4/6/19 Practice Notes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

4/6/19 Practice Notes

Post by uhwarriors »

As covered elsewhere, the offense sprung some good runs. Holly had two, Reed and Hekili had one each. But don’t get too exited for the offense or too concerned about the defense. The defense for the most part did well against the run. One thing to consider is who was lining against who. Was it the 1s vs. 1s, 1s vs 2s, 1s vs. 3s, 2s vs 2s, etc.? Another thing is what scheme was the defense in? Base or nickel and blitz or no blitz? A good run should be there if the defense is in nickel and the run is away from a blitz. Another is was it an RPO and was the LB playing pass? Lots to consider. I don’t know the answers.

Transfer Elika Tanuvasa is the C of the 3rd oline. It’s amazing we have a 3rd oline this spring. Last year we didn’t have 2 olines.

1st group WRs are (L to R) Noa, Sharsh, Bryd, Ward. Others: Smart and Rooks are at LWR, Stoval and Ihu at LSB, Funkhouser and Phillips at RSB, Mardner and Panoke at RWR. Lots of learning and mixing and matching going on, so it’s not set in stone. We're much deeper at this position this year.

Uahinui has improved a lot from last year. He’s much more decisive and accurate than last year especially on short and medium throws. I think it’s just being much more comfortable with the system.

Laulu was playing with the 1s at the DT/DE position (Zeno’s spot last year).

I didn’t even recognize Russell with his weight loss. He wasn’t practicing and didn’t have his jersery on, so I didn’t realize it was him.

Lots of time spent on special team coverage. Ward, Byrd, Stovall and Phillips taking reps at PR.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: 4/6/19 Practice Notes

Post by ubercow »

thanks for the report

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Sounds like we are going to need Uahinui as a true third in case of injury. Both QBs were hurt last year. Is there anyone looking like they might be the next Ursua or Davone Bess? I was hoping that Stovall would fill that gap in not having John in the lineup. Is there any physical specimens out there on the OL/DL that just look like they are going to make a statement? Thanks uhwarriors, always appreciated.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

thanks! keep um coming

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:32 pm Sounds like we are going to need Uahinui as a true third in case of injury. Both QBs were hurt last year. Is there anyone looking like they might be the next Ursua or Davone Bess? I was hoping that Stovall would fill that gap in not having John in the lineup. Is there any physical specimens out there on the OL/DL that just look like they are going to make a statement? Thanks uhwarriors, always appreciated.
Right now, the SBs who have been in the system for a year like Byrd, Sharsh and Funkhouser are executing at a pretty high level. They understand the route adjustments and use the correct techniques to run their routes. Proper execution is very important in this offense for it to be productive. That said, Stovall has good quickness, speed, strength and hands. He could be explosive once he understands and executes the offense well. Phillips missed some practices in the first two weeks, so he is probably behind. But he has good quickness and seems to have good hands.

I'm always trying to understand the RNS better so I tend to watch the QBs and WRs a lot, so I haven't focused on the oline or dline much. I can make some general observations on physical changes. OT Manning appears to picked up some good weight. OG Vaipulu and C Levao on the other hand, have noticeably lost weight. I think there's a battle between Nuuanu-Kuhiki and Vanterpool at RT since they seem to be rotating with the 1s. DT Hune looks a lot thicker, probably picked up 10 or more pounds of muscle. Laulu appears to be bigger this year too. Justus Tavai looks like he lost some weight.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks uhwarriors! I'm hoping that some DL or linebacker is going to bring some attitude to the playing field. Ie, live Aloha play Beast.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Mahalo uhwarriors! Love these reports.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

sounds like we have good depth at all positions.

tanuvasa on the 3rd string? wow. he was a true freshman all american at eastern illinois. granted that is an fcs school, but he must be good. i expect him to eventually be a starter for us, but that shows we have good depth at oline this year. always an issue.

same with dline and cb.... easily 3 deep

btw, i'm assuming tanuvasa and ihu have to sit out this year because of transfer rules.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Tanuvasa still has to learn the offense and blocking scheme. So it's not surprising that he is third team. It'll be interesting to see how fast he can go up the depth chart.
ImageImage