Best all time win?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Rabidfanman
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Best all time win?

Post by Rabidfanman »

Perhaps someone can talk to K-5 about replaying the greatest UH football games prior to the start of the season, as they tend to reply past games leading up to the start of the season. With that in mind, what are your choices for UH's best games? My top 3 are:

1. UH kicking some serious BYU okole in Rolo's last game. Simply awesome...I have it taped from the PPV (dont sue me Oceanic!) and enjoy the commercial breakaway comments from the ESPN commentators.

2. UH over Fresno State in Overtime and Aloha Stadium. Loudest I've ever heard the stadium, and even the old geezer 3rd quarter must leave crowd stayed. (btw, I am on the verge of old geezerness, perhaps over the edge, but I'm in denial!)\

3. UH over BYU on the day Ty Detmer won the Heisman. Jeff Sydner pose anyone?

OK did I miss any better?

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Re: Best all time win?

Post by H20 »

Rabidfanman wrote: 1. UH kicking some serious BYU okole in Rolo's last game. Simply awesome...I have it taped from the PPV (dont sue me Oceanic!) and enjoy the commercial breakaway comments from the ESPN commentators.
my favorite too. BEST......GAME......EVER
Rabidfanman wrote: 3. UH over BYU on the day Ty Detmer won the Heisman. Jeff Sydner pose anyone?
My number 2. Thanks to oceanic I saw it for the first time a few months ago.

I would have to go with the 2001 Fresno State win as one of the best for me. Similar situation with Detmer since Carr was drafted number 1. Rolo can always say that he out QB'd Carr that day. The comeback was awesome, all starting from a patented Fresno late hit on Lelie. Plus the last Lelie TD is still one of the best TD catches I have ever seen.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

i'd go with those 3 football games as my top 3, in the order fresno -> byu rolo -> byu detmer. maybe I'll give that miami-ohio game with rolo/roethlisberger battle an honorable mention.. it was surreal how both offenses were unstoppable in that game.

i'll throw this in. mens basketball: both last second shots to win by UH over byu (ruffin / whitlock), UH over #2 kansas: rainbow classic.

opihi
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by opihi »

those would be 3 of my favorite games as well.

i wanted to mention stomping wyoming in '92 to win UH's first WAC title. that was an exciting game. the team and the crowd went NUTS! i believe that was the game where travis sims broke a long run, but sensed he wasn't going to score so he crushed a wyoming db instead. good stuff.

i was also there for those 3 basketball games. ruffin almost casually bringing the ball up the court, then hitting the three after putting the ball between his legs and stepping back in one motion. whitlock (or tupac, as i call him) in the air, drifting out of bounds. was the kansas game the one where galloway had that 2 handed block?

robz04
High-quality H20 provider

Post by robz04 »

was the kansas game the one where galloway had that 2 handed block?
It was 1 handed, and he sent it into the 3rd row or something... on his way down! He went up, then was coming down as the guy went up for the shot and he sent it flying. I would have to go with the back-to-back BYU whippings we put on them here... 56-14 and 59-26. That second one, wasn't that the one where we took out 3 of their QB's with separated shoulders or something? ANd the first one, Al Noga had the safety, but the refs called it out at the 2. It was super cool to watch the first one at the stadium. It was rocking, and I swear it should have fell that night. I guess the rust really holds the "Rust Bowl" together just nicely. :D

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

opihi wrote:those would be 3 of my favorite games as well.

i wanted to mention stomping wyoming in '92 to win UH's first WAC title. that was an exciting game. the team and the crowd went NUTS! i believe that was the game where travis sims broke a long run, but sensed he wasn't going to score so he crushed a wyoming db instead. good stuff.

i was also there for those 3 basketball games. ruffin almost casually bringing the ball up the court, then hitting the three after putting the ball between his legs and stepping back in one motion. whitlock (or tupac, as i call him) in the air, drifting out of bounds. was the kansas game the one where galloway had that 2 handed block?
Hawaii destroyed my Wyoming Paniolos (O.K., Cowboys) that day, 42-18. That's O.K. After that game, Hawaii never saw the Paniolo Trophy again as Wyoming won the last five meetings (1993-97). Revenge is sweet! :lol:

P.S. I'm starting to like Hawaii just as much as Wyoming, football-wise. 8)

poi pounder
Starter
Starter
NBA: Lakers
NFL: 49ers
Location: Born in Honolulu; Raised in Wai-Kahala; Live in Northern California

Post by poi pounder »

Did you guys forget the 2002 away win against Fresno St., AT FRESNO!!! 31-21, remember? 5 min. left in the 4th, down 21-9? That one's gotta rank up there with the double slap-in-the-face wins of Fresno & BYU in 2001. Also, how about the 92' Holiday Bowl in San Diego over Illinois? I think it was 27-17? I can't remember, I have it on tape at home...matter of fact, I'll watch it tonight...

:leftfighter3: :footballhelmet:
"Hawaii" "Fresno St."
Hate to say it but... I want JJ back...

Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 10 »

They were all great wins, but I put the 1989 56-14 win over BYU above any other BYU win. First time beating them in 15 years after coming so close so many times, actually the biggest thrashing of BYU (margin of victory-wise) we ever gave, and personally I was still pre-teen at the time and this was about the time I started watching UH football, or any football.

1992 (I think still UH's greatest season EVER) was loaded with great games...
Started with a 24-21 win @ Oregon, ended with the 27-17 Holiday Bowl victory.
And in between, there was 36-32 over BYU and 47-45 over 9-4 Fresno... which even though I admit I hardly still remember what it was like, was probably the biggest win that season MAYBE besides the bowl. Man, I wish I could see these games again.

1999 OT over Fresno seemed bigger to me than the great 2001 win. JJ's turnaround season, to win the WAC, and the feeling in that OT was unbelievable.

Of course, both the Fresno and BYU wins in 2001 are still in my greats too, along with the 1990 ("Detmer") BYU win. :D

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Personally I like the games in this order:

Spoiling Detmer's Heismann presentation night - any slap in the face of BYU is great!

Beating Illinois - A Big Ten team ranked in the Top 10 at a neutral site? You can't really argue with that.

UH Class of 2001 just beating the piss out of the whining #12 ranked BY(boo-hoo) - sorry no BCS bowl for you and definately no Aloha!

There are so many others but these are the ones that stick out in my mind. On a side note, if Hawai'i could've pulled that win versus Notre Dame out of their Okoles, that would be up there too.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

robz04

Post by robz04 »

That's true... undefeated BYU coming into our house screaming BCS and then getting blown out. Now doesn't that make the BCS Committee look smart by not choosing them?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Those were all great games and some of my favorites! One I didn't see yet was the Hawaii vs Fresno St. when they went into......was it four over times? Very exciting game!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Hachiko

Re: Best all time win?

Post by Hachiko »

Rabidfanman wrote:Perhaps someone can talk to K-5 about replaying the greatest UH football games prior to the start of the season, as they tend to reply past games leading up to the start of the season. With that in mind, what are your choices for UH's best games? My top 3 are:

1. UH kicking some serious BYU okole in Rolo's last game. Simply awesome...I have it taped from the PPV (dont sue me Oceanic!) and enjoy the commercial breakaway comments from the ESPN commentators.

2. UH over Fresno State in Overtime and Aloha Stadium. Loudest I've ever heard the stadium, and even the old geezer 3rd quarter must leave crowd stayed. (btw, I am on the verge of old geezerness, perhaps over the edge, but I'm in denial!)\

3. UH over BYU on the day Ty Detmer won the Heisman. Jeff Sydner pose anyone?

OK did I miss any better?
1. Agree with you on that. UH should have gone to a bowl game, but the way the minor bowls were set up were so convoluted...they were the best team not to go bowling that year.

2. If this is the game in 1999 that won a share of the WAC hardware, yes indeed, that was a fun one.

3. Rub some salt in the Cougs' wounds! Yes!

just2bg

best all time

Post by just2bg »

How about the 1988 Hawaii vs Iowa game.Hekoti Fakava could not be stoped.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Welcome to the boards just2bg! I remember that game well, I went on my first ever date with a girl to that game and sat in the nose bleed section to watch Jason Elam beat the top ranked Iowa team in his freshman appearance as a rainbow. Hekoti Fakava is still one of my favorite Rainbows. I think if it wasn't for his injuries he would have had a chance in the NFL. His legs just never stopped, especially near the end zone.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Lucky Scott,

I need to find me a girl who wouldn't mind going on a football date :) Hopefully Hawaii's high scoring offense will rub off on me ;) later during the night :P