Best Places to eat in Vegas?

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Best Places to eat in Vegas?

Post by 808Hawaii »

I'm going to Vegas over the MLK weekend. It's been over a decade since I've been to Vegas. What's to see for non-gamblers? Best deals on food? Thanks guys.
I am the one who knocks.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: Best Places to eat in Vegas?

Post by ubercow »

some food recommendations:
first an oldie, oxtail soup at the california hotel (market street cafe, after 11pm)
some pizza at pizza rock (downtown), or secret pizza in the cosmo (decent new york style slice)
tacos el gordo on charleston (be ready for some heavy accents but some really good tacos)

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

:wink: May I suggest Maestro's in Aria Hotel......seafood tower is a killer. \:D/
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Back in the 1970s, there was a place downtown that was famous for their 25 cents shrimp cocktail. Anyone know the name of the place?
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

My wife just returned from Sin City on what turned out to be a mini family reunion of sorts. They all stayed at the California and had the meal packages. Almost all, if not all of the family, especially those who have lived on the mainland for many eons, as well as all of the local from Hawaii relatives were very happy with their California Hotel and Main Street meals. My wife called it bad coffee shop food and likened it to be of less quality and taste than Zippy's. No one wanted to go to the Strip to eat with my wife because they did not want to spend the money, so she was not all that happy about the meal time situation (and we're not talking about the high makamaka type restaurants that she was interested in, just something better than bad coffee shop food). I'm glad that I didn't go, but if I did, my wife and I would have left everyone else behind and ate elsewhere. You only live once, and travel is rare. Food quality and taste count for me, not the cheap and plentiful but tasteless stuff.

808Hawaii - I hope that you are able to find something good to eat. And please report back to us!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Leaving for Vegas tomorrow. Decided to save money this trip. When I received my credit card bill after last trip, I was shocked how high it was, mostly from eating.

Will hit Five Guys, maybe Hash House A-Go-Go. Sonic slush floats.
I am the one who knocks.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

808Hawaii wrote:Will hit Five Guys, maybe Hash House A-Go-Go. Sonic slush floats.
for fast food, five guys's burgers are quite tasty, although a bit greasy. and sonic's drinks are pretty good, but you could probably skip on their food, maybe check out an in-n-out.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

ubercow wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:Will hit Five Guys, maybe Hash House A-Go-Go. Sonic slush floats.
for fast food, five guys's burgers are quite tasty, although a bit greasy. and sonic's drinks are pretty good, but you could probably skip on their food, maybe check out an in-n-out.
No kidding. The Sonic food sucks. I've never tried it but just looking at it, can tell.

Will probably hit IN-N-OUT. Will ask locals for the best pizza place and cheap buffets. May hit Oyshi Sushi's buffet. 8) Maybe Bachi Burger.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

BTW 808Hawaii, how was Vegas?

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:BTW 808Hawaii, how was Vegas?

Stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Suites on the Strip, just past Circus Circus. We really skimped on the quantity and quality of meals, mostly finding places on the fly for pastries for a late breakfast then somewhere for early dinner.

The best pastries I found was from a hole in the wall called Las Vegas Donut House. The quality of the dough in their cinnamon roll rivals Kimuraya Bakery, was that good. Tried Cinnamon Roll French Toast from Coco's Family Restaurant. Meh. Too sweet. No way I could have eaten three. I forget the name of the first hole in the wall bakery we ate at. Wasn't so good but the Missus liked it. Panera Bread was something different. Had a good cherry Danish and some other pastry. Right before heading to the airport, Starbucks. Real boring breakfasts this trip.

Had lunch one day at the Fremont. The Missus was craving rib-eye. I could tell by the way she ate it, she loved it. I ate some grilled shrimp and clam chowder. The chowder was good. I think that was the only lunch we had on the entire trip.

Dinners: IN-N-OUT right after we got our rental car. At least we know what we're ordering there. Always good.

We tried Bachi Burger. The menu was really limited from plain burger (I should have ordered plain), to burgers with blu cheese, Unagi, miso and other stuff I don't like. I had the blu cheese one thinking it's only cheese. I like cheese on my burger. I'm sure if you would have loved this burger if you even don't mind blu cheese. I forgot how much I hated blu cheese. After the first bite, I was reminded. The oxtail chili fries appetizer was good. Huge portion. I'm sure other people really like this place.

Had the prime rib at Main Street Station. Our prime rib we make at home is better. Big piece for $17 though. Really wanted oxtail soup at the Cal after watch soccer in 40 degree weather but they don't serve oxtail soup until 11PM. Man, I was really looking forward to Oxtail soup. So disappointed.

Watched the Las Vegas Legends play one night at the Orleans Arena (what ever it's called). Arena Pizza and a pretzel was dinner. Arena food.

BBQ'ed one night at pool side. Salmon burger.

That was it for meals. Like I said, really skimped this trip. Lost three and a half pounds.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

808Hawaii wrote:
My3Cats wrote:BTW 808Hawaii, how was Vegas?

Stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Suites on the Strip, just past Circus Circus. We really skimped on the quantity and quality of meals, mostly finding places on the fly for pastries for a late breakfast then somewhere for early dinner.

The best pastries I found was from a hole in the wall called Las Vegas Donut House. The quality of the dough in their cinnamon roll rivals Kimuraya Bakery, was that good. Tried Cinnamon Roll French Toast from Coco's Family Restaurant. Meh. Too sweet. No way I could have eaten three. I forget the name of the first hole in the wall bakery we ate at. Wasn't so good but the Missus liked it. Panera Bread was something different. Had a good cherry Danish and some other pastry. Right before heading to the airport, Starbucks. Real boring breakfasts this trip.

Had lunch one day at the Fremont. The Missus was craving rib-eye. I could tell by the way she ate it, she loved it. I ate some grilled shrimp and clam chowder. The chowder was good. I think that was the only lunch we had on the entire trip.

Dinners: IN-N-OUT right after we got our rental car. At least we know what we're ordering there. Always good.

We tried Bachi Burger. The menu was really limited from plain burger (I should have ordered plain), to burgers with blu cheese, Unagi, miso and other stuff I don't like. I had the blu cheese one thinking it's only cheese. I like cheese on my burger. I'm sure if you would have loved this burger if you even don't mind blu cheese. I forgot how much I hated blu cheese. After the first bite, I was reminded. The oxtail chili fries appetizer was good. Huge portion. I'm sure other people really like this place.

Had the prime rib at Main Street Station. Our prime rib we make at home is better. Big piece for $17 though. Really wanted oxtail soup at the Cal after watch soccer in 40 degree weather but they don't serve oxtail soup until 11PM. Man, I was really looking forward to Oxtail soup. So disappointed.

Watched the Las Vegas Legends play one night at the Orleans Arena (what ever it's called). Arena Pizza and a pretzel was dinner. Arena food.

BBQ'ed one night at pool side. Salmon burger.

That was it for meals. Like I said, really skimped this trip. Lost three and a half pounds.

Whoa! I need to lose weight. Maybe if I take a trip and eat mostly only so-so food then I can lose 50 pounds?

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

My3Cats wrote: You only live once, and travel is rare. Food quality and taste count for me, not the cheap and plentiful but tasteless stuff.
:hello1: well said.......why travel to eat cheap? :-
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden