Chicago / Eagles / Journey Poll

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!

Chicago, Eagles, or Journey. Who's the best band of this late 70s trifecta?

Chicago
38%
Eagles
38%
Journey
25%

Total votes: 8

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Chicago / Eagles / Journey Poll

Post by ubercow »

Was listening to pandora the other day in the shower and these three bands came up in a row. I can see a similarity, all three made it big slightly before my time, each with a really good greatest hits album that kinda makes you want to karaoke. Now the hard question, which band is the best of this late 70s trifecta. I'll post and vote on this later.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Chicago / Eagles / Journey Poll

Post by unpaid »

All three bands are legends.Iam going to go with a combination of longevity and,number of band members who went on to solo success. Eagles come out ahead of Chicago and Journey.

Tequila Sunrise is one of my karaoke songs even though Lights comes in slightly behind the Eagles song.

Excuse me,have to go to play stuff by all three now.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Out of those three, I like Journey the best followed by the Eagles. Never really cared for Chicago.
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

if it was 15 years ago, I would probably say the eagles. but then I think I listened to their stuff so much so that I don't enjoy listening to it anymore. I currently would place Chicago and Journey right about even, but give the slightest bump to Journey at the moment cuz the pineda story brought a positive bump to their band and makes them feel more current.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

ubercow wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:02 pm if it was 15 years ago, I would probably say the eagles. but then I think I listened to their stuff so much so that I don't enjoy listening to it anymore. I currently would place Chicago and Journey right about even, but give the slightest bump to Journey at the moment cuz the pineda story brought a positive bump to their band and makes them feel more current.
But the question is which band is the best of this late 70s trifecta, and while I will say is that Journey didn't hit their stride until Greg Rollie left the band and Jonathan Cain stepped in ( early 80s)...The Eagles were soaring, but they were America's cheap imitation of British rock bands like Led Zepplin, Queen, Rolling stones, Deep Purple,etc.
CHICAGO on the other hand really was at their best in the late 69's through the 70s , and to me their carreer musicology developed and changed after the seventies. I would rate CHICAGO 1, EAGLES 2, and JOURNEY 3. :hello1:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

My taste for music is definitely the Eagles. In my music collection however I do have a bit of Chicago 4 CDs and Journey 3 CDs but I have almost everything the Eagles did plus some of their solo stuff afterwards. I also have nearly everything Led Zepellin, Santana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CSNY, Fleetwood Mac, Traffic and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ever did. Then there's the 80's :)
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I voted Eagles.
Chicago was only good for "Slow Dance" at socials :o =; :lol: :love7:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 pm I voted Eagles.
Chicago was only good for "Slow Dance" at socials :o =; :lol: :love7:
I think all three are remember for what they do best, but it was also their downfall. I'm not going to check my spelling. They kicked out Peter Cetera because Chicago was going soft and slow.

The same with Styx. They kicked out Dennis DeYoung because the music was not "rock & roll" and too many love songs.

Journey had that balance. But Steve Perry deal was another story.

I often don't undersand why bands just can not get along. It's about the music, the business.

The best example was C&K I recall. You can tell they don't "like" each other, but are together on stage. Everyone once in a while, you see that magic, when they looked at each other and jam. That magic from the 70s.

This was 20 years ago in LA area. And C was not in jail. Not to go OT, but kind of sad. Sometimes I don't get why celebrities do what they do. No make sense.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Celebrities and musicians aren't who they are because they are perfect human beings. They are probably more likely to have problems and this is part of what makes them celebrities and musicians. I guess those of us who have no clue think what a great life they have but for the vast majority that is so far from reality. They have to spend endless time with each other when they disagree on how that time should be spent or who should get how much money for it. Many of them resort to drugs and alcohol to keep going since the reality of their situation is too difficult for them to manage. Stars have big egos and there is often not enough room for the huge egos in a group to all fit together in the same room or on the same stage. I am on a biography reading binge lately reading about rock and roll stars. If you envy them you should read a few. Currently in the news Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey Buckingham is suing Fleetwood Mace because they kicked him out of the band because Stevie Nicks said he goes or I go and I guess they all like Stevie better or maybe because she is a bigger star than all the rest of them put together. If any of you are interested I read biographies on David Crosby, Graham Nash, Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, Levon Helm, Robbie Robertson, Stevie Nicks, Tom Petty, Billie Idol, Cherrie Currie, Eric Clapton, Anthony Kedis, Jimmy Page, Buffy Saint Marie, Carole King, Carly Simon, Chrissy Hyndes, Bruce Springsteen, Duane Allman, Keith Richards, Ann and Nancy Wilson....can't recall any more
Ohana Makou

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yeah, I don't get the Fleetwood Mac thing. Even at 70 years old (don't know their ages, but same smell), they act like children.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

To be a star you almost have to be defective. You have to put up with a huge pile of nonsense, photographers invading your life, all kinds of people want stuff from you, you may get paid but not what you might think you are worth. You have to be a bit crazy to want that. Most of them are a bunch of control freaks and prima donnas and fight over how stuff gets done because they all feel they are more important. Lindsey Buckingham was instrumental in making songs that Stevie Nicks wrote into hits and because of this he demands to be in control of the music. Stevie Nicks on the other hand has learned to live without Lindsey's control freakness and has her own control freakness. On stage they act like they care about each other but in real life they are ex's and can't stand to be with each other.
Ohana Makou

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

dakineguy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:46 pm On stage they act like they care about each other but in real life they are ex's and can't stand to be with each other.
Yeah, in concerts (long ago), the way she looked at him it's like you guys need to take this behind stage or maybe after the concert back at the hotel?

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:49 am
dakineguy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:46 pm On stage they act like they care about each other but in real life they are ex's and can't stand to be with each other.
Yeah, in concerts (long ago), the way she looked at him it's like you guys need to take this behind stage or maybe after the concert back at the hotel?
Other than early on in their career in Fleetwood Mac they have serious issues with each other yet could fake it pretty well for the love songs. It's all part of the show they put on for the fans sort of like fake wrestling :lol:
Ohana Makou

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Rockstar bands get put under a lot of pressure early on in life. I used to watch a lot of VH1 Behind the music. There were a few consistent themes.

1. The famous groups got popular in their late teens to early twenties. So,basically they were not prepared for what was coming their way once they went worldwide.

2.Almost without exception,all the bands got out of their contract with the first record label who signed them.They realized they were getting ripped off financially and switched labels. Teenager s and 21-22 year olds don't have the best business sense.But after a few year s at the start realizing they should have been a little more picky,they got a better deal with the next label they signed on with.

3.Yeah,people are people.Artists are a volatile mix . Sometimes it becomes about who has "the final say" as opposed to "is our music appealing?"

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

That's partly why we don't have "good" music today. The Artists have too much control. Some may say, rightfully so, but sometimes they need the Label to tell them what to do, what's good for them, what the radio stations will play, and what song will sell. Or who they need to pair up with.

Often times now, they do what they want, and the result is not what fans want.