Kīlauea Volcano

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kīlauea Volcano

Post by Kailuaboy »

America’s Most Hazardous Volcano Erupted This Year. Then It Erupted and Erupted.

A landmark study unspools a timeline of the most destructive eruption in recorded history of Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano.

By Robin George Andrews
December 12, 2018

A lava fountain on Hawaii's Kilauea volcano on May 18. The eruptions of this spring and summer destroyed more than 700 homes.
Mario Tama/Getty Images

On April 30, the Pu‘u ‘O‘o crater on Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano, suddenly collapsed. It was the starting point for the volcano’s
monthslong eruption, which went on to produce 320,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools’ worth of lava that transformed the
landscape and ultimately destroyed 700 homes.

Now the U.S. Geological Survey’s Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and other scientists have published the first detailed summary
of this paroxysm. The landmark study, published in the journal Science on Tuesday, unspools a timeline of this volcano’s most
destructive eruption in recorded history, and shows that it contained a combination of volcanic events that has seldom been observed.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Kīlauea Volcano

Post by cabanalane »

Good reading. Wow, didn't think this was the "most destructive eruption" in history (last 200 years). But I guess when you think back to when it started 1983, wow.

I love the Big Island, and would live there (when I retired). But this recent volcano action changed my mind, and that's too bad.

Love that golf photo, was that for real? Or photshop or camera tricks.
Last edited by cabanalane on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Cheap land made cheaper. Feel for those folks, but they chose to live in an active volcanic zone. And golfers are truly nuts. That photo did appear in the newspaper back then.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I've not kept up, or maybe the news don't cover it anymore. But did some residences return to their home? Or I should say those who's houses were unaffected. Or were affected but the lava flow missed?

BTW, or is the lava flow still going, and it's not newsworthy anymore?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 am I've not kept up, or maybe the news don't cover it anymore. But did some residences return to their home? - yes, if they have road access Or I should say those who's houses were unaffected - yes. Or were affected but the lava flow missed - I have not heard, but depends on road access?

BTW, or is the lava flow still going, and it's not newsworthy anymore? - no longer flowing
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.