R.I.P. Mr. Spock

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

R.I.P. Mr. Spock

Post by Irse »

ImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: R.I.P. Mr. Spock

Post by Kailuaboy »

What Killed 'Star Trek' Star Leonard Nimoy: The Common Lung Condition COPD Explained

Amy Rushlow
February 27, 2015

As the highly intelligent character Spock in Star Trek, Leonard Nimoy delighted fans and
audiences for decades. (Photo: CBS via Getty Images)

Leonard Nimoy, an actor beloved by fans as the iconic character Spock in the original Star Trek television show and films, has died of lung disease at age 83, The New York Times reports.

Nimoy publicly confirmed last year that he suffered from the lung condition chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the No. 3 killer in America. Nimoy was hospitalized last week after complaints of severe chest pain.

COPD actually refers to two conditions, chronic bronchitis and emphysema, that often occur together. The disease makes it harder to breathe over time because less air comes in and out of the airways. This could be due to mucus clogging up the lung’s air tubes, thickened or inflamed airways, or damage to the walls between the airways. COPD can also involve damage to the lung tissues where oxygen is exchanged.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

:( Sadness.....Leonard Nimoy was VASTLY UNDERRATED as a director and talent. STAR TREK IV coming home movie is still one of my favorites!! He directed it.....but because he WAS Spock, people didn't see him being more....live long and prosper. \:D/
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote::( Sadness.....Leonard Nimoy was VASTLY UNDERRATED as a director and talent. STAR TREK IV coming home movie is still one of my favorites!! He directed it.....but because he WAS Spock, people didn't see him being more....live long and prosper. \:D/
Nimoy said it best himself. Because of Spock, he had a career.

RIP Mr. Nimoy.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Live Long and Prosper Mister Spock.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Read Leonard Nimoy's 1968 Words of Wisdom to a Mixed-Race Teen

By Robert Kessler
February 27, 2015 3:06 PM

Leonard Nimoy (Getty Images)

Leonard Nimoy, who passed away Friday at the age of 83, was best known for his portrayal of Spock on Star Trek. In addition to the legions of Star Trek fans who revered him, Spock and, by extension Nimoy, was considered a hero by many people who'd ever felt different.

In 1968, one of those people, a teenaged girl whose mother was black and whose father was white, wrote to Fave magazine asking Spock, who was half-human, half-Vulcan, how he'd handled the rejection of not fitting in. Nimoy was so moved by the letter that he penned a response, which Fave then published the following month. Nimoy's letter is both touching and inspiring.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

See Leonard Nimoy Become Spock for the Last Time

Gwynne Watkins
March 3, 2015

In his final years, Leonard Nimoy warmed the hearts of millions of Star Trek fans by returning to the role that made him famous. These incredible photos (via imgur) show Nimoy getting into his Spock makeup for the last time, in preparation for a cameo in Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013).

Nimoy, who died last week at age 83, created the role of hyper-logical, unfailingly loyal first officer Spock for the original Star Trek television series, which ran from 1966 to 1969. He went on to reprise the role in the first six Star Trek feature films, two of which he directed. Then, in 2009 — eighteen years after Spock’s last film appearance — Nimoy donned the pointed ears for J.J. Abram’s big-screen reboot Star Trek. In that film, Nimoy played an elder Spock from an alternate timeline, passing the torch to his younger self (Zachary Quinto). The real-life friendship between the two Spocks was one reason that Nimoy returned for Abrams’ 2013 sequel, Star Trek: Into the Darkness.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

great read Kailuaboy, thanks! God Bless Mr. Spock!!!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Star Trek Online's Memorial For Leonard Nimoy Is Here And Perfect

James Whitbrook
March 5, 2015

When Leonard Nimoy passed away last week, the internet was heaving with tributes for the Star Trek star. Now Nimoy has been immortalized in an official Star Trek product — the massively mulitiplayer role-playing game Star Trek Online.

Two statues have been added to the long-running Star Trek MMO to commemorate the actor's passing. Nimoy provided voice work for the game not just as Spock, but as a narrator as well, providing a small description of a new region of space whenever a player entered it for the first time. Here's a short video released when the game first came out in 2010:

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Remembering Lenny: A Family Friend Recounts the Story of Leonard Nimoy Boldly Going to Hollywood

By Leslie Parker
March 5, 2015

Leslie Parker's father with family friend Leonard Nimoy and his wife, Susan Bay

Yahoo Music managing editor Lyndsey Parker was vaguely aware of her family ties to the Star Trek legacy, but it was only after Leonard Nimoy's death last week, when her mother began posting childhood anecdotes on Facebook, that she realized it was her own grandfather, an actor himself, who helped launch Nimoy's career. Here, Leslie Parker reflects on Nimoy's humble Boston community theater beginnings and the electric blue '49 Ford that eventually led to his ride on the Enterprise.

My earliest memories of Leonard Nimoy go back to the 1950s, when I was about 6 years old. He and my father, Henry, became close friends while doing amateur acting at the Peabody and West End Playhouses in the West End of Boston. "Lenny," as he was then known, used to visit us almost nightly, as my dad had been coaching him in diction and readying him for declamation contests. Years later, when I'd hear Leonard Nimoy's booming, authoritative, instantly recognizable voice narrating the paranormal TV series In Search Of, I'd remember my father's diction lessons and feel a slight sense of pride by association.

Read more:
Last edited by Kailuaboy on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Watch Zachary Quinto's touching tribute to friend Leonard Nimoy

by Anthony Domanico
March 18, 2015

On Tuesday's episode of "Conan," Zachary Quinto, who played Spock on film, celebrated the full and beautiful life of his mentor and friend Leonard Nimoy.

Link

It was Spock on Spock as Zachary Quinto offered a touching tribute to the life of Leonard Nimoy on "Conan" Tuesday. Quinto, who took over the role of Spock with the "Star Trek" reboot in 2009, talked of his close friendship with Nimoy, who passed away at the age of 83 on February 27.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Trimbles' Close Encounters with Nimoy

By Bjo & John Trimble
March 18, 2015

“Leonard was able to touch so many lives through his acting and in the way he reached out to people.”—Russ Trowbridge, Salt Lake City

Star Trek fans have been contacting us to ask how we are taking the death of Leonard Nimoy. Actually, we didn’t really know him very well. Our first encounter was when we first visited the Star Trek sets on the Desilu Studio lot, and he ignored us completely. Nimoy and Shatner had been warned about fans becoming persistent pests, or worse. So they avoided fans in those early days.

Still, we enjoyed watching Leonard Nimoy in character whenever we could visit the set. He had a dual problem: his character was stoic and withdrawn, and he had deal with sci-fi technobabble. Nimoy’s difficulty with nonsense words shows in “The City on the Edge of Forever,” where Spock kept saying ‘menomic’ instead of ‘mnemonic’ and the horned ape-beast in "A Private Little War" was called a ‘gumato’ in the script, but Spock kept referring as ‘mugato’: the name stuck. He was not alone in this problem with alien words, as we have seen through so many Trek series and movies.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage