OIA X-Country Championships-What do YOU think?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

OIA X-Country Championships-What do YOU think?

Post by Chuckiesan »

The OIA Cross Country Championships are Saturday and I'm wondering what teams and individuals to look for. I plan to watch at CORP but I need a primer. I ran Cross Country a few years in high school but that's about it. I know you are the experts so I'm just asking for your educated opinion.
Mahalo...

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: OIA X-Country Championships-What do YOU think?

Post by 800runner »

On the boys side, I have almost no doubt that Margarito Martinez will win...by about 1 min. I also believe he will lead his Leilehua team (running in camouflage jerseys) to a championship. After that... it becomes a little less predictable. For second place, I would have to give it to Eric Pak of Castle (running in dark red w/yellow lettering), who will also lead his team to a second place finish. Pak and his team are coming off their Eastern Division Championships, and I think he is capable of taking second in this race. Third place could really go down to several runners but I will predict Colin Honeker of Aiea (white with green lettering) taking that spot due to his second place finish behind Martinez at Western Division champs and his 9th place finish at CORP earlier this year against island wide competition. The boys race will not have much drama to it when it comes to who will finish first, but after that it could be simply who has the best day. All those runners are around the same level.

On the girls side, the individual title is up for grabs. Mililani, running in yellow/white, whom I predict as the team champ, has three potential winners in Gabriella Jenkins, Kristin Ali Keith (who won states a couple years ago), and Kimberly Pugliese. Also in the running for the individual title is Develynn White of Kapolei, who had a very strong showing at Punahou. Other runners with strong showings and a good chance at the title include, but are not limited to, Jessica Kafer of Radford, and Sophie Curatilo of Moanalua. The second place team finish could likely be Radford, who have been generally strong, but not close to the level of Mililani. A potential factor that could hurt them would be their lack of a 6th and 7th runner.

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy the race this weekend.

Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chuckiesan »

Mahalo for your thoughts, 808,

From what I've seen, Martinez looks like the man to beat. I have also heard good things about Pak too, so I think I'll see him somewhere in front.
I've also heard about Mililani and their team-girls and boys. Sheesh, they have the best website of any school, for sure.
I'm really looking forward to Saturday...

2LeftFeet
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2LeftFeet »

For the boys OIA Title, I think if you incorporate all of the JV Runners, they will take away places from Leilehua, and in the end, Pearl City ends up with the advantage, since most of their points will come from their JV. You have to figure that there have been schools with non-scoring runners throughout the season that have been placing ahead of Leilehua's runners, but have not had an effect on the team scoring, without enough runners to make a full team. But now many of those schools will have full teams when they move up their JV runners, and will have an effect on the overall team scores.

Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chuckiesan »

That's interesting. So even if an athlete participated in the OIA JV Championships, they can move up and participate in the Varsity one as well?

2LeftFeet
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2LeftFeet »

In the OIA, the JV division is grades 9 - 10, but if they are good enough or if the coach decides to, they can run varsity, but once they participate in a varsity race, they can't go back to JV. After JV championships, the sophomore's JV career is over anyway, so if there are spots open on the varsity team, they are moved up to run in the varsity championships.

Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chuckiesan »

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chuckiesan »

Does anyone know a website that lists the top individual finishers for OIA the past 5 years or so?

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

Here are the links. Mostly from the Mililani site but there was one the usatf-hi.org site. The Mililani one has pretty much all the OIA results for 8 years and the usatf-hi.org has the ILH results from the past four for almost every meet.

http://www.geocities.com/milhsxc/2008/OIAChamps.htm
http://usatf-hi.org/2007%20Results/OIAChamp-varsity.htm
http://www.geocities.com/milhsxc/2006/OIAChamps.htm
http://www.geocities.com/milhsxc/2005/OIAChamp.htm
http://www.geocities.com/milhsxc/2004/OIA.htm

Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chuckiesan »

800, YOU dah Runnah.....Mahalo!

Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chuckiesan »

OK, I should probably re-title this thread, "Idiot XC questions from Clueless" but here goes:
What formula does the OIA use for team scoring?
The one I'm familiar with is first place = 1, second=2, etc. So if a school has the first five finishers, it's a perfect 15. But I tried that on some of the previous OIA scores and it didn't add up right.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

The universal cross country scoring: A team needs at least 5 runners to score. Any runner on a team without 5 finishers does not count in the score. A scoring team's first 7 runners are scored, however, for the team standings only 5 runners are counted. The other two are only displacers for the other teams or tiebreakers.
For example:
1) Runner A (School 1) [1] pt
2) Runner B (School 2) [2]
3) Runner C (School 3)
4) Runner D (School 2) [3]
5) Runner E (School 1) [4]
6) Runner F (School 1) [5]
7) Runner G (School 2) [6]
8) Runner H (School 1) [7]
9) Runner I (School 2) [8]
10) Runner J (School 2) [9]
11) Runner K (School 1) [10]
12) Runner L (School 1) [11]
13) Runner M (School 2) [12]
In this situation, runners A, E, F, H, and K would score 1, 4, 5, 7, and 10 points respectively for School 1, for a total of 27 points. Runner L would score 11 points for school 1 and Runner M would score 12 points for school 2 but it would not be factored into the team score. It would just bump everyone below him/her up one point or break any ties. Runners B, D, G, I, and J would score 2, 3, 6, 8, and 9 for School 2 for a total of 28. However, for team scoring, you would skip Runner C because School 3 does not have at least 5 runners. Instead, the top point scorers are A, B, and D (1pt, 2, 3).

Hopefully you understand it.

Chuckiesan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chuckiesan »

My late 5th grade math teacher is probably wagging her finger at me and laughing in the grave. If anyone else can comprehend, please report to the Governor's Office first thing Monday. I'll just go to the meet tomorrow and forget about the math....

RunJonPaulAMPM
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by RunJonPaulAMPM »

The bottom line is, when you are counting the places the runners are finishing in, don't count the runners from schools with less than 5 people on the team. They don't have full teams, so they don't qualify for the team championship.
If a team like Leilehua or Kamehameha finished 1-2-3-4-5, they would have a perfect score of 15 pts, but if there was a school with only 2 runners, that finished 6 & 7, they would have only 13 points and end up winning the team title with only 2 runners, which isn't fair, so they are not counted as a team. Their runners do qualify for individual awards, but aren't counted when adding up the places for the team scores.