*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: Kajiyama: No harm intended

Post by wyokie »

uhwarrior23 wrote:From Brian Kajiyama:
“I appreciate the piece that E:60 produced that shared my life story. However, I was disappointed in any instances which coach Greg McMackin and the University of Hawai‘i program were negatively portrayed. That was not my intention. I appreciate the opportunity that Coach McMackin has provided me to continue being a part of the Warrior ‘ohana. I will continue to remain loyal to the University of Hawai‘i and will do my best in my new capacity.”
http://warriorbeat.honadvblogs.com/
There was more to the story than what ESPN portrayed. Godd call, BigWave. Seems like ESPN wanted to put JJ and JR in a more positive light than they should've.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Re: Brian Kajiyama story from ESPN

Post by H20 »

Well there was obviously more to the story. Like I said, we never find out in it how "it was handled".

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

H20 wrote:Well there was obviously more to the story. Like I said, we never find out in it how "it was handled".
Your version sounds better than mine.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

It's difficult enough to try to discern the facts from opinions in one's own experience, much less try to make judgement calls without hearing all sides to the story.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

BrianK
Insider
Insider
MLB: New York Yankees
NBA: Orlando Magic
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by BrianK »

Hello,

I appreciate ALL of the thoughtful posts about the story on E:60.

You've all seen the statement issued by the University on my behalf. That speaks for itself.

ESPN did a wonderful job with the story and I am honored they chose to share my story with the world. I regret that some might have interpreted the portrayal as a negative; that was never my intention to be a part of anything as such.

Please remember football is just ONE part of my life. There is so much more to my life than Warrior football. Though, I definitely appreciate being a small part in the lives of young men, who happen to be student-athletes.

I encourage you ALL to come together and support the players, Coach McMackin, and staff. We WILL be successful; just believe, as you did last season!

Sincerely,
Brian

*Edited for clarity*
Last edited by BrianK on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheresTheGreen
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by WheresTheGreen »

BrianK wrote:Hello,

You've all seen the statement issued by the University on my behalf. That speaks for itself.

You're also right in postulating that I won't say anything further until the time is right. ESPN did a wonderful job with the story and I am honored they chose to share my story with the world.

Please remember football is just ONE part of my life. There is so much more to my life than Warrior football. Though, I definitely appreciate being a small part in the lives of young men, who happen to be student-athletes.

I encourage you ALL to come together and support the players, Coach McMackin, and staff. We WILL be successful; just believe, as you did last season!

Sincerely,
Brian
Thank you Brian, we'll all be there - at least those of us who are not fair weather fans.

Glad to hear from you.

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Exiled »

Thanks Brian,

It really is good to hear from you.

And personally, I cannot think of a better role model for our players concerning their academics. One of the principle goals of the current head coach is to graduate all the players. Who better to inspire and support the players to push through their tired nights and study hard than a PhD candidate who has overcome many trials? Plus, if I am not mistaken, your area of expertise is in Education. I am not sure as to all that goes on in your new role, but, if it has to do with helping the kids to manage their academics, that role is vital to their future. I hardly consider that a small contribution!

Blessings!

bows54
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bows54 »

Here it is on YouTube, for those who missed it, or may want to watch it again.

Part 1

Link

Part 2

Link

:hello1:

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Phillies
NBA: None
NFL: Patriots

Post by krazychinaman »

BrianK wrote:Hello,

You're also right in postulating that I won't say anything further until the time is right. ESPN did a wonderful job with the story and I am honored they chose to share my story with the world.

Sincerely,
Brian
People if this is not enough reason for you to go out and cheer on the team then idk....idk...

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

I appreciate the opportunity that Coach McMackin has provided me to continue being a part of the Warrior ‘ohana. I will continue to remain loyal to the University of Hawai‘i and will do my best in my new capacity.”
Coach Mac should be lucky to have such a dedicated, hardworking (not to obviously extremely smart and talented) individual on his staff.

WarriorMojo
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by WarriorMojo »

BrianK wrote: You're also right in postulating that I won't say anything further until the time is right.
Brian, with all due respect, all this statement does is lead people to believe (1) that you do feel you got the shaft from Mack and (2) that you plan on raising the issue again at some point in the future (book? lawsuit?).

I'm not at all saying that you are wrong to handle it this way or that any further action on your part is unjustified. All I'm saying is that if you are trying to silence the controversy now, this might not really get us there.
Last edited by WarriorMojo on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UH Warrior fan for life, baby!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

WarriorMojo wrote:
BrianK wrote: You're also right in postulating that I won't say anything further until the time is right.
Brian, with all due respect, all this statement does is lead people to believe (1) that you do feel you got the shaft from Mack and (2) that you plan on raising the issue again at some point in the future (book? lawsuit?).
Brian, I have to agree with mojo on this. Remember I'm in a similar situation you're in so, that why I was extremely angry about this. Having a paying job taken away from you is not good especially when you did nothing to deserve it.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

WarriorMojo wrote:

I'm not at all saying that you are wrong to handle it this way or that any further action on your part is unjustified. All I'm saying is that if you are trying to silence the controversy now, this might not really get us there.
Where is this coming from? Is there more than this out there? There are many meanings this could take good and bad. If there is something wrong it should be taken care of right now not ten years from now. Unless your waiting for the end of the season? If it's bad there is no good time. Why wait?
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Paul B
All-American
All-American

Post by Paul B »

I don't understand why Aloha Stadium is "Exempt" from making the stadium accessible for disable persons. That is utter crap!!!! I hear of older buildings that have to adhere to the Federal law or suffer severe penalties.

I've read several stories about disabled individuals who have been trying to sue Aloha Stadium but have not been successful. This is a disgrace and impinges on one's civil rights and goes against policies as mentioned in the Americans With Disabilities Act. ADA act III Public accomodations policy mentions that access for disabled persons must be provided at recreational facilities and that includes sports stadiums!!! The case against the Aloha Stadium authorities is ongoing and dates back to the L & L restaurant ruling for access for individuals with disabilities back in 2000.

If Brian wants to bring that case back into the spotlight, please do. The Aloha Stadium authorities must provide access for disabled persons because it is the LAW. This case must be pursued again!!!!

One more thing, the story puts Mac in a negative light. Brian tried to deflect that by issuing a statement but the damage was already done. Mac didn't help himself by saying that Brian "has never been a coach" in his explanation which may be taken as "disrespect" by him (Brian) and his contribution to the team last year. Mac could have said it another way not to insult Brian. Whatever the case, the show was an eye-opener and raises some questions about Coach Mac.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Paul B wrote:I don't understand why Aloha Stadium is "Exempt" from making the stadium accessible for disable persons. That is utter crap!!!! I hear of older buildings that have to adhere to the Federal law or suffer severe penalties.

I've read several stories about disabled individuals who have been trying to sue Aloha Stadium but have not been successful. This is a disgrace and impinges on one's civil rights and goes against policies as mentioned in the Americans With Disabilities Act. ADA act III Public accomodations policy mentions that access for disabled persons must be provided at recreational facilities and that includes sports stadiums!!! The case against the Aloha Stadium authorities is ongoing and dates back to the L & L restaurant ruling for access for individuals with disabilities back in 2000.

If Brian wants to bring that case back into the spotlight, please do. The Aloha Stadium authorities must provide access for disabled persons because it is the LAW. This case must be pursued again!!!!

One more thing, the story puts Mac in a negative light. Brian tried to deflect that by issuing a statement but the damage was already done. Mac didn't help himself by saying that Brian "has never been a coach" in his explanation which may be taken as "disrespect" by him (Brian) and his contribution to the team last year. Mac could have said it another way not to insult Brian. Whatever the case, the show was an eye-opener and raises some questions about Coach Mac.
+1 on all points.