Hope everyone on the Big Island stays safe

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Hope everyone on the Big Island stays safe

Post by wyokie »

Just read that Kilauea is erupting worse than normal.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Hope everyone on the Big Island stays safe

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

wyokie wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 am Just read that Kilauea is erupting worse than normal.
:o In all the years that I've seen Kilauea erupting, what's going on in PUNA is so unreal. NOT just the venting but the massive amount of LAVA flow is worst than when Kilauea swallow up Kalapana....the hard part is the displacement of great many of families and farming communities that the BIG ISLAND( or any other islands for that matter) doesn't have anywhere to offer. There's not much to lease or rent from the state, and PARKER ranch lands have been selling off. :read: :(
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:45 am
wyokie wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 am Just read that Kilauea is erupting worse than normal.
:o In all the years that I've seen Kilauea erupting, what's going on in PUNA is so unreal. NOT just the venting but the massive amount of LAVA flow is worst than when Kilauea swallow up Kalapana....the hard part is the displacement of great many of families and farming communities that the BIG ISLAND( or any other islands for that matter) doesn't have anywhere to offer. There's not much to lease or rent from the state, and PARKER ranch lands have been selling off. :read: :(
I just hope Kilauea doesn't really erupt like St. Helens did in 1980 (still remember that). It would be a logistics nightmare to get roughly 200,000+ people off the island ASAP!!!!!

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

wyokie wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 am I just hope Kilauea doesn't really erupt like St. Helens did in 1980 (still remember that). It would be a logistics nightmare to get roughly 200,000+ people off the island ASAP!!!!!
:-? The two events of St. Helens and Kilauea is totally different, and I don't see the STATE or the Federal GOV telling 200,000 to evacuate the island...besides who's going to tell BIG ISLAND KURT to leave? :lol: :roll:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:30 am
wyokie wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 am I just hope Kilauea doesn't really erupt like St. Helens did in 1980 (still remember that). It would be a logistics nightmare to get roughly 200,000+ people off the island ASAP!!!!!
:-? The two events of St. Helens and Kilauea is totally different, and I don't see the STATE or the Federal GOV telling 200,000 to evacuate the island...besides who's going to tell BIG ISLAND KURT to leave? :lol: :roll:
You got a point...sadly. Then again, even when the state govt. in Washington told everyone near St. Helens to hi-tail it a few stayed so.....

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

wyokie wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 am You got a point...sadly. Then again, even when the state govt. in Washington told everyone near St. Helens to hi-tail it a few stayed so.....
:roll: Now, there are people who have been cut off from the LAVA Flow, so they have to be rescued by a helicopter.... :-({|= :oops: [-X

Hiloman
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Hiloman »

My cousin lost a house in Leilani. My other cousin was the commander there. The scary thing is if Mauna Loa erupts. It would destroy Hilo. In 1984, Mauna Loa's eruption stopped 5 miles short of Hilo. The other possibility, although very small is the Hilina Slump. With all the fissues going, there is a small possibilty the Kilauea area can collapse, and in doing so would cause a massive tsunami, 500-1000 ft. which would hit the west coast. Hopefully this will never happen.