All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Lincoln Victor signs with Hawaii

Post by Palolo_2LA »

kapakahi wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 pm
Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:40 pmI'll bet he'll redshirt since he is not ready to displace Bird or Sharsh, but that's not a knock. He can come in learn, grow and be ready if needed. The kid is a playmaker and I love the idea of having him return kicks and punts as well down the line.
Definitely not a knock.....especially when you consider that the following former UH receivers each redshirted their true frosh season....
- Ross Dickerson
- Ryan Grice-Mullen
- Britton Komine
- Ashley Lelie
- Jeremiah Ostrowski
- Chad Owens
- Royce Pollard
- Greg Salas
- Billy Ray Stutzmann
- John Ursua
Great point about the former greats who redshirted...I was making the point bc when he committed he specifically mentioned playing this yr. I doubt he's physically ready from a durability stand point since he's thin.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Watching him play, in limited time, last night he kinda reminds me of a young Nate Iloa, when he first arrived to UH as a slot back before he became Nasty Nate the RB.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

If he can put on a few pounds and can block, I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do as a RB. He seems to be able to run through tackles and has some moves.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Electric!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:45 am Watching him play, in limited time, last night he kinda reminds me of a young Nate Iloa, when he first arrived to UH as a slot back before he became Nasty Nate the RB.
Right after that TD, I told Nate, "Brah kid looks like Young Nasty!!!"

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

With respect to Nate Iloa, I rather not see him be like Nate Iloa.

Sure, we like him to be more of a beast, with size to block, etc. But I think that will hurt (slow) other parts of his game.

Recall Joey Iosefa was drafted by UH to be QB. Sure, he gain weight to be a good RB. But he was far from QB form. Chow didn't need him to be QB, but nonetheless.

It's nice to see Receivers that will bull through after a catch. I like to see LV do more of that.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am With respect to Nate Iloa, I rather not see him be like Nate Iloa.

Sure, we like him to be more of a beast, with size to block, etc. But I think that will hurt (slow) other parts of his game.

Recall Joey Iosefa was drafted by UH to be QB. Sure, he gain weight to be a good RB. But he was far from QB form. Chow didn't need him to be QB, but nonetheless.

It's nice to see Receivers that will bull through after a catch. I like to see LV do more of that.
I don’t recall a moment when McMackin’s or Chow’s staff ever try to make Iosefa a QB. I always thought he was always gonna play RB the moment he was recruited by UH.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am With respect to Nate Iloa, I rather not see him be like Nate Iloa.
In 2002, as a RS Frosh Slotback, Nasty Nate may may been one the most exciting players to play for Hawaii.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:18 am

I don’t recall a moment when McMackin’s or Chow’s staff ever try to make Iosefa a QB. I always thought he was always gonna play RB the moment he was recruited by UH.
I don't think UH ever wanted him to be QB, but IIRC, he was listed as QB in the very beginning when he was recruited. I recall my "surprise" that UH signed a QB from American Samoa.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:40 pm I'll bet he'll redshirt since he is not ready to displace Bird or Sharsh, but that's not a knock. He can come in learn, grow and be ready if needed. The kid is a playmaker and I love the idea of having him return kicks and punts as well down the line.
This is not anti-Sharsh, but why is Sharsh "high" on the list? Honestly, I've not seen much from him. Ok, he has not made many mistakes, unless we count not catching the ball. Then again, maybe that was other factors. Either case, I can't really think of one game where I would say Sharsh had a great game.

Maybe the better way to put this is, Sharsh's stock is lower now, only because others are/gotten better.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:15 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:40 pm I'll bet he'll redshirt since he is not ready to displace Bird or Sharsh, but that's not a knock. He can come in learn, grow and be ready if needed. The kid is a playmaker and I love the idea of having him return kicks and punts as well down the line.
This is not anti-Sharsh, but why is Sharsh "high" on the list? Honestly, I've not seen much from him. Ok, he has not made many mistakes, unless we count not catching the ball. Then again, maybe that was other factors. Either case, I can't really think of one game where I would say Sharsh had a great game.

Maybe the better way to put this is, Sharsh's stock is lower now, only because others are/gotten better.
Sharsh knows the offense and is where he is supposed to be. He's more of the possession type receiver.
ImageImage

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

While I’d love to see Byrd, Ward, Stovall, and Victor, on the field at same time ... we need Sharsh.

I remember Chad Owens first TD under June Jones. He dove into end zone and got a unsportsmanlike penalty for it. June Jones, when asked about it said, “that’s the way the games supposed to be played.” I agree. Victor reminds me of CO.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Grinch wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 am While I’d love to see Byrd, Ward, Stovall, and Victor, on the field at same time ... we need Sharsh.
That would be my "starting 4" receivers, with Sharsh being the 5th man and 1st "off the bench" in rotation. Red shirt or not, use them all up (for Victor), UH does need to win now and at 3-1 can still be magical. There will be other Receivers joining team, especially if UH make a good showing.

Since Rolo's R&S, all Receivers became "that much better" The only (top) guy that failed to benefit from R&S is Timoteo (whatever the reason was).

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Our strength is our receivers. We have deep threats in Ward and Byrd. We have quickness. We have a good possession receiver in Smart. We have play makers in Stovall, Victor and Smart. We need to take advantage of our strengths, stretch the field vertically, create match up problems for the D, create confusion with motion, mix it up with short, medium and long passes. We have a QB that can throw the short passes accurately and deliver the long passes on the money. And if he needs to run.

It all starts with receivers who can beat press coverage and stretch the field vertically. I'd start Smart, Stovall, Byrd and Ward.

I also like empty backfield with the 5th receiver being Victor or Philips. We need lots of motion. Jet sweeps, pitches to the far side.

My other option is Smart, Stovall, Byrd and Ward with passes to Victor or Stovall out of the backfield running wheel routes or swing passes. Swing passes will slow rush ends. Getting the ball to Stovall or Victor in space against a LB would be a nightmare for LBs. Both are big play makers. Both can beat LBs in open space.

Stretch the field vertically and you open the short and mid passing lanes. Passes to the RBs slow down the DEs and keep the LBs closer to the line of scrimmage. Mix it up and you can confuse the safties and LBs.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Can UH's RB catch? I don't mean Shovel Pass. Can they catch short passes?

McDonald's Shovel Pass look like Garrett Gabriel's dead duck throws.

McDonald's shovel pass just don't look right. It's sort of like when they run the Option. Michael Carter's Options were like ballet. McDonald's Option (and eve CC's Option) look like WTF.