I'm 10% Polynesian - DNA test

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

I'm 10% Polynesian - DNA test

Post by cabanalane »

I had a DNA test done. I didn't know I am 10% Polynesian. Everything else line up to the T. All the test could tell me is "Polynesian," but could not be more specific. It includes Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, New Zealand, and everything else "Polynesian." As we all know there is a big difference between someone from Palau vs Tonga. Where do I go from here. None of my relatives know anything about it. I don't think it's a mistake because everything else is spot on. The Asian, the European, etc.

If it's 10%, correct my math, I'm guessing someone was Polynesian 5 gen ago? But yet, I find it hard to divide by 2. Can someone help me with the math part?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: I'm 10% Polynesian - DNA test

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote:I had a DNA test done. I didn't know I am 10% Polynesian. Everything else line up to the T. All the test could tell me is "Polynesian," but could not be more specific. It includes Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, New Zealand, and everything else "Polynesian." As we all know there is a big difference between someone from Palau vs Tonga. Where do I go from here. None of my relatives know anything about it. I don't think it's a mistake because everything else is spot on. The Asian, the European, etc.

If it's 10%, correct my math, I'm guessing someone was Polynesian 5 gen ago? But yet, I find it hard to divide by 2. Can someone help me with the math part?
I would think it's really hard to determine how many generations ago that the Polynesian was introduced into your blood line because it depends on the percentage Polynesian in that person. The more Polynesian, the further back it could be.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

How interesting! 10% seems like an odd percentage. Could be that at least two ancestors had some Polynesian blood to account for that percentage.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

from what i've read, the non-european results from those tests may not be the most accurate due to the limited test pool they have taken from so far. so what I'm trying to say is, they probably found some polynesian markers in there, but I'd probably round out the 10% to 1/8th or 1/16th.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

True. The "European" part goes into super detail like French-German 5%, Italian 2%, Irish 5%, etc, etc. The Asian side is just one lump sum. Ok, I could be Japanese, Chinese or Korean. But the "Asian" part I know is Chinese cause my last name, so no question there. The Polynesian part is more diverse. So yeah, they need more sample there. And maybe ID it better.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Dna that you have doesn't necessarily indicate racial heritage because there are no genes specific to only one race. Where you got the genes you have can not be determined by the tests. Also after a few generations you may not have any genes from a particular ancestor. It's meant to be for fun and not anything serious
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

That's true. It is for fun. And maybe only cover mostly the current generations. I think my great-great grand kids would be less than 1% Polynesian. And that may not matter to them at all.

I once met a "haole" guy on the mainland who said he was a descendant of Kamehameha linage. Blonde, blue eyes, etc. "pure white guy" looking. I don't recall or know enough about Hawaiian history to confirm. He just kind of fire off his family history with names and locations. And it sounded legit because it wasn't just famous names from history books.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:53 pm That's true. It is for fun. And maybe only cover mostly the current generations. I think my great-great grand kids would be less than 1% Polynesian. And that may not matter to them at all.

I once met a "haole" guy on the mainland who said he was a descendant of Kamehameha linage. Blonde, blue eyes, etc. "pure white guy" looking. I don't recall or know enough about Hawaiian history to confirm. He just kind of fire off his family history with names and locations. And it sounded legit because it wasn't just famous names from history books.
A lot of people claim they're something that they're not. Elizabeth Warren's Native American, remember? lmao.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

BTW, which test kit did you use? Ancestry, 23 and ME or whatever that name is or something else? I'm just curious. Thanks.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Ancestry kits are apparently good indicators but are not necessarily accurate. A TV show tested identical triplets and confirmed they were identical triplets. But their specific ancestry breakdowns differed.
Although all three triplets have 99 percent European ancestry, the specific results for areas of Europe disagree among the sisters by as much as 10 percent. Some of them show more English and Irish ancestry, another more French and German.

“It's shocking!” one triplet says.
https://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/3 ... o-the-test

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:27 pm BTW, which test kit did you use? Ancestry, 23 and ME or whatever that name is or something else? I'm just curious. Thanks.
I went with Ancestry DNA. I paid full price $99. But over Christmas time, we got one for my wife at $69. So they do go "on-sale" if no rush.

https://www.ancestrydna.com/kits/?s_kwc ... arch+Brand

My wife took hers. And it was pretty much spot on too, base on what her family know.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

uhwarriors wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 pm Ancestry kits are apparently good indicators but are not necessarily accurate. A TV show tested identical triplets and confirmed they were identical triplets. But their specific ancestry breakdowns differed.
Although all three triplets have 99 percent European ancestry, the specific results for areas of Europe disagree among the sisters by as much as 10 percent. Some of them show more English and Irish ancestry, another more French and German.

“It's shocking!” one triplet says.
https://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/3 ... o-the-test
As I finding more about that, two siblings don't necessary have the exact %. So it's a guide for most, really. I'm guessing as races mix, this will be more common.

Using my wife's example. She is part Native American. We have "papers" when her ancestors was 100%. So by math, her aunt should be 12.5%. Her aunt's test result came back 8%. (So guessing my wife's father would be the same) My wife's number is 3%. So we can say, that's close enough.