JC QB Shawn Akina coming to UH

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

JC QB Shawn Akina coming to UH

Post by BigWave96744 »

Walked on at Arizona St, transferred to College of San Mateo. Will have 2-to play-2
QB from prominent Hawaii football family coming to UH
By Stephen Tsai March 19, 2019 Updated March 19, 2019 12:05am

A member of a prominent football family will join the University of Hawaii’s quarterback competition this summer.

Shawn “Kamali‘i” Akina said he will join the Rainbow Warriors shortly after completing work on his associate’s degree from College of San Mateo in May.

He is the youngest son of Duane Akina, a Punahou graduate and former assistant coach at UH.
Akina was the quarterback at Saint Francis High (Mountain View, Calif.), which ran a power-I offense. He was at Arizona State for a year before transferring to College of San Mateo. The Bulldogs relied mostly on the run-pass option, a key element of the Rainbow Warriors’ run-and-shoot offense. Former UH quarterback Dru Brown is a San Mateo alumnus.

The Warriors have three quarterbacks on the spring roster — Cole McDonald, Chevan Cordeiro and Justin Uahinui. They signed quarterbacks Boone Abbott and Zach Daniel to the 2019 recruiting class. The Warriors’ first practice of spring training is March 29
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/03/ ... ing-to-uh/

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: JC QB Shawn Akina coming to UH

Post by My3Cats »

You never know. Bryant Moniz started as a walk-on, fifth string quarterback who ascended the depth chart due to injuries above him.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

We need the arms for fall camp. And you never know what can happen.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:39 am We need the arms for fall camp. And you never know what can happen.
Too bad he can't be here in the spring. We are really short at QB in the spring. The efficiency of practices will be hampered by the lack of arms. There are run and shoot drills where all 4 receivers are thrown to simultaneously by 4 QBs. Rolo is probably going to have to fill the 4th QB spot in those drills. There's also a need for a scout team QB and a QB working with the RBs sometimes at the same time while the other QBs are working with the offense.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

If he is content with running a scout team, he would have stayed at Arizona St as a walkon

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:38 am
The Warriors have three quarterbacks on the spring roster — Cole McDonald, Chevan Cordeiro and Justin Uahinui. They signed quarterbacks Boone Abbott and Zach Daniel to the 2019 recruiting class. The Warriors’ first practice of spring training is March 29
I like how Rolo is stacking up QBs and building that "gap" between the players. So there is an Ace every year. Using old school thinking of where the upperclassman "earned" their playing time, Akina would really be competing against McDonald.

Rolo can bank Cordeiro as a Freshman, and the HS kids as redshirt. When McDonald is done, Cordeiro would be that much more awesome.