Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: New Stadium Moving Forward?

Post by stranger808 »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:21 pm Bench seating is really a pain in the okole. No wonder many fans on the mainland in stadiums with bench seating stand the entire game. And imagine sitting (butt) cheek to (butt) cheek with your neighbor.
it would be like an uncomfortable plane ride in da economy class.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

whirlygig5 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:01 pm if the gonna build a tiny 35,000 seat stadium then what's the point?? man vision was bigger in the 70's when they built a 50,000 seater. Just build a nice big one so we can host many events and not be limited, lets just use cook field for the time being, maybe, just maybe we can sell that place out hahaha maybe
How many events these days warrant a 50,000 seat stadium in Hawaii? UH football rarely breaks 30,000. Even during the 2007 undefeated season, only the Boise, Washington and maybe Fresno games sold out. Pro Bowl isn’t coming back any time soon and the NFL may axe the game outright. NFL preseason games LOL. Super Bowl, gonna need at least a 65,000 seat stadium. But there are many other factors involved when choosing a Super Bowl site like hotel capacity, fan travel, etc. Concerts, sure Bruno sold out three shows. But who and when sold out Aloha Stadium before that? And UFC not gonna happen.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 pm whatever it is, it better not have bench seating. that's all that matters to me.
I don’t like bench seats either, but I’d be okay with them if it had back rests like some stadiums do.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

How many events these days warrant a 50,000 seat stadium in Hawaii? UH football rarely breaks 30,000. Even during the 2007 undefeated season, only the Boise, Washington and maybe Fresno games sold out. Pro Bowl isn’t coming back any time soon and the NFL may axe the game outright. NFL preseason games LOL. Super Bowl, gonna need at least a 65,000 seat stadium. But there are many other factors involved when choosing a Super Bowl site like hotel capacity, fan travel, etc. Concerts, sure Bruno sold out three shows. But who and when sold out Aloha Stadium before that? And UFC not gonna happen.

in 1970 they had bigger visions, are we digressing?? gotta think big....gotta be prepared, don't wanna loose any events cz of a tiny stadium, at lease have the ability to expand if needed

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

We also have to factor in the "decline" of football. Kids don't play football, like they used to. There is no interest in today's iPad/iPhone era.

30-40 years ago, we all played football, 3X a day (Morning before school starts, 1st recess, and lunch recess) even when we got no chance to even make it on the JV team.

30K-35K seat stadium rocking is a lot better than Rose Bowl half full.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

whirlygig5 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 pm How many events these days warrant a 50,000 seat stadium in Hawaii? UH football rarely breaks 30,000. Even during the 2007 undefeated season, only the Boise, Washington and maybe Fresno games sold out. Pro Bowl isn’t coming back any time soon and the NFL may axe the game outright. NFL preseason games LOL. Super Bowl, gonna need at least a 65,000 seat stadium. But there are many other factors involved when choosing a Super Bowl site like hotel capacity, fan travel, etc. Concerts, sure Bruno sold out three shows. But who and when sold out Aloha Stadium before that? And UFC not gonna happen.

in 1970 they had bigger visions, are we digressing?? gotta think big....gotta be prepared, don't wanna loose any events cz of a tiny stadium, at lease have the ability to expand if needed
Things were a lot different in the 70s. No PPV. No gluttony of football on TV. People were willing to come to the game because that was the big entertainment back then. Now, people have other options. A lot of them.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

whirlygig5 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 pm
Hey I’d like to have a big stadium as well, but who is paying for it? Taxpayers of Hawaii are unless some private entities want to pitch in. Besides what events are we gonna lose if we have a “tiny stadium”?

P.S. 35,000 with the ability to expand to 40,000 is not small.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

whirlygig5 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:01 pm if the gonna build a tiny 35,000 seat stadium then what's the point?? man vision was bigger in the 70's when they built a 50,000 seater. Just build a nice big one so we can host many events and not be limited, lets just use cook field for the time being, maybe, just maybe we can sell that place out hahaha maybe
The folks who had the vision in the 1970's probably envisioned that UH would get invited to join the PAC-8. Well they became the PAC-10 and now the PAC-12 and no invitation was ever forthcoming. That conference even told Jim Donovan, "don't call us, we'll call you". Since then, college football crowds across the country, not to mention here in Hawaii, have been shrinking. 35,000 is sufficient.

"The last NFL exhibition game played here came in 1976 when the San Francisco 49ers and San Diego Chargers drew 36,364 to Aloha Stadium." as per the Star-Advertiser on August 30, 2018 with the announcement that the Rams intend to play a preseason game in 2019. Because I did not take Algebra II I no can figure out how long that's been since it last happened. But dang, that was when I started at UH!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

whirlygig5

Post by whirlygig5 »

So those of you who didn’t see the point of building 50,000 seat stadium and what events would warrant building it well looks like the pre-season game between cowboys and rams does. And heard more pre-season games might be coming this way... see how fast it sold out???? Hm..... think NFL would even consider playing here if it was 35,000????? Hm... this is the kind of vision I was speaking of

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

whirlygig5 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:15 pm So those of you who didn’t see the point of building 50,000 seat stadium and what events would warrant building it well looks like the pre-season game between cowboys and rams does. And heard more pre-season games might be coming this way... see how fast it sold out???? Hm..... think NFL would even consider playing here if it was 35,000????? Hm... this is the kind of vision I was speaking of
Have fun watching a preseason game with Blake Bortles vs whoever Dallas’ backup QB is, Cooper Rush, Mike White or maybe even Sam Bradford according to the rumor mill. Not gonna waste my time or money watching a crappy preseason game.
If the NFL wants to have a regular season game here the league is gonna demand AT LEAST a 60,000 seat stadium with luxury boxes. If they’re willing to pony up the money for it, fine. I guarantee they won’t. That being said it will fall upon the taxpayers to pay for it. And I’m not really willing to pay for the off chance Hawaii may or may not get a regular season NFL game.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Hawaii fans are so starved for any NFL game that I'm not surprised that the preseason game got sold out. Hawaii people also lined up for hours and days and weeks for the opening of Daiso, Beard Papa, Cinnabons, etc., etc., etc.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:41 pm Hawaii fans are so starved for any NFL game that I'm not surprised that the preseason game got sold out. Hawaii people also lined up for hours and days and weeks for the opening of Daiso, Beard Papa, Cinnabons, etc., etc., etc.
Preseason game got sold out because of the computer BOTS set up by the ticket agencies.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Irse wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:18 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:41 pm Hawaii fans are so starved for any NFL game that I'm not surprised that the preseason game got sold out. Hawaii people also lined up for hours and days and weeks for the opening of Daiso, Beard Papa, Cinnabons, etc., etc., etc.
Preseason game got sold out because of the computer BOTS set up by the ticket agencies.
No doubt to generate false excitement to set up exorbitant prices on the secondary market.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I've been MIA, so where is this new stadium going to be built?
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:20 pm I've been MIA, so where is this new stadium going to be built?
Same site, but probably where the lower parking lot is now. Design and planning for the rest of the site was in concept stage only and will most likely not look like that when the contracts are signed and the site is designed.