistle blown before reaching the end zone
Graves scramble due to wide open field

Ninth Series
QB: Shutter
Shutter pass tipped
Shutter passes to C. Paclebar
Shutter sacked by R. Eastman
Shutter to Iosefa
Shutter passes to B. Nicola
Shutter to Iosefa
Shutter pass attempt incomplete

warriorfan4ever
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: April 24, 2010 Practice/Srimmage Report (Updated 4/25/10

Post by warriorfan4ever »

being a warrior fan i'm impressed by austin!!! the real deal who has the weapons - he's gonna win a lot of games as a starter. in comparision to the new guys - Graves would rather run than throw the ball - not quite looking like the Warrior football that took us to the sugerbowl - Cayman is gaining confidence and will do well eventually - and even in his thrid year Rausch still needs to be more consistant - my pick is austin - he's the most accurate passer on the roster - he is quick on his feet - he always looks in control and confident. :D

HawaiianPride
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiianPride »

I been to the practice the past couple saturday's. The one on one with the OL and DL were exciting to watch those big guys go at it Austin hansen has been reallly solid at LT position and with Pepa back I think were looking pretty good at LT and RT position. Another OL that I think is going to be good is Chaucy Winchester-Makainai hes been doing good at LT so far also with the one on one and I also notice that after they do there streching before practice they do this thing called PRIDE one on one between Offence and Defence and coachs are always calling Chauncy to do one on one they must have alot of confidence in him as rsfreshman and from what I have seen hes been winning.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by bigislandkurt »

I can't wait to see Jordan "da big island" loefler after a couple of years on Coach Heff's program. He's still a bit light at 280lbs on his 6'5 frame. That boy at 305-310lbs will be a sight to see. He's still very young, but that boy loves playing for the warriors. It's good to see him making progress. He and Chauncey certainly have the potential to be stalwarts on the oline in the coming years. Add in Lefotu and Lloyd next year. WE gonna be alright.

BIK

MakakiloWarrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MakakiloWarrior »

warriorfan4ever wrote:being a warrior fan i'm impressed by austin!!! the real deal who has the weapons - he's gonna win a lot of games as a starter. in comparision to the new guys - Graves would rather run than throw the ball - not quite looking like the Warrior football that took us to the sugerbowl - Cayman is gaining confidence and will do well eventually - and even in his thrid year Rausch still needs to be more consistant - my pick is austin - he's the most accurate passer on the roster - he is quick on his feet - he always looks in control and confident. :D
Cayman sure throws a nice ball :D

In saturday's scrimmage, Billy Ray was running a flare i think, and he had to come back for the ball 2x i think....can anyone reach him when he's in full stride? :o

GO WARRIORS