Go Rainbow Wahine Volleyball team.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Go Rainbow Wahine Volleyball team.

Post by Sportsbow »

Make it 3 in-a-row over SJSU.

Wahine Soccer beat SJSU yesturday.

UH Warrior football beat SJSU today.

Let's make it a 3 game sweep over SJSU teams tonight in volleyball.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

UH Rainbow Wahine VB team complete the 3-sport SJSU sweep. The win makes it 100 straight in WAC play.

Scores: 30-27, 30-22, 30-24

PoiPounder
Starter
Starter

Post by PoiPounder »

Death to ankle injuries is all I gotta say first. Tough break for Mason going down with another ankle injury. She looked like she was in alot of pain but glad to hear it was only a mild sprain. Now onto the game. Sloppy game by the wahine IMO. In every game the wahine got out to huge leads but would let San Jose St creep back in with careless passing and hitting errors. Hittle really struggled offensively but she didn't let that phase her backrow play. She played some great defense. Speaking of defense Watanabe put on a digging clinic out there. Digging anything and eveything in sight. I believe she finished the night with 24 digs. That's a 8 per game average. That's just awesome. Sanders had a great night both on offense and defense. The only thing I wish more from her is to mix up a shots a bit. So the wahine next road game is against Nevada on Thursday and right now Nevada is not looking so hot with 2 losses in a row with a limited Salave'a. Hopefully by then Mason's ankle will be healed enough. She's real vital to this team and she's been tearing it up against WAC teams.

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

Mason was sitting on the bench during the third game and seemed okay. After the match, she was able to walk around without anything (ice, wrap) on her ankle. Hopefully, she'll be okay. I still think that players that have ankle sprains during the season should wear a brace for the rest of the year . . . just as a precaution.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

PoiPounder wrote:Death to ankle injuries is all I gotta say first. Tough break for Mason going down with another ankle injury. She looked like she was in alot of pain but glad to hear it was only a mild sprain. Now onto the game. Sloppy game by the wahine IMO. In every game the wahine got out to huge leads but would let San Jose St creep back in with careless passing and hitting errors. Hittle really struggled offensively but she didn't let that phase her backrow play. She played some great defense. Speaking of defense Watanabe put on a digging clinic out there. Digging anything and eveything in sight. I believe she finished the night with 24 digs. That's a 8 per game average. That's just awesome. Sanders had a great night both on offense and defense. The only thing I wish more from her is to mix up a shots a bit. So the wahine next road game is against Nevada on Thursday and right now Nevada is not looking so hot with 2 losses in a row with a limited Salave'a. Hopefully by then Mason's ankle will be healed enough. She's real vital to this team and she's been tearing it up against WAC teams.
The commentators said that Sarah Mason's injury was a minor sprain from the old injury and wasn't serious. They said that she could return to the game if need be, but with the game well in hand, it's unlikely unless absolutely necessary.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Sportsbow wrote:
PoiPounder wrote:Death to ankle injuries is all I gotta say first. Tough break for Mason going down with another ankle injury. She looked like she was in alot of pain but glad to hear it was only a mild sprain. Now onto the game. Sloppy game by the wahine IMO. In every game the wahine got out to huge leads but would let San Jose St creep back in with careless passing and hitting errors. Hittle really struggled offensively but she didn't let that phase her backrow play. She played some great defense. Speaking of defense Watanabe put on a digging clinic out there. Digging anything and eveything in sight. I believe she finished the night with 24 digs. That's a 8 per game average. That's just awesome. Sanders had a great night both on offense and defense. The only thing I wish more from her is to mix up a shots a bit. So the wahine next road game is against Nevada on Thursday and right now Nevada is not looking so hot with 2 losses in a row with a limited Salave'a. Hopefully by then Mason's ankle will be healed enough. She's real vital to this team and she's been tearing it up against WAC teams.
The commentators said that Sarah Mason's injury was a minor sprain from the old injury and wasn't serious. They said that she could return to the game if need be, but with the game well in hand, it's unlikely unless absolutely necessary.
Good to hear. Nevada has the Hawaii game circled and they will be ready to go. We embarassed them in Hawaii this season and they'll be looking for pay back.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Recap of game from UH website: http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/recap.html?rid=14090&p=12

No. 11 Hawai`i Gets 100th-Straight WAC Win With Sweep Over San Jose State

Recap Date: 10/22/05

HONOLULU - The No. 11 University of Hawai`i Rainbow Wahine (15-6, 8-0 WAC) swept through the San Jose State Spartans (9-11, 4-4 WAC) 30-27, 30-22 and 30-24, to run their WAC winning streak to 100 consecutive matches, in front of a crowd of 7,556 at the Stan Sheriff Center Saturday.

Ashley Watanabe came up with 24 digs to lead the Rainbow Wahine. Juliana Sanders hit .400 with 13 kills and eight blocks, while Susie Boogaard had 10 kills and five digs while hitting .368. Kanoe Kamana`o put up 48 assists, 10 digs and four blocks. Sarah Mason had eight kills, five digs and five blocks while hitting .727 in just two games before going out with an injury to her right ankle. The injury isn't major and Mason is not expected to miss any future matches because of it.
Hawai`i jumped on the Spartans early, going up 7-2 on a solo block by Sanders to force SJSU to call a timeout. San Jose State was able to pull back within three points at 15-12 and then tied it up at 26. But the Rainbow Wahine then took control, scoring four of the next five points, capped by a block by Mason and Sanders, giving UH the 30-27 game one victory.

The Rainbow Wahine fell behind 3-1 at the start of game two before going on a 10-point run on the serve of Kamana`o, putting UH up 11-3. But the 11th point came at a price as Mason fell on a SJSU player's foot, reaggravating an ankle injury that held her out of five matches earlier in the season. Hawai`i kept rolling, getting their lead to 27-14 on a four-point run that was highlighted by back-to-back aces by Cayley Thurlby. SJSU had a little bit of fight left as they responded with a 8-1 run that cut the deficit to 28-22. But that would be it as a kill by Victoria Prince and a solo block by Kamana`o ended it 30-22.

UH got up 4-0 to start game three with two consecutive blocks by Kamana`o and Kari Gregory. And they just kept rolling along as a dump by Kamana`o got it up to 18-8 before a 9-3 Spartan run pulled SJSU within four points at 21-17. But SJSU couldn't get any closer as Sanders put away an overpass to end the match with a 30-24 game three victory.

Hawai`i will now head on the road for matches at Nevada on Oct. 26 and at Fresno State on Oct. 28. Both matches will start at 7 p.m.

Match Statistics
-uh-

Sweet_Shawty_Pnay
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Sweet_Shawty_Pnay »

well give tonights game a grade: i would give them a low B, only because players on the court are attacking the same balls all at once time after time. i cant do it any better than these girls but watching them on tv more than 3 times some of the girls would be attacking the ball all at once. the needs to be more communication. and yes hawaii meets up wit nevada thursday, the team that hawaii embarassed. but hey hawaii has a great chance. the wolfpack fell to both san jose state and fresno state in 5 games. as for mason. i think her going down tonight was another chance for some of the players on the bench to prove themselves. that they did. Mason has bailed these girls out a lot and i think that tonight it was a matter of seeing them bail themselves out when they are in trouble. Luckily Mason just tweaked her ankle a bit. Prince Saw limited action but i think that she left her mark on the court even though she never played all three games. Overall the wahine are still the team to beat in the conference. the won a 100 straight and hopefully will be able to keep it alive while on the road. but like i said in the begining, they really need to communicate better if they want to really keep the streak alive. they won 9 matches and 29 games so far in the wac. but GO BOWS! it was a great day for UH Athletics.

rayson
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by rayson »

I'm a little disappointed with the way the Wahine played this week. They played with out fire, like they were just going through the motions especially Saturday's match. They kept letting SJSU back into the game. I know it's hard to keep their concentration against some of the WAC teams but they need to find a way. I want to see them play the way they did against Nevada all the time.

I also thought the SJSU coach said something intresting:

"I don't think anybody in the conference believes they can beat them," SJSU coach Craig Choate said. "The biggest problem with playing Hawai'i is not the physical thing. Are they bigger, faster, stronger? Yes. But it's not like the days of (Kim) Willoughby and (Lily) Kahumoku where it didn't matter if you put six people in front of them to block because they'd just look over you and hit it.

"They can still do that to an extent now. But it's not the same. They are still really good, but I think there are a couple teams that could do it physically on a good night. But nobody believes it because they've been beat down for so long. Somebody has to break the spell."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 30366/1032

For all their talk about the Wahine being vulnerable I don't think any team actually deep down believes they can beat Hawaii (except maybe Salave'a). I think this is why a lot of WAC teams often wilt, self destruct or simply do not play up to what their capable of. I don't know if any WAC team is physically able to beat Hawaii (perhaps Utah St or New Mexico State) but there are a lot of teams that can certainly play Hawaii a lot better than they have been. To improve their play, Hawaii needs to play against teams who believe they can beat them and who play fearless like they believe they can beat them (like LMU). Maybe it will take an in conference loss or two by Hawaii before we see any overall improvement in WAC play.

What do you guys think?

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

rayson wrote:I'm a little disappointed with the way the Wahine played this week. They played with out fire, like they were just going through the motions especially Saturday's match. They kept letting SJSU back into the game. I know it's hard to keep their concentration against some of the WAC teams but they need to find a way. I want to see them play the way they did against Nevada all the time.

I also thought the SJSU coach said something intresting:

"I don't think anybody in the conference believes they can beat them," SJSU coach Craig Choate said. "The biggest problem with playing Hawai'i is not the physical thing. Are they bigger, faster, stronger? Yes. But it's not like the days of (Kim) Willoughby and (Lily) Kahumoku where it didn't matter if you put six people in front of them to block because they'd just look over you and hit it.

"They can still do that to an extent now. But it's not the same. They are still really good, but I think there are a couple teams that could do it physically on a good night. But nobody believes it because they've been beat down for so long. Somebody has to break the spell."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 30366/1032

For all their talk about the Wahine being vulnerable I don't think any team actually deep down believes they can beat Hawaii (except maybe Salave'a). I think this is why a lot of WAC teams often wilt, self destruct or simply do not play up to what their capable of. I don't know if any WAC team is physically able to beat Hawaii (perhaps Utah St or New Mexico State) but there are a lot of teams that can certainly play Hawaii a lot better than they have been. To improve their play, Hawaii needs to play against teams who believe they can beat them and who play fearless like they believe they can beat them (like LMU). Maybe it will take an in conference loss or two by Hawaii before we see any overall improvement in WAC play.

What do you guys think?
Good points Rayson.

You have to agree with what Choate said about the Wahine being “bigger, faster, stronger”. Like Kim Willoughby or Lily Kahamoku, “where it didn't matter if you put six people in front of them to block because they'd just look over you and hit it”. Against the Wahine’s WAC opponents, only Sarah Mason and the MBs (Prince/Sanders) are doing it . Hittle’s stats against that smallish block, 4 kills, 7 errors, in 25 attempts, for a -.120%; Her replacement Arnott, didn’t fare much better, hitting for –0.91%, 2 kills, 3 errors, in 11 attempts. Houston’s .238 hitting %, 7 kills, 2 errors, in 21 attempts would be respectable against Nebraska or Washington, but against a smallish block, woeful. Maybe its time for Coach Shoji to give Keefe more looks—her stats Saturday night playing a fraction of the 3rd game, 3 kills, 0 errors, in 7 attempts, for a .429%. Keefe for the season is hitting .261% versus Arnott’s .191%, Hittle’s .126%, and Houston’s .233%

At this point of the season, [with the NCAA tourney looming closer, the opponents will be just as “bigger, faster, stronger”] Coach Shoji needs to finally realize that Hittle or Arnott are not bringing it. I remember in one of his shows, he said “I hate to do the back-row/front-row thing with Hittle”. IMHO, I think that time has finally arrived—Houston plays the front-row, and Hittle back-row, because of her superior back-row defense. Bottom line, Hittle is doing the job digging/passing, but against mediocre WAC opponents front-line, she has been a liability.

In last week’s Coach Shoji Show, Shoji said: Prince and Sanders overwhelms other WAC MBs, and nobody matches up with Mason in WAC. Playing for Oregon the past two years, Mason did it against tough PAC 10 foes, barring any more injuries, she’s turning out to be that OH terminator the Wahine lacked in last year’s NCAA tourney. Prince and Sanders will continue to overwhelm WAC MBs, but after the 1st and 2nd round of the NCAAs, Kanoe will need pin-point passing to isolate her hitters to go deep into the NCAA tourney. Saturday’s up-and-down, ho-hum type of play will not do it.

Someday, the Wahine will lose a game against a WAC opponent—but not this year. I’ve posted earlier that NMSU might take the Wahine to the limit, and I’ve also posted that the Wahine might experience a little bump on the road against Utah State or Nevada. But this year, as in past years, the Wahine’s >talent, even with ho-hum type of games simply overwhelms <talented teams.

The KEY for other WAC teams to be successful against the Wahine, is recruiting. The Wahine’s programs sell itself. As Coach Shoji said in one of his shows, “we do not recruit unpublicized recruits”…like other perennial volleyball powers, unpublicized recruits walk-on to the program. The rest of the WAC (coaches) must do a better job recruiting publicized recruits (FAB 50s, the top 100 Senior Aces (250 listed) as listed by Prep Volleyball). As Coach Shoji said in one of his shows, "if not for that distance factor, kids wanting to play in front of their parents, and some kids simply wanting to go to Stanford, Hawaii has chance to land almost every they kid they go after". Isn’t Hawaii’s recruit for 2006, Amber Kaufman from Northern California? Did she even give a thought about playing for the home team, SJSU? Hawaii’s top players, given the chance (scholarship), plays for the Wahine…the other WAC schools have a almost no chance in keeping their publicized talents home. The volleyball rise to power for the University of Washington has been their success in keeping the publicized talents home…they have done that. Reality check for other WAC coaches, the NUMERO UNO recruit, the Megan Hodge (2006), the Alix Klineman (2007), the Wahine has a chance in landing…does other WAC teams have even a glimmer of a chance.

Game highlights from last Saturday’s game: The play of Ashley Watanabe and Jesse Shull…both Liberos played their hearts out, they gave up their bodies, they were awesome, they were worth the price of admission.

At this point of the season: 1st team All-WAC honors Kanoe Kamana’o, Victoria Prince, Juliana Sanders, Sarah Mason, 2nd team Susie Boogaard, Ashley Watanabe. All-Freshmen team: Jamie Houston...does she have enough playing time to meet the WAC's criteria?

Posting-All American numbers: 1st team Kanoe Kamana’o (best blocking setter, bar none), 2nd team Victoria Prince, and 3rd team or honorable mention AA, Juliana Sanders—she is getting better and better, game after game.

Can the Wahine go deep into the NCAA tourney? If the passing is precise, giving Kanoe 3 options to isolate her hitters, I don’t see why not. Against the likes of Nebraska, Washington, Penn State, Stanford, or any team deep into the NCAAs, the Wahine must click on all cylinders. When the cylinders are well oiled, and cranking cohesively, the Wahine has a chance. JMHO.

ally
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ally »

I don’t think the Wahine is winning because its opponents don’t believe they can beat our girls. That’s unacceptable.
Hawaii is winning because despite its vulnerabilities, it’s a team built to win. Despite its weaknesses, it is great. It’s been humbled a lot of times but it has proven its worth twice as many.
Yes, it doesn’t have a Kim Willoughby or a Lily Kahumuku anymore but it has an equally or even more powerful weapon that only few could see. The fact that Hawaii is not playing like the way it should is more scary than other people might be thinking. It’s not a sign of fragility. It means it’s still learning. So that when the time comes, it wouldn’t make the same mistakes again.
The team that embarrassed Nevada is a team that can win championships but the team that beat Utah State, San Jose and New Mexico is a team that can make wonderful things happen and leave a legacy that will live forever. If these two teams work together as one, an invincible team will take its place.
It’s very easy to see that despite its ups and down, Hawaii is a winner.
Volleyball is not all about talent. It only requires quarter of that. The other quarter is hardwork and the remaining two quarters is a lot of surprises!

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

its also about talent. look how much we have on the 2nd string. they were all fab 50, etc. they just aren't getting the pt because the starters are better. when we bring some of them in late in game 2 or 3, they still can compete with the opposing team's first string. if you take any of the wac teams and go past their starters, they have no one. i always notice that when i look at their bench and they have maybe 4 or 5 on the bench, and they never play. we probably have a second string of players that could be the first string on any other wac team.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

rayson
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by rayson »

It just seems to me that too often WAC teams tend to under perform when they play Hawaii and yes part of the reason for that is Hawaii is just better. But I also think another part of the reason is that they are all laboring under the burden of having never been able to beat the Wahine, or, with only a few exceptions, even come close.

seasider, despite her stats I’m still not very impressed by what I’ve seen of Keefe but you’re right that she deserves a chance to play more. And yes Hittle’s front row play has not improved much but I still haven’t given up hope yet.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

rayson wrote:It just seems to me that too often WAC teams tend to under perform when they play Hawaii and yes part of the reason for that is Hawaii is just better. But I also think another part of the reason is that they are all laboring under the burden of having never been able to beat the Wahine, or, with only a few exceptions, even come close.

seasider, despite her stats I’m still not very impressed by what I’ve seen of Keefe but you’re right that she deserves a chance to play more. And yes Hittle’s front row play has not improved much but I still haven’t given up hope yet.
I remember when Hawaii was in the Big West Conference with LBSU (Brian G.), Pacific (Dunning) and UCSB (Gregory), those games were dog fights. Why? Recruiting. Those three schools, espcially Pacific and LBSU were on equal footing with the Wahine when it came down to recruiting the publicized recruits. Bottom line, the rest of the WAC just can't do the job recruiting publicized recruits. Untill they get their share of publicized recruits, the beat goes on--101 wins and counting.

The 2nd best team in the WAC:

Wahine's 2nd stringers: Thurlby, setter; Arnott/Houston/Keefe, OHs; Gregory/Thomas, MBS.

Since Coach Shoji has set the line-up in stone (starting with the 3rd game on the road with NMSU), betcha, the Wahine's scrimmages are more competitive than conference games.

Even with a ho-hum type of game, the Wahine will sweep FSU this Saturday.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

seasider wrote:Wahine's 2nd stringers: Thurlby, setter; Arnott/Houston/Keefe, OHs; Gregory/Thomas, MBS.
The publicized status of the Wahine's 2nd stringers:

FAB 50s: Thurlby, Arnott, Houston, Thomas
Senior Ace top 100: #52, Jessica Keefe, Iowa's HS POY
Senior Ace next 150: Kari Gregory

Top Recruiting class

2002--#9. Hawaii -- Cayley Thurlby (RS in 2002), Suzi Boogaard

2003--#7. Hawaii -- Alicia Arnott, 5-11 MB, La Pietra (Honolulu HI); Kari Gregory, 6-3 OH, The Meadows School (Las Vegas NV); Kanoe Kamana’o, 5-8 S, Iolani (Honolulu HI)

Comment: The Wahine picked up three superb athletes in the Early Signing Period. JNT libero Kamana’o is the name, but the highly competitive trio should all make an early impact in Honolulu.

2004--#8. Hawaii – Tara Hittle, 6-0 OH, Doherty (Colorado Springs CO); Jessica Keefe, 6-1 MB, Ames (IA); Victoria Prince, 6-0 MB/RS, transfer from Washington State; Nickie Thomas, 6-3 MB, Westwood (Round Rock TX)

Comment: This class could hit big for the ‘Bows, but there are a lot of “Ifs” here. Hittle oozes athleticism and could be a stud now that she will be a volleyball-only player for the first time in her life. Keefe is a great athlete rehabbing a torn ACL, while Thomas has the size and lateral ability to be an impact middle. The key to the class may be the transfer Prince, who should give Hawaii two solid years once she knocks the rust off after a long layoff.

2005--#16. Hawaii -- Jamie Houston, 6-2 OH/MB, Huntsville (AL); Aneli Cubi-Otineru, 5-10 OH, Punahou (Honolulu HI)

Comment: The Rainbow Wahine graduated only one and she wasn’t an impact player and they added 6-3 Oregon transfer Sarah Mason, making it problematic that the Class of 2005 will shine right away for a team that was ranked No. 1 nationally for much of 2004. Houston is the biggest name of the two, a supreme athlete capable of playing anywhere along the front row who could, with time, develop into one of the finest terminators in the country. Otineru, a home-grown product, may not have the size to be a go-to attacker at this level, but her tremendous back row skill should land her on the court early in her Hawaii career.

NOTE: Top recruiting class for 2006, along with the FAB 50 listing, will most likely be posted sometime in the 1st quarter of next year.

The Wahine's recruiting class for 2006: Amber Kaufman, Dani Mafua, and Careena Onosai. Maybe another one if 13th scholarship passes legislation.

Senior Ace for 2006:

27. Danielle Mafua, 5-10 S, Mid-Pacific (Honolulu HI)
Jammers -- Hawaii

Mafua took a roundabout path to being the future at setter for the Rainbow Wahine. She was a basketball star for most of her young life, following in the footsteps of her father, Daniel. And when her attention turned to volleyball, it was as a hammer on the left side. Mafua began setting a year ago and has blossomed into one of the nation’s best. She is very athletic, jumps well, demonstrates soft hands and good set location, knows how to defend and has benefited from having played for years as an attacker. She will benefit some more once she enrolls at Hawaii, because she will have a year to watch and learn from All-American Kanoe Kamana’o.

25. Amber Kaufman, 6-1 MB, Branham (San Jose CA), Vision 17 – Hawaii

A breathtaking athlete, Kaufman gives new meaning to the term “quick middle.” She is a flash laterally and jumps explosively. A track star, Kaufman finished among the state’s top 10 last year in the high jump and long jump and plans to pursue those in college as well. Off of one foot, in front of or behind the setter, she simply cannot be stopped. Kaufman has worked hard the past couple of years to refine her skill set and knows there’s more work to do to reach her stratospheric ceiling. She should be ready to contribute immediately when she gets to Hawaii, where she has committed.

The next 150: Careena Onosai, 6-0 MB, Word of Life (Honolulu HI), Jammers -- Hawaii

Just a little tidbit: Juliana Sanders was recruied by North Carolina of the ACC, but choose to walk-on to the Wahine. She's now on scholarship.

Sarah Mason accepted a scholarship to Oregon State. I believe the Wahine had no scholarship available, and was asked to walk on. She would have been in that same class as Arnott, Kamana'o, and Gregory.

Hawaii's POY last year Tamari Miyashiro is a back-up setter for the Washington Huskies, backing up AA Courtney Thompson. If she had walked on to the Wahine's program, methink, she would be that starting Libero next year, or fight it out with Dani Mafua as the starting setter in 2007.

Aneli Cubi-Otineru was not eligible to enter UH. She's doing quite well on the JC route (Southern Utah). Methinks she'll be a Rainbow Wahine in the fall of 2007.

Careena Onosai, like Juliana, will be walking on to the Wahine. As a listed Senior Ace, I'm sure there were schools waiting in line with a scholarship in their hand.

Mona Ah Hoy (Kahuku), also listed in the Senior Aces, next 150--she took a recruiting trip to Nevada--mostly likely she'll be receiving a scholarship from Coach Scruggs.