San Jose State Report

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
CoachKen
Insider
Insider

San Jose State Report

Post by CoachKen »

The Spartans are an interesting team with their share of PAC 10 transfers who can play football! This is a team that has consistently improved since its first game with UC Davis. They were down 10-0 when University of California transfer quarterback Kyle Reed, a junior took over and road the Spartans to victory 13-10. Against Nebraska it was a 14-12 ballgame with 12:17 left in the fourth quarter. They dominated San Diego State 35-10 and then led Stanford 10-0 through part of the second quarter. This game will be a battle, period!

San Jose Offense- They will run three wide and four wide but attempt to create space to run the football. The have several very good backs and although small, Yonus Davis (5’7” 186), is as good any anyone we will see. They are very effective at running inside and outside zone, counter and counter trap to slow down the pursuit of the defense. Their passing game is highly efficient with Cal transfer Kyle Reed (6’3, 215) completing almost 80% of his passes. By the way, he can also run the football very well! I think he is one of the best QBs we will see all year. UC Davis led The Spartans by 10 points when Reed first came in the game and proceeded to lead them to victory.

They have three very good receivers who catch the ball well and can run. Kevin Jurovich ( #6, 6’0” 183)...(has been effected by mono and status is unsure) and David Richmond (# 8, 6’4” 200) are the very effective targets. Couple all this with a solid offensive line and you have a balanced attack that can score on anyone (Ask Nebraska!)

How do you stop San Jose State’s offense? We can look to the 2nd quarter on of the Stanford game and you have your answer. They decided to come after the QB, sacked him eight times and the party was over. If you think you are going to play conservative defense against this offense, you will die a slow death of long drives and eating up the clock. They will reduce your offensive possessions dramatically if you set back and let them work their strong passing and running game.

San Jose Defense- They play solid but get very little recognition. Depth is a problem and this defense is banged up. I am impressed with linebacker Travis Jones and defensive end Carl Ihenacho (#95, 6’3” 245). He has a motor and regularly beats offensive linemen who are much larger. The secondary is led by Christopher Owens who will become the all time interception leader for the Spartans in the next few games. San Jose led Stanford early on based on the strength of this defense until they were just worn down. (lack of depth). They will give us underneath passes all day long in hopes we will stop ourselves.

What will be their game plan?

1. Attack our QB. If they succeed the game is over.
2. They will play man under secondary coverage with two deep safeties as a base hoping they get to the QB first. We will have to take advantage of stretching the safeties and the open spots it will create.
3. They will try to confuse our blocking by fake blitzes and off the edge hard rush. Look for the defensive ends to be positioned wide and an occasional blitz by a safety or outside backer.

Keys to victory for the Warriors:

1. Play mistake free football- Turn the ball over more than twice and it is a dogfight.
2. Offensive efficiency- no “three and outs.” We will have to score on most of our possessions.
3. We cannot play conservatively on either side of the ball. The defense has to be attacking constantly.
4. Turnovers- The one thing that has been lacking by our defense is turnovers. Turnovers come from a conscious effort to strip the ball and bone jarring tackles.
5. Play with passion! This is “the game” and we have to take all our heart and soul into the contest/war.

Anyone who thinks this will be an easy game, needs to by mentally evaluated. This is a very good football team, period.

The twelfth man for San Jose? Dick Tomey. He gets more out of players than any coach I have ever seen. He plays lots of kids because he knows the more kids you get into a game the more team passion and power you create. He is also willing to take chances and he will!

The twelfth man for Hawaii? All of us. If we start to boo our team or abandon them early, you are no Warrior, just a fair weather fan.

Never stop believing, play in the zone and we walk away with a close victory. Do the five things above and we win by two touchdowns. Don’t do them and it will be one of the longest nights ever in Aloha Stadium.

Coachken
Character, strength, and honor!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: San Jose State Report

Post by RedZone »

Against a Tomey team the special teams will definately have to step up their game. I look for Dick to try to control the game clock. I would like to see the UH defense get more turnovers.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kepaniamekolea
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by kepaniamekolea »

Thanks CoachKen!!! Lots of things I didn't know about San Jose State. Now I'm alittle worried, but I have faith. This MUST be the game that the team plays as a team and rides throughout the rest of the season. SP will have to play much much better then the three first games and the re-vamping of personnel with more "crazy" players as the coaches put it will make a big difference. Gotta play with passion... whoever wants it more will win this one I think.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

thank god dwight lowery graduated. haha, nah, but this game is big. i like our chances as long as tyler graunke's hand is good to go. he'll have to get the ball out quick, bc sjsu DL is pretty good and we cant afford to let tyler get hit this weekend.

other than that, coach covered everything in his 2 other threads. just lookin forward to this weekend now.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Now I know what to expect. Thanks CoachKen.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

LoneWarrior
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by LoneWarrior »

I hope our D attacks like the philidelphia eagles defense did when they played the stellers this past week.

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

Mahalo Coach as always!

I think this team has A LOT to make up for. Bad game all around at OSU and haven't really clicked a full 60 minutes yet this year. This team is a PISSED OFF team with a PISSED OFF coach. Coach Mack will have this team ready for this one. A lot at stake and I'm certain the team will step up! Home game with die hard home fans and Coach Tomey in the house? Oh yea...this one is one to look forward too.

More so my UH colors will be flying around San Jose this week!
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

Starter
Starter

Post by 1014 »

The808Chef wrote:Mahalo Coach as always!

I think this team has A LOT to make up for. Bad game all around at OSU and haven't really clicked a full 60 minutes yet this year. This team is a PISSED OFF team with a PISSED OFF coach. Coach Mack will have this team ready for this one. A lot at stake and I'm certain the team will step up! Home game with die hard home fans and Coach Tomey in the house? Oh yea...this one is one to look forward too.

More so my UH colors will be flying around San Jose this week!

Haha. so will mines. but somewhat discretely since i'm on sjsu campus. a couple of weeks ago i wore a UH jersey to work which is fine since it's a friday and i usually am hidden in the stacks of the library. the beginning of semesters is usually a busier time for me, so i like to dress super comfortable. unfortunately, i forgot my cell in my truck and had to take a trip across campus to the parking garage where i cross paths with some sjsu players. nothing but some head shaking and ribbing about my choice of wear. "take that mess off!" hahaha i do have a spartan jersey and a fitted cap, but blue and gold just doesn't look right on me.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Thank you for your observations and insight, Coach Ken. I think the key for this game is our QB play (which is an element of most of your keys/points). In the run and shoot, we can only go where the QB takes us. Hopefully Tyler is able to play, and if he isn't, Inoke/Greg/Brent need to be ready to rock and roll.

I remember Yonus Davis having a difficult time a couple of years back at Aloha Stadium because of our defensive penetration. If our defenders can put him in a closet again, there will be nowhere for him to go. SJSU's QB threw for a high completion percentage last week, but I think he did not pass for a lot of yards. Seems like he is new to Dick Tomey's system and threw a lot of short, safe passes while he learns/gets more comfortable in the offense (much like the OSU QB).
letsgobows wrote:thank god dwight lowery graduated.
I had the same thought. He has been a pain in UH's behind. I was happy to see him playing for the Jets yesterday.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

Coach, when teams used to go to the nickel against JJ, he didn't necessarily run every time, right? Didn't he pass anyway a bunch of the time, and if everyone was covered, the QB could either dump the ball off or run?
Substance matters.

Starter
Starter

Post by 1014 »

friends close to the team love kyle reed but thinks he holds the ball for way too long and eyes receivers.

CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Post by CoachKen »

technically with the run and shoot, a nickel defense should not matter with the option routes. June really didn't care what coverage you put at him, he just adapted and did his thing. I still think a huge factor that would make the run and shoot even more dangerous is the "no huddle."

Coach
Character, strength, and honor!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I thought we only ran more when the D was in a three man front and nothing to do with the DBs.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

1014 wrote:friends close to the team love kyle reed but thinks he holds the ball for way too long and eyes receivers.
Sounds Familiar :-

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

1014 wrote:friends close to the team love kyle reed but thinks he holds the ball for way too long and eyes receivers.
When I read this Veikune came to mind. Yeah hold that ball Kyle. :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: