Football Offseason is killing me!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Football Offseason is killing me!

Post by My3Cats »

Spring practice not starting until March 29th. Things are too quiet now. What are everyone's thoughts about the upcoming 2019 season? Year Two of the RnS as well as Batoon's defense. I'm excited to see who improved their game of the returnees, and to see the newbies in action.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Football Offseason is killing me!

Post by cabanalane »

I know what you mean. The only thing I'm hardcore about is UH football.

Let's think of some stuff to talk about, or I may go nuts.

I'm excited to see the Defense too. In some ways, I like to see more power running. I know that's not the OG R&S, but I do see that Rolo think that's important. Off hand, forget now, there were a few teams that flat out beat UH because of their running. Then I suppose, we need to see how the O-Line is going to do first.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

Now that it's the second year coming for the RnS and the returning players have had a season under their belts I'm wondering if Rolo is going to open up the play book a little more. We need to keep the playbook evolving so that the opposing teams have a harder time figuring us out. I think that we really do need to work on our running game though. Just my opinion that we were far below par in our run game. Defenses didn't have to worry about that and just kept dropping 5-6 defenders back making it harder for our receivers to get open a lot of times. We need to get back to the Alex Green days of running to keep the defenses honest.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

honu888 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 pm Now that it's the second year coming for the RnS and the returning players have had a season under their belts I'm wondering if Rolo is going to open up the play book a little more. We need to keep the playbook evolving so that the opposing teams have a harder time figuring us out. I think that we really do need to work on our running game though. Just my opinion that we were far below par in our run game. Defenses didn't have to worry about that and just kept dropping 5-6 defenders back making it harder for our receivers to get open a lot of times. We need to get back to the Alex Green days of running to keep the defenses honest.
Not to mention the flare passes to Green that absolutely killed. Rolo/Smith really didn't install that play last season. Maybe ran it only a couple times. Beats the blitz and the 7 deep coverage at the same time.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Hoping for another winning season and step forward for the program, but the increase in schedule difficulty also has me just hoping we don't have another 2017-like bad surprise too. Team could easily be 1-5 to start the year if they're not careful. Spring/summer/fall development, as always, will be important. Winning at least 1/2 from Zona/Oregon State will be crucial.

Also really hoping the Hawaii Bowl minus Ursua wasn't a prelude.

On a positive note, hoping the defense continues their post-bye progress into this off-season. Also, the staff has been kept intact. That's a huge positive.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 pm Not to mention the flare passes to Green that absolutely killed. Rolo/Smith really didn't install that play last season. Maybe ran it only a couple times. Beats the blitz and the 7 deep coverage at the same time.
The backs have to have the ability to catch the ball and make a gain and that's kind of a special talent. None of the backs except for Elijah Dale had the ability to catch the ball on the run and go vertical. Even in the NFL, I think there is nobody like Roger Craig that could catch the ball in the flat and make good yardage.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Running game will get better as o-line play gets better. The freshmen on the line were a little too slow to the point of attack on a lot of run plays. That needs to get better or it won't matter what plays they call.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Kicking is another area. Year 2 was way better than Year 1 of the Rolo era. But it's barely average.

Maybe cause we been spoiled by good kicking pre-Rolo.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I just hope that if Rolo/Smith/Stutz keep trying to run the RPO that it works more often than not.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Rigo Sanchez was a gift from heaven. He's now a starter in the NFL. Coverage on special teams was a problem that was corrected last year. IDK, guys...we switched from many years of amateur newbies to seasoned veteran coaches last year. That, coupled with a largely freshman line....produced...meh.

ahui ho!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

8 days away from Spring practice!

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

It is critical that we find a multi-purpose back. We need a back that can run, catch and block. We are t00 dimensional and predictable with specialized backs. Other then Augafa I don't know if the other backs can catch passes. We will see a lot of 8 in the secondary without a multi-threat back. If Furuta is in you can rush three or four and have a LB key on Furuta. If Holly or Miles is in you can play the run and blitz. In either scenario there is no concern for passes out of the backfield. Advantage D. We need to stretch the field vertically and horizontally. Swing passes are a necessity to slow down the DEs and keep the LBs closer to the line of scrimmage which will open up mid-range and deeper passes. Getting a faster, shiftier back in space one-on-one with a LB is advantage Hawaii.

In the past our focus has been on specialization. A back that can block, a back that can run. Our priority should be a back that can run, block and catch a pass. We need to set that expectation for our backs in the off season and going into spring ball. It is about improving as a team and improving as a player. You improve based on what is being emphasized. If we expect your backs to block first that is where the improvement will be. Having a starting back that can do all three will add a whole new dimension to our offense and stress the D.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yeah, a good RB that can catch short passes would nice. I don't mean shovel passes.

I also like to see the offense to not defined as R&S. Just run whatever play that works. (I see Rolo did do that). It seems like fans want the empty set with all receivers. That's great for highlights, but let's not forget there was also a lot of 3 and outs during JJ era.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

It may be just me but some of the articles about football during the offseason lacks substance.
https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/foot ... ion-camps/

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Tsai's reporting has been quite a bit lightweight in recent years. Or has his writing always been this way?