Dickey's BBQ coming to Kapolei

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Dickey's BBQ coming to Kapolei

Post by Irse »

Hope it's good. Been waiting for a good BBQ to open.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Dickey's BBQ coming to Kapolei

Post by My3Cats »

Sad that most locals don't know what a good barbecue is, except the places that have kalbi. The few places that I've tried on Oahu rarely had any local customers, mostly mainland/military. Molly's moved from Wahiawa to the Barbers Point Golf Course and took over the restaurant location there. Got to order take out when I had to go there for business once, but otherwise she's out of the way for me. My first encounter with barbecue was several years ago in Portland, OR when a friend took me to a "soul food" (his explanation) restaurant and it was great. Besides Molly's we probably only have Dixie Grill and Tony Roma's in Waikiki since the Tony Roma's in Aiea closed. Definitely need to try Dickeys some day.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

IMHO, Dickeys aint so good. Gotta go with Hicks BBQ in Texas. I can give you a recipe for ribs if you like especially since this year pork ribs is especially cheap because of the China tariff war.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:08 pm IMHO, Dickeys aint so good. Gotta go with Hicks BBQ in Texas. I can give you a recipe for ribs if you like especially since this year pork ribs is especially cheap because of the China tariff war.
Wouldn't mind a recipe for ribs
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm Sad that most locals don't know what a good barbecue is, except the places that have kalbi. The few places that I've tried on Oahu rarely had any local customers, mostly mainland/military. Molly's moved from Wahiawa to the Barbers Point Golf Course and took over the restaurant location there. Got to order take out when I had to go there for business once, but otherwise she's out of the way for me. My first encounter with barbecue was several years ago in Portland, OR when a friend took me to a "soul food" (his explanation) restaurant and it was great. Besides Molly's we probably only have Dixie Grill and Tony Roma's in Waikiki since the Tony Roma's in Aiea closed. Definitely need to try Dickeys some day.
I agree. I grew up in Memphis and also lived in Texas for 6 yrs. So I grew up around BBQ. To me, Molly wasok, I don't care for Dixie Grill and Roma's
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Read in Yelp that Molly's Barber's Point is closed. Food service industry is really tough with the low margins making profit difficult. Molly's problems were sometimes inconsistent food quality and definitely customer service was a killer, and I experienced this at her Wahiawa location. There is supposed to be a place in Aiea that some Yelpers say is good, but the prices seems kinda high, especially for lunch, so I doubt that I'll go there any time soon.

Irse

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:50 pm Read in Yelp that Molly's Barber's Point is closed. Food service industry is really tough with the low margins making profit difficult. Molly's problems were sometimes inconsistent food quality and definitely customer service was a killer, and I experienced this at her Wahiawa location. There is supposed to be a place in Aiea that some Yelpers say is good, but the prices seems kinda high, especially for lunch, so I doubt that I'll go there any time soon.
I heard she went back to Texas and her son took over. Maybe quality went down after that.
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Irse wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:57 am Hope it's good. Been waiting for a good BBQ to open.
ill give it a try a month or so after they open and report back

Irse

Post by Irse »

ubercow wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 pm
Irse wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:57 am Hope it's good. Been waiting for a good BBQ to open.
ill give it a try a month or so after they open and report back
I hope they don't jack up the prices like Five Guys.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Hughley's Southern Cuisine, across ProCamera Hawaii, in Aiea, suppose to be good eats

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

I like Bob's Bar-Be-Que at the corner of Dillingham and Waikamilo. It's an old school drive-in.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

We talking Southern or Local BBQ?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

ubercow wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 pmill give it a try a month or so after they open and report back
drove by a couple weeks back, people were standing outside the door at 2-3pm. also noticed that sundays (the only day i'd go) is "kids eat free" day. so the likelihood of a report from me other than maybe takeout is now slim to none.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Saw the lines. May be a while before I eat there.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Irse wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:01 pm Saw the lines. May be a while before I eat there.
That's Hawaii people. Mob the new places at the beginning just to say that they were there. Remember when some KMart's had grand openings? People flocked from all over the island even though they already had a KMart in their neighborhood, just so that they could get a free hot dog. Cinnabon (are they still around?) had lines for days, until there were no more lines to be seen.