ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

New Stadium Moving Forward?

Post by ulua »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/11/3 ... 6a0c61675e
The process of determining a successor to Aloha Stadium will enter its most significant phase in more than five years next month, when work on a stadium master plan and environmental impact statement is scheduled to commence.

The timeline was laid out at an Aloha Stadium Authority meeting Thursday in a closed-door executive session with representatives of the Department of Accounting and General Services planning branch.
A new stadium needs to be built soon, the longer they wait the more the new stadium will cost, not to mention the amount it will cost to keep fixing Aloha Stadium in the mean time.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: New Stadium Moving Forward?

Post by honu888 »

It's another step in the right direction at least. I'm sure everyone will be curious to see what the final plans will be for location and schematics. It says that when given the go ahead the best case scenario for work to begin is late 2021-2022. So depending how long construction will be our first game would probably be 2023-2024 seasons. I hope I'm still alive to see our first game there.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

ulua wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:18 am

A new stadium needs to be built soon, the longer they wait the more the new stadium will cost, not to mention the amount it will cost to keep fixing Aloha Stadium in the mean time.
Exactly. Imagine when they built the rail when Fasi first envisioned it.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

It's take about 5 years to make a plan. Then about 10 years to build it and it'll be out of date by the time it's finished. Plus it'll be over the budget.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

How's the job market look? From what I read there's a lot going on in Kakaako. If they start now, then Hawaii will need more workers and then have to lay off people.

Wait 5-10 years from now, Kakaako would be done with no open space, and guys can still be employ to work on the new stadium, no?

And after the stadium, I'm sure Brookfield would want to add 4th and 5th floor to Ala Moana.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Guys I know it’s hard not to be a cynic these days with all that’s going on with the city and states slow and mismanaged projects, but the fact is this, Aloha Stadium needs expensive repairs to just be safe for occupancy for another 20-40 years or it’s needs to be replaced by a slightly less expensive new stadium.

ulua
All-American
All-American

Post by ulua »

Is this going to be a multi venue stadium?
Meaning Pro Bowl if it ever returns, MLS, MLB, NFL preseason games concerts and so forth or will it be strictly UH and High School games?

Just asking cause if it’s goomg to be multi venue will 35k be big enough to attract those kinds of pro sports or concerts etc.? If just for UH and High School sports then 35k is big enough

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

ulua wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:42 pm Is this going to be a multi venue stadium?
Meaning Pro Bowl of it ever returns, MLS, MLB, NFL preseason games concerts and so forth or will it be strictly UH and High School games?

Just asking cause if it’s goomg to be multi venue will 35k be big enough to attract those kinds of pro sports or concerts etc.? If just for UH and High School sports then 35k is big enough
As it’s currently designed in the concept plans, it is a multi venue stadium with exception of baseball.

I don’t see the Pro Bowl game lasting much longer and if it continues, I don’t see it coming back to Hawaii full time. NFL preseason games I think will be a once-a-year thing at most.

I think a capacity of 35,000 is enough for the most part. Rarely these days does the current Aloha Stadium ever fill up to its full capacity of 50,000. Personally if it were up to me I would want a 40,000 seat stadium with the ability to expand to 45,000 if need be.

A couple stadiums recently built I think the “New Aloha Stadium” can take inspiration from is McLane Stadium, which is Baylor’s football stadium and Mosaic Stadium, home to the CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders.

O.Ranks
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by O.Ranks »

EITSwarrior wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:22 pm As it’s currently designed in the concept plans, it is a multi venue stadium with exception of baseball.

I don’t see the Pro Bowl game lasting much longer and if it continues, I don’t see it coming back to Hawaii full time. NFL preseason games I think will be a once-a-year thing at most.

I think a capacity of 35,000 is enough for the most part. Rarely these days does the current Aloha Stadium ever fill up to its full capacity of 50,000. Personally if it were up to me I would want a 40,000 seat stadium with the ability to expand to 45,000 if need be.

A couple stadiums recently built I think the “New Aloha Stadium” can take inspiration from is McLane Stadium, which is Baylor’s football stadium and Mosaic Stadium, home to the CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders.
40,000 was what I was thinking too.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

whatever it is, it better not have bench seating. that's all that matters to me.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

poidog wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 pm whatever it is, it better not have bench seating. that's all that matters to me.
Bench seating would suck but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did go that route. It’s probably cheaper and very low maintenance.

ulua
All-American
All-American

Post by ulua »

honu888 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:36 am
poidog wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 pm whatever it is, it better not have bench seating. that's all that matters to me.
Bench seating would suck but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did go that route. It’s probably cheaper and very low maintenance.
Yah that would really suck if they went bench style.

Also would be awesome if 30 to 40k seats with the possibility of expanding to 45 to 50k for bigger events

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Bench seating is really a pain in the okole. No wonder many fans on the mainland in stadiums with bench seating stand the entire game. And imagine sitting (butt) cheek to (butt) cheek with your neighbor.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:21 pm Bench seating is really a pain in the okole. No wonder many fans on the mainland in stadiums with bench seating stand the entire game. And imagine sitting (butt) cheek to (butt) cheek with your neighbor.
Even stadiums like the Rose bowl with regular seats are so small and cramped. I really like aloha stadium.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

if the gonna build a tiny 35,000 seat stadium then what's the point?? man vision was bigger in the 70's when they built a 50,000 seater. Just build a nice big one so we can host many events and not be limited, lets just use cook field for the time being, maybe, just maybe we can sell that place out hahaha maybe