Waianae vs Kapolei

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
oldskool2u
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Waianae vs Kapolei

Post by oldskool2u »

What a game, as with last week it was a game of 2 different halfs, looked to me that the home team was "pressing" and made a lot of mental errors early. Kapolei looked ready and "pumped" 2 play some ball, home team had the visitors in long yardage situations, but missed tackles and hard running kept drives alive. QB is solid for both teams, running game went to the home team, passing to the visitors, special teams - even.
2nd half home team made adjustments and dominated, smashmouth old school seariders football.
both teams had key players out, Akuna for the visitors and Tainelu for waianae.
Expect to see both teams in the playoffs.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Waianae vs Kapolei

Post by HRC Paul »

Here's the print version of the story. Three of the five OL starters for Waianae were new. One of them was a tight end early in the season.

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/2009 ... polei.html

bigbangahf
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bigbangahf »

Kapolei is a very scary team 2 play..........they got size, numbers, and talent............they will b very active in the playoffs

Waianae has started both of their first games slow and off........but wen they started 2 heat up their offense is as good as any in the state.........had trouble with the center and quarterback exchange, offensive line continued 2 shuffle the entire game (with 2 starters hurt), and hand offs 2 the backs were slow and inconsistant which resulted n2 back 2 back turnovers in waianaes first two posessions..........this team has great upside and potential..........best total talent ive seen in the past 5 years

STL79
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by STL79 »

bigbangahf wrote:Kapolei is a very scary team 2 play..........they got size, numbers, and talent............they will b very active in the playoffs

Waianae has started both of their first games slow and off........but wen they started 2 heat up their offense is as good as any in the state.........had trouble with the center and quarterback exchange, offensive line continued 2 shuffle the entire game (with 2 starters hurt), and hand offs 2 the backs were slow and inconsistant which resulted n2 back 2 back turnovers in waianaes first two posessions..........this team has great upside and potential..........best total talent ive seen in the past 5 years
Waianae is going to be tough to beat..Next weeks game against Kam is going to be game. If they stay healthy..I predict they will be in the OIA final.

hssportsfanatic
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hssportsfanatic »

I went to the game. Wow is all I can say about Keoni Napierala-Rose. He is a super talent. He is difficult to stop. He had over 100 yards rushing on just his touchdown runs. Other than a missed assignment on an option keeper where the Waianae quarterback ran for 67 yards, it was all Napierala-Rose for Waianae. He is one of the best n the state. Waianae has a tough defense that keeps playing harder every quarter. Kapolei's quarterback had an off night. He had time, and receivers were open, but he misfired. I am sure he can do better than that. In the first half, Kapolei looked like the better team, but in the second half, the Seariders wore them down when the Hurricanes kept going three and out on their possessions. Still a lot of rust, almost like pre-season in the many fumbles, etc. Kapolei had 8 turnovers-3 interceptions and five fumbles-that will almost always kill you. I think Waianae is the best team in the Red West.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

hssportsfanatic wrote:I went to the game. Wow is all I can say about Keoni Napierala-Rose. He is a super talent. He is difficult to stop. He had over 100 yards rushing on just his touchdown runs. Other than a missed assignment on an option keeper where the Waianae quarterback ran for 67 yards, it was all Napierala-Rose for Waianae. He is one of the best n the state. Waianae has a tough defense that keeps playing harder every quarter. Kapolei's quarterback had an off night. He had time, and receivers were open, but he misfired. I am sure he can do better than that. In the first half, Kapolei looked like the better team, but in the second half, the Seariders wore them down when the Hurricanes kept going three and out on their possessions. Still a lot of rust, almost like pre-season in the many fumbles, etc. Kapolei had 8 turnovers-3 interceptions and five fumbles-that will almost always kill you. I think Waianae is the best team in the Red West.
They always seem to have potential but really haven't had a team capable of winning the OIA since 2000. I think the 2006 fell asleep too often and failed to win the OIA because of that (the OIA and rather the whole state was rather weak that year). It'd be interesting to see this team face Kahuku should it come to that in the OIA tournament. I've got them over Kamehameha next week.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Eastside Hooligan
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: 49ers

Post by Eastside Hooligan »

I guess having all the DIV 1 prospects don't mean a thing unless you can pull it together......... As I mentioned before it is a team sport.

Congrats goes out to Waianae !!!! They are on the way back to the top ....... Watch out !!!!

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

HRC Paul wrote:Here's the print version of the story. Three of the five OL starters for Waianae were new. One of them was a tight end early in the season.

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/2009 ... polei.html

Correction — this was the online version. Like last week, there are no prep football stories in the Saturday print edition, but you can read this story online.

Sunday will feature a weekend wrap, including follow-up stories on Friday's featured games.

The stories and scores you want to read immediately are popping up instantly at http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com.

blueblood
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by blueblood »

tough lost and a hard fought battle for Kapolei. great win and excellant coaching from Waianae. i was at the game, and Kapolei had their chances to capitalize on offence. Waianae made needed adjustments at the half, and came out guns blazing. Kapolei NO answers for the onslaught and elected to stay in their adjustments w/o making game situation adjustments, Kaqpolei then lost contain and Waianae came obviously up on top. everybody on this thread pretty much summed the game up on here, i just wanted to put my spin on it cause i was there also.

this will be a even better game in the post season. Waianae was the better team that night, however Kapolei still has more football in them.

best of luck to all teams D1 and D2 alike, this season will not disapoint.

Kapolei has another road game, they'll play Iolani this week Saturday, at Iolani.

oldskool2u
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by oldskool2u »

Akuna coming back will help the Canes, as will Tanielu for Waianae. I see the Canes with a W against Iolani, Seariders vs Warriors should be good. Amina being back from injury and Kuiee -only a Jr- are two tough hard hitting safties. A healthy Tanielu will mean "trouble" along with Eleu Wilson and Kalei Hensley pick your "pioson" on who get double teamed. Bradda Paris coming around after being injured, Passi is tough, corners is smallish but fast & "bring the house" when time to hit. O-line is getting there, Molina and Makue(a pancake maker) are solid, Sadaraka needs help at times but can, Tau and Ashberry fill in good, Tanielu back on the o- line would do damage, he and wilson can go both ways on the line, first and goal w/the wishbone w/wilson & passi leading for Keoni or pule keeping is tough to stop. The Warriors will not have it as smooth as they did agaist Kailua.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

oldskool2u, awesome summary. One thing, though, is that Kamehameha might be less banged up (Hilo, Kailua) compared to Waianae (Saint Louis, Kapolei).

Then again, these guys are young and can heal quickly.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

hssportsfanatic wrote:I went to the game. Wow is all I can say about Keoni Napierala-Rose. He is a super talent. He is difficult to stop. He had over 100 yards rushing on just his touchdown runs. Other than a missed assignment on an option keeper where the Waianae quarterback ran for 67 yards, it was all Napierala-Rose for Waianae. He is one of the best n the state. Waianae has a tough defense that keeps playing harder every quarter. Kapolei's quarterback had an off night. He had time, and receivers were open, but he misfired. I am sure he can do better than that. In the first half, Kapolei looked like the better team, but in the second half, the Seariders wore them down when the Hurricanes kept going three and out on their possessions. Still a lot of rust, almost like pre-season in the many fumbles, etc. Kapolei had 8 turnovers-3 interceptions and five fumbles-that will almost always kill you. I think Waianae is the best team in the Red West.
kapakahi wrote:Heard from a friend (who has Waianae HS ties) that QB-turned-RB Keoni Napierala-Rose looked real good against Saints...both running the ball...and catching the ball. He tells me that Keoni might be a top all-purpose back in OIA Red this year...with good size, speed and running instincts.
That's what my friend was telling me about Keoni too from the Saint Louis game.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

hes about 210lbs right? maybe UH should take a look at him for RB. we dont have any young RBs except for a bunch of walkons and John Lister greyshirting (and greyshirting at UH isnt exactly a guarantee).
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

letsgobows wrote:hes about 210lbs right? maybe UH should take a look at him for RB. we dont have any young RBs except for a bunch of walkons and John Lister greyshirting (and greyshirting at UH isnt exactly a guarantee).
Keoni is listed at 6'0", 215 lbs....about 30 lbs more than last year when he played QB.

blueblood
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by blueblood »

kapakahi wrote:
letsgobows wrote:hes about 210lbs right? maybe UH should take a look at him for RB. we dont have any young RBs except for a bunch of walkons and John Lister greyshirting (and greyshirting at UH isnt exactly a guarantee).
Keoni is listed at 6'0", 215 lbs....about 30 lbs more than last year when he played QB.
this student athlete for Waiianae is badddddd. he has game day vision, and you can't coach that. he's just a natural runner. he looks like a Kealoha Pilares and a Kama Bailey style runner. best of luck to this guy the rest of the season. UH should jump on this guy quickly.