New walkon rule

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

New walkon rule

Post by Irse »

Now a walkon has to be in the program for one year and can get a scholarship without counting as an initial.

Good for the two PWO that we got today. Maybe Eletise and Kapoi can come back for one year then get their scholarships.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New walkon rule

Post by poidog »

This rule change is huge for us. We can build roster depth with local kids who have D1 potential but normally would be forced to go away because of the numbers game. Now they have a shot to earn a scholarship after a single year of in-state tuition and they don't have to go to places like New Mexico State. If most of this year's PWO's get a scholarship after 1 season, it will be a great tool to help us keep the local talent home. Maybe the next Jordan Ta'amu or similar doesn't go away if he has a realistic path to a roster spot without being an initial offer...

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Can someone offer a summary of what's included in a "scholarship"? Let's talk about in-state for local players. I didn't look it up for UH, but let's say $13K a year in tuition. Ok, plus books, fees, etc. I know that's a lot of money for some families, but that's like tuition to Saint Louis high school.

Don't take this the wrong way, so what's the difference between scholarship vs WO? Are there other benefits of being a scholarship players vs someone that's not?

Maybe asking like do they get free food? Homework help and tutoring? Better (sports) medical care? And what about that player stipend? Did that ever get finalized?

Are there advantages or disadvantages from a player's perspective (beside cost of tuition)?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I know some lady from one of the airlines telling me that her son was at Cal playing football from Hawaii and that he was getting $1500/mo (about 10 years ago) which I guess was for room and board. I don't really know what their stipend amount is although I'm led to believe that the stipend amount is about $3000+ per year based on the article below from 2015. Of course road games, its a given that they probably are fed.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... story.html
Last edited by shrek2 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:16 am Can someone offer a summary of what's included in a "scholarship"? Let's talk about in-state for local players. I didn't look it up for UH, but let's say $13K a year in tuition. Ok, plus books, fees, etc. I know that's a lot of money for some families, but that's like tuition to Saint Louis high school.

Don't take this the wrong way, so what's the difference between scholarship vs WO? Are there other benefits of being a scholarship players vs someone that's not?

Maybe asking like do they get free food? Homework help and tutoring? Better (sports) medical care? And what about that player stipend? Did that ever get finalized?

Are there advantages or disadvantages from a player's perspective (beside cost of tuition)?
Not sure exactly what is the difference but I think scholarship players get the Cost of Attendance and meals (training table) that walkons don't get.

I would think that tutors and medical care would be the same.
ImageImage