Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Jeron Gouveia - Kurt's son

Post by Haynr8dr »

I didn't even know that Kurt had a son that was already eligible to play college ball. I guess UH was never interested in him, and/or Kurt is still bitter that UH didn't recruit him coming out of Waianae. The article also mentions a Landon Gouveia, an older son that transfered to another school from Hawaii :-? . BTW, Jeron is only entering his senior year of high-school this coming season. http://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/wb/118882

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

if kurt was bitter with uh, then landon probably wouldn't have walked on to uh.

jeron seems to be a top recruit and lives on the east coast. so i don't think hawaii was even on his radar.

thanks for the post though... it was interesting to know.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Kurt Gouveia was a GA at UH just a couple of years ago.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

If JJ, Miano, JR were coaching back then, I'm pretty darn sure they'd have recruited Kurt Gouveia - heavily. I remember him - vaguely - playing for Waianae as a QB and safety: He was the man.

niuwave
Starter
Starter

Post by niuwave »

It doesn't sound from the article that the son and father are very close ...

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Haynr8dr »

uhwarriors wrote:Kurt Gouveia was a GA at UH just a couple of years ago.
I forgot all about that. So much for my "bitter" theory.
niuwave wrote:It doesn't sound from the article that the son and father are very close ...
I caught that part too, Kurt referred to as the "biological" father that's no longer in the home.
Grinch wrote:If JJ, Miano, JR were coaching back then, I'm pretty darn sure they'd have recruited Kurt Gouveia - heavily. I remember him - vaguely - playing for Waianae as a QB and safety: He was the man.
Kurt was a big-time high-schooler with the Seariders.

But who could forget Kurt single-handley beating Raphael Cherry's Warriors when he played for bitter rival BYU - remember? With Cherry and the Warriors about to punch it in from inches away for the go-ahead score, and very little time left in the game, Kurt timed the snap perfectly, and with a running start he leaped over the offensive line and snuffed out Cherry short of the goal line. I remember where I was sitting as he did that.

And I think Kurt's play as an NFL'er has been overlooked. Specifically when the Redskins played the Bills in the SB, the Bills came out of the locker room at half-time trailing, but still a chance to get back into the game. Kurt quickly snuffed out all hopes of the Bills chances to win that SB with an interception on that first Bills drive that he took all the way back into the redzone. :-

DaveR
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Kurt Gouveia didn't make that play ...

Post by DaveR »

... a different BYU player did.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kurt Gouveia didn't make that play ...

Post by Haynr8dr »

DaveR wrote:... a different BYU player did.
Huh? I'm not sure what game you're talking about. The game I'm talking about is Kurt's BYU Cougars vs. Cherry's UH Warriors at Aloha stadium, and Kurt from his LB position made a play as I described in my post. From the endzone, he timed his leap and snuffed out UH's TD try.

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

Grinch wrote:If JJ, Miano, JR were coaching back then, I'm pretty darn sure they'd have recruited Kurt Gouveia - heavily. I remember him - vaguely - playing for Waianae as a QB and safety: He was the man.
One of the most prolific athletes ever to come out of hawaii IMO.
All state in football as safety and left handed QB, basketball and baseball i think - anyone confirm this?

He was only about 170 in highschool i think, but could hit like a truck. He had a great NFL career. If his son is anything lilke him, we need to get him.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Haynr8dr wrote:
DaveR wrote:... a different BYU player did.
Huh? I'm not sure what game you're talking about. The game I'm talking about is Kurt's BYU Cougars vs. Cherry's UH Warriors at Aloha stadium, and Kurt from his LB position made a play as I described in my post. From the endzone, he timed his leap and snuffed out UH's TD try.
I agree with Dave Reardon, it wasn't Kurt Gouveia who dove over the line and stuffed Raphael Cherry's QB sneak attempt at the goal line at the end of the 1984 game. It was another linebacker or maybe even a safety who did it.

jr97124
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by jr97124 »

First of all kurt was a stud in high school, second of all i was at byu Hawaii game and it was not kurt who made that unreal play.

jr97124 8)

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Haynr8dr »

uhwarriors wrote:I agree with Dave Reardon, it wasn't Kurt Gouveia who dove over the line and stuffed Raphael Cherry's QB sneak attempt at the goal line at the end of the 1984 game. It was another linebacker or maybe even a safety who did it.
Yes, my mistake. It was their safety Kyle Morrell or something like that. I spent a fr'ck'n hour trying to research it and found a write-up by some BYU author that described that play. :oops: For some reason it was burned in my memory that it was Kurt, and I've shared that same misinformation on other message boards. Along with the fact that Kurt won the State Championship as a Searider, a NCAA Championship as a BYU Cougar, and a NFL Championship as a Redskin.
On September 22, 1984, the BYU Cougars faced off against the Hawaii Rainbows in what Robert Anae called "a dog fight. We had to travel a great distance to play a team on the verge of being very good . . . At any play, at any moment, the tide could have turned and we would have walked away defeated."

BYU’s defense held the Bows on three goal-line situations. Craig Garrick suffered a knee injury. Robert Anae a broken finger, and the hard-fought game ended in a 18 to 13 win for the Cougars. Although now 4 and 0 on the season, the Cougars dropped to 8th in both the AP and UPI polls.

But the play still clear in the minds of BYU fans everywhere was Kyle Morrell’s miraculous leap. "Free safety Kyle Morrell, anticipating the count on a tense, goal-line stand, dives over the line at the snap, grabs Rainbow quarterback Raphael Cherry and slams him for a loss. Lore. Legend. A play that lives in infamy in Hawaii, and one cherished by Cougar fans [everywhere]. ‘It was no big deal, actually,’ Morrell remembers. Hawaii had blocked a punt for a touchdown and just finished blocking another and looked to score. ‘I was just trying to make a play. I didn't realize at the time how much would be made of it.’"

Bully808
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Da Flyin Hawaiian Phillie
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: NY Jets

Post by Bully808 »

Haynr8dr wrote:Along with the fact that Kurt won the State Championship as a Searider.
I was one behbeh lol when he played for waianae but heard stories of how good of a player he was. Lookout kahuku and St. louis the championship is coming back to Waianae in '07. :king: